Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #21811
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I was suckered by a non-infinity M42-PK adapter and it did not focus further away than about four feet. "Nearly useless" is polite, I would say that mine was a waste of money (only $5 posted I think), and I have never bothered to use it.
Pentax rules here. I would pay triple for Pentax adapter over the best of the opposition. I have had no problems, ever, with my adapter that is the Pentax model, bought in 1981 IIRC.

01-27-2021, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #21812
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the package of timtam arrived

very tasty

but while respecting @dbs' opinion, not the appropriate shape ( imho ) for the preferred ASM

and I understand there is a " melting " issue as well

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-27-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #21813
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What lenses did you two try on it?

You'll find that the focus limits of a non-infinity M42-PK adapter are a very strong function of focal length. Wider angle lenses might refuse to focus beyond a few inches. In contrast, telephoto lenses will work out to tens or even hundreds of meters. Portrait focal length lenses (say 85 to 135mm) will probably work at portrait distances. Zooms vary but generally work better than you'd expect because so many of them focus beyond infinity to begin with that they still get close to infinity even with the adapter.

As with many things in photography, some combinations of equipment work better than others. That means that any given bit of equipment will suck under some conditions but work well under others.

Try your adapters with some other lenses... you might be pleasantly surprised.

I only have one m-mount lens at the moment - a 35mm f2, so not a useful lens with that adapter; I am not getting rid of the adapter, just stashing for another try with another lens....
01-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #21814
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

very tasty

but while respecting @dbs' opinion, not the appropriate shape ( imho ) for the preferred ASM

Hi Sly
You have some ... very good
Just use them for short lenses then ( if they last that long )
Anything over 25 C and melting is a side effect .... y ummmm

Dave

01-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #21815
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My vote is for Velvia
Velvia 50 ideally but it is no longer produced , it was my favourite landscape chrome, there is the newer rvp velvia 50, but it isn’t the same to my eyes
01-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #21816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, a lot depends on the lens and also on the adapter. A 50mm lens may offer a maximum distance of as much as 5m (15') with a sufficiently thin flange-type adapter. I use a Fotodiox model with a Helios 44M 58mm that I can't use with the genuine Pentax adapter (long story). It works great for the closeup, portrait, and other subjects that lens really shines with.

Steve
I've made this recommendation several times for the Helios 44 lenses on Nikon bodies - they generally gives problems if used with the converters with lenses because the rear element projects back too far. However, it'll focus out to 7 or 8 ft with a thin lensless converter, and there's no risk of damaging the converter or lens.
01-27-2021, 07:46 PM - 3 Likes   #21817
Veteran Member

I have the 17-28 and thoroughly enjoy it. But always wanted the 20-35 , until I saw the availability for used ones and the cost! Then a few weeks ago I came across a sit, Camera Solutions, a store in California. They had a used 20-35 that was listed in excellent condition and with the original hood. Wrote to them and confirmed the condition. No shipping to Canada so sent to my brother in USA and then mailed to me. One of the few times I have been lucky. Lens received, condition matches the description...but wait for it...I paid $200. Sometimes one gets very lucky. Now just need time to enjoy it.

01-28-2021, 03:25 AM - 4 Likes   #21818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon FD Breechlock 35mm f2.8 TS lens.

01-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #21819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

very tasty

They look a lot like 'Penguin' bars here in the UK.
01-28-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #21820
Pentaxian

A new 55mm diameter pinch-cap and 55mm screw-in metal hood to go with my Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4.
The lens already has the OEM cap but it's one with a single push 'button' on one side that protrudes quite a bit. The hood is short but makes more than enough difference from brief tests earlier.
01-28-2021, 09:40 AM - 4 Likes   #21821
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It will probably only remain in my house for the time it takes to write a review (except if I decide to keep it), but here's my newest acquisition:

A big chunk of a lens, but extremely interesting!
01-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #21822
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It will probably only remain in my house for the time it takes to write a review (except if I decide to keep it), but here's my newest acquisition:

I look forward to seeing what it can do, I like the FL and would like something faster than what I have
01-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #21823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Canon FD Breechlock 35mm f2.8 TS lens.

Very nice. Lovely combination.

I don't have that lens, but I do have a Canon F-1 , which I got for a very good deal a couple of years ago. I've checked it over and It appears to me, as if it was rarely, if ever used. There is one issue, the pentaprism housing has a small dent in it, but it doesn't seem to affect it's performance.

Back when I was first into photography, late '60's, and early '70's...the cameras that I was interested in were the Nikon F Photomic, Pentax ES, ES ll, Canon F-1 and Leica M series rangefinder.

I bought a Pentax ES ll (new) which I still have, then got a Leica rangefinder screw mount, eventually got the F-1. Still keep my eye open for a F Photomic and Pentax LX.
01-28-2021, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #21824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

I'll keep my eye open for your review. Except for my 50 'normals' I don't really have a fast lens. The siren song of a fast 85mm beckons me ...but they are pricey, example the new Pentax.
01-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #21825
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'll keep my eye open for your review. Except for my 50 'normals' I don't really have a fast lens. The siren song of a fast 85mm beckons me ...but they are pricey, for example the new Pentax.
fairly pricey 2499 here in Canada, still less than the GFX equivalent 110 f2 @ 3779 (mind you covers a 70% larger sensor for only 54% more money )