Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #20926
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I think he is referring to the 'old' hard-disks those at 7200 r.p.m or worse at 5400 r.p.m, certainly not the current SSD.

Mario
It was some time ago, and it was one with a a whirly thing inside.

Apparently there were makers of 'silent hard drives' of the rotating disc kind. You just had to know who and be willing to pay the rather higher than normal disc prices.

11-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #20927
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It also has a integrated hot-shoe instead of one attached to the housing on a black piece of plastic.
I had to tighten the black housing hot shoe on my TL3 Super and I can assure you that the shoe is secured to the camera chassis, not the black plastic or the top plate. Yes, I was surprised too.

Steve
11-07-2020, 05:58 PM - 3 Likes   #20928
Pentaxian

So it looks like I'm stepping up to a K-3... a barely used one should be here on Friday...
11-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #20929
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisition is an off the shelf cleaner/lubricator/sealer, 5 quarts of oil, an oil filter, and an OBD-II scanner. Now when my car throws an error code, I don't have to have my boss bring his scanner in for me to read and clear the code anymore. Need to take some time tomorrow morning to run the oil treatment through the engine and then change the oil. Last time my car was throwing this error, changing the oil fixed it. I'm hoping using this treatment through before changing the oil will stop it from happening the next time I need to change my oil. (The error seems to happen a few hundred miles before I would normally need to change the oil and has gone away after changing the oil.)

11-07-2020, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #20930
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So it looks like I'm stepping up to a K-3... a barely used one should be here on Friday...
I think you are going to like it...

Steve
11-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #20931

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
My latest acquisition is an off the shelf cleaner/lubricator/sealer, 5 quarts of oil, an oil filter, and an OBD-II scanner. Now when my car throws an error code, I don't have to have my boss bring his scanner in for me to read and clear the code anymore. Need to take some time tomorrow morning to run the oil treatment through the engine and then change the oil. Last time my car was throwing this error, changing the oil fixed it. I'm hoping using this treatment through before changing the oil will stop it from happening the next time I need to change my oil. (The error seems to happen a few hundred miles before I would normally need to change the oil and has gone away after changing the oil.)
I'm not a mechanic but that seems odd. Personally, I would have my oil tested to see if there's anything odd going on. And if the oil is holding up like it should. The only oil brand I've used that came back too thin was Pennzoil. Oddly, my dad always said Pennzoil looked too thin when pouring it out of a can.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

11-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #20932
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I'm not a mechanic but that seems odd. Personally, I would have my oil tested to see if there's anything odd going on. And if the oil is holding up like it should. The only oil brand I've used that came back too thin was Pennzoil. Oddly, my dad always said Pennzoil looked too thin when pouring it out of a can.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
It seems to be an issue from when I had the exhaust warranty repaired. In order for them to get what they had to do, they would have had to remove the oil pan. It seems they must have (though they swear they didn't) not refilled the oil or something. Oddly, the car never had any errors until one day when it started having a bad vibration and the CEL came on. Checked my oil level and found it bone dry. From further research, it seems the one part may have seized due to oil starvation. Seems it'll cost a couple grand to permanently fix, but fresh oil seems to do the trick as well. Just have to do it a few hundred miles earlier than I would normally need to. Hoping this cleaner might get it working without having to take the engine apart to replace the part.

11-07-2020, 10:09 PM - 3 Likes   #20933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For Cdn $10.50 including postage, a Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps hat badge appropriate for my years of service in the Corps: 1962-1967.
Smc PENTAX-FA Macro 100mm F2.8, K-3, Av, ISO 3200, 1/160 @ f/2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-08-2020, 05:40 AM   #20934
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I use the same case and it is very effective. Make sure your Pi4 has the latest firmware as well.
Yes, I'm up to date on firmware (but thanks for mentioning it - I did have to check!!).

I've almost immediately run up against a compromise with the FLIRC case. It's robust and the passive cooling works exactly as I'd hoped... but since there's a chunk of aluminium surrounding the Pi 4 (instead of the plastic case I used previously), the wifi signal on both 2.4GHz and especially 5GHz isn't sufficient for fast and reliable communication between my hobby room upstairs where the Pi is situated and my living room where the router sits I'm only getting 2Mbps at best, and occasional disconnect / reconnect. I could relocate the Pi to my living room, since I mostly SSH or VNC into it any, but I'm going to try an external USB wifi adapter with antenna first... I'm hopeful that might do the trick...
11-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #20935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
It seems to be an issue from when I had the exhaust warranty repaired. In order for them to get what they had to do, they would have had to remove the oil pan. It seems they must have (though they swear they didn't) not refilled the oil or something. Oddly, the car never had any errors until one day when it started having a bad vibration and the CEL came on. Checked my oil level and found it bone dry. From further research, it seems the one part may have seized due to oil starvation. Seems it'll cost a couple grand to permanently fix, but fresh oil seems to do the trick as well. Just have to do it a few hundred miles earlier than I would normally need to. Hoping this cleaner might get it working without having to take the engine apart to replace the part.
This sounds very strange, what is the code that is being thrown?
11-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #20936
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rec'd my Scatterflash from the UK this past week. Not yet used it in a shoot but in a short indoor studio test it has promise. A bit tricky to use since a clear area between model and speedlight is necessary.
11-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #20937
Veteran Member

Zeiss C/Y Tele-Tessar 300mm f4

I’d been wanting the extra reach of a 300mm for some Astro and wildlife shooting and finally decided on the Zeiss 300/4. Here are the first pair of test shots I made. The isolation is outstanding. Both images were shot on a crop sensor for a 450mm effective FL.

11-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #20938
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For Cdn $10.50 including postage, a Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps hat badge appropriate for my years of service in the Corps: 1962-1967.
Smc PENTAX-FA Macro 100mm F2.8, K-3, Av, ISO 3200, 1/160 @ f/2.8
Thank you for your years of service (on behalf of my neighbors to the north).

Steve
11-08-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #20939
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I’d been wanting the extra reach of a 300mm for some Astro and wildlife shooting and finally decided on the Zeiss 300/4. Here are the first pair of test shots I made. The isolation is outstanding. Both images were shot on a crop sensor for a 450mm effective FL.

Cool! I am looking forward to seeing more posts from this lens.

Steve
11-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #20940
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
This sounds very strange, what is the code that is being thrown?
Off the top of my head, I believe it was P0014? I could be wrong. Ran a cleaner through the engine and then changed the oil and filter. Plugged in my new scanner and it showed the error in a weird format I've not seen before, I'll have to check the settings on it sometime to see if I can get it to give normal codes. Though, it did go and give the description right on the device which was nice, so I won't necessarily have to look up what codes mean anymore. But I cleared the code and took it for a short drive to the gas station to put a little bit more air in them. Error hasn't come back yet. But just changing the oil has fixed the error in the past as well, so I can't say if it'll come back again next time I need an oil change.