Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #20896
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's the first Pi I've owned, and I really like it - but I can't help feeling it's catering for a different market than before. Previous models often formed the heart of electronics projects in place of (or requiring more than) a basic micro-controller, but the Pi 4B has become so advanced - not to mention power hungry - that it's really more suited to desktop, server, media and software development use. It's overkill for most electronic projects, IMHO. I also have a couple of Pi Zero W boards which are a fraction of the price, smaller, much less powerful (of course) but draw far less current, and they're ideal for electronics projects. Honestly, I use those a lot more than the Pi 4B..
Cool computer!

One hobbyist segment that will be extremely pleased by the Pi 4 are those looking to muck about with machine learning, AI, and more intensive data collection. The Pi 4 is a much more powerful machine than any of it's predecessors (Benchmarking the Raspberry Pi 4. Last year?s release of the Raspberry Pi? | by Gareth Halfacree | Medium). For signal processing and machine learning, the new Pi has 4X the Linpack computing performance and 10X the data bandwidth on the USB bus. It also has 3X the speed on the GPIO side which should enable projects needing more responsive control of things like robotics.

That said, you are probably right that Raspberry Pi is looking to expand sales to non-hobbyists looking for a cheap desktop.

Have fun!

11-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #20897
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
So.... on a recent photography trip away my "pie oven" worked so well that I decided I need to have my expresso coffee maker with me as well.... so just bought a 1700w 240v inverter and installed it in the car today... so... now have a fridge, oven and expresso machine when roughing it in the aussie outback. I already added a lithium battery a couple of years ago.... coffee machine only needs 100amps at 12v for 10 minutes or so.

It was whilst having a pie and a beer on the last trip at an old pub ruin the we realised we needed a coffee after.

Note.... Blinman.... a town in the northern flinders ranges has become popular for it's pies at the old pub (1870s)..... the guy that built that pub built the one in the picture 10 years before hand to serve a copper mine....Nuccaleena mine... this mine only really worked for 10 years... so we decided to have a pie there instead... and a beer.... a bit more secluded.
Pie and beer.

Mmmm . . . . . Tasty!
11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #20898
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, they look like this. I figured that you would want to a model wearing them and not an old fart like myself. You can see the zipper next to the left pocket.
Nice shirt. I live near Ridgefield (birthplace of U-Haul) and should probably get one.

Steve
11-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #20899
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, they look like this. I figured that you would want to a model wearing them and not an old fart like myself. You can see the zipper next to the left pocket.

I have a travel shirt that has a large, deep zippered pocked behind a large flap-closed pocket on the left, then way down at the bottom edge of the front, below the last lowest button, there's a small zippered pocket intended for credit cards. Keep the shirt tucked inside your trousers (it would strange otherwise = very long tail and front intended to keep the shirt deep inside your trousers.

11-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #20900
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I hope to do is eventually pick up several more Pi4s and 3D print a rack mount case for all of them. (I already have the file for it, just need to print it and to buy the Pi's.) The PoE feature of the Pi's is a rather nice feature, though it adds a bit more to the cost as you have to buy the PoE HAT separate.
11-05-2020, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #20901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For some reason I decided it was time to start collecting yet another lens mount...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
11-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #20902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Acquired some 120 film from B&H to do some testing/learning on a new Mamiya TLR. Only uses this Arista film once in 35 mm and was not horribly impressed but that may have been more user error than a problem with the film.

Some inexpensive 120 films are manufactured on a very thin base.
This makes them extremely difficult to load on a developing tank reel.
Please report back to us your experience with this current Arista film.

Chris

11-05-2020, 05:05 PM - 4 Likes   #20903
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been trying to get one of these since last May. A 2021 Forrest River E-Pro 19FBS RV trailer. One came into a nearby dealer and the person who ordered it backed out. So I stepped up to the plate. It has been lifted with 15" tires added. Better ground clearance for off road use. 100W solar panel on top plus a plug so I can add my other solar panels. Welded aluminum frame and plastic hard foam insulation so it won't sag over time. And the bed is heated!!!! Even comes with a WiFi hot spot and 22" TV with CD player already installed.

Two propane tanks and two batteries so plenty of off the grid time if we so desire. During the whole process my wife sat pretty passive and kept saying "It's up to you.". After we closed the deal we got out t the parking lot and my wife started jumping up and down with a big smile on her face she was so happy. She said she kept quiet so as not to pressure me into a decision. I already have a 3000W inverter generator so that will power the whole rig in a pinch if needed.

We owned a pop-up trailer from 1987 to 2004 and had some epic vacations in it. She has been wanting another RV ever since.

Not what I was planning to purchase when I got up this morning. Looks like this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX7  Photo 
11-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #20904
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some inexpensive 120 films are manufactured on a very thin base.
This makes them extremely difficult to load on a developing tank reel.
Please report back to us your experience with this current Arista film.

Chris
Will do. I’ll be using a Yankee Clipper reel/tank which I generally find pretty easy to load.
11-05-2020, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #20905
Veteran Member

Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC
Got it for astrophotography but really enjoy using it for faux macro and on stage musician portraits... Aim it straight at the lights and let it fly!
11-05-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #20906
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have many manual lenses, but I do like my M 50/1.7 and A 50/1.7 lenses. I have a Tokina 28mm that takes nice shots, but the focus is backwards compared to the Pentax lenses which just feels awkward and it focuses a tiny bit past infinity. I want to pick up an A version of the lens at some point.
11-05-2020, 09:56 PM - 7 Likes   #20907
Veteran Member

I made a wooden handle from kingwood for my camera cage yesterday based on the dimensions of the SmallRig handle.

While comfortable, it was a little deep, so i figured, ‘why not make another?’ So this afternoon I made a shallower one from lacewood.

Last edited by neokind; 11-05-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Fixed links—but now the images are HUGE!
11-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #20908
Veteran Member

Beautiful wood work.
11-05-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #20909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For some reason I decided it was time to start collecting yet another lens mount...
I rather like this model. Clearly a bayonet mount version of the St605, a very nice M42 mechanical budget offering. So nice I have two of them!. Lots of silly criticism of these for their "slow" 1/700 max shutter speed. Actually I believe the speed is not slow but accurate. Back in the 70's and 80's test reports used to test the accuracy of a camera's shutter. I remember the the Pentax MX was tested st around 1/750 of a second, not the stated 1/1000 and I have review of the Nikon F2 only reaching around 1/1500 of a second not 1/2000. Electronic shutters were more accurate but still did not reach their stated speeds. In the days of film it did not really matter as any exposure error was compensated for by the reciprocity failure of film at high speeds.
11-06-2020, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #20910
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma fp and Panasonic S 24-105mm/f4