Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #2221
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
indeed ! If i was doing that, i would never go on vacation again !

question, should i go for a FA-J 18-35 to go with my delightfull MZ-5n ?
if we listen to dgaies, he would simply say buy now, think later.

01-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #2222
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
HA HA HA ! indeed
01-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #2223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Lesson learned; when a good deal comes around, buy first and ask questions later
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
if we listen to dgaies, he would simply say buy now, think later.
Just don't forget the first part of my statement (in red), it's the key to not going broke from LBA

Just taking the second part of my statement out of context is likely to get people in a lot of trouble. Perhaps an expanded version of my "lesson learned" statement is needed (blue text added):

When a good deal comes around, if you're sure you can resell the lens for more than you paid, but you're not sure if you really need the lens, buy first and ask yourself questions about whether you really need the lens later
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #2224
Veteran Member

When a good deal comes around, if you're sure you can resell the lens for more than you paid, but you're not sure if you really need the lens, buy first and ask yourself questions about whether you really need the lens later[/I].
Problem: conflating 'need' with 'want' which translates to levels of 'need'. Like, is it needed for work, to make money? Is it needed to complete an emotionally-significant collection? Is it needed to fill a hole in your heart? Do the voices in your head scream BUY IT! BUY IT! I always obey my voices.

I've mentioned that I have no disposable income. If I want to buy something, I must sell something first. (What am I bid for a hyperactive grandson?) As long as the cash I/O is all in my PayPal account and nothing shows up on a credit statement, all is well upon Shake Ridge. My photo-gear trading is compartmentalized into its own mini-universe. Beware its escape!

That doesn't mean I always buy usable lenses with intent to resell. Sometimes yes, mostly not. Well, if a batch lot contains one or two hot items, then I judge the rest on resale values. But mostly, if I buy something I want, it's because I *WANT* it, and I expect to continue to want it. Until disillusioned...

ObTopic: Other than another bad cold, my latest acquisition... isn't so much recent, as re-discovered. I was rooting around in my vast piles of stuff for goodies to haul on my trip, and I uncovered a chromatic harmonica (Hohner Chrometta 12 in C) I haven't played in decades, since I started wearing a mustache. (Shaved off now.) Harmonicas and facial hair don't mix. Ouch. If I dig a bit further, I may find the bagpipe chanter I got in Nova Scotia about 30 years ago. Yeah, when I hit the streets of Bisbee Arizona, nobody's ears will be safe, especially if I take Grandpa's banjo-mandolin.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.
01-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #2225
Pentaxian

Just don't forget the first part of my statement (in red), it's the key to not going broke from LBA Just taking the second part of my statement out of context is likely to get people in a lot of trouble. Perhaps an expanded version of my "lesson learned" statement is needed (blue text added): When a good deal comes around, if you're sure you can resell the lens for more than you paid, but you're not sure if you really need the lens, buy first and ask yourself questions about whether you really need the lens later.
Well it's definition of a "good deal" isn't it dgaies? Like Rico I'm partly of the 'buying for own purposes' rather than simply reselling. And if I own it... then it's a good deal!

I'm currently eyeing some superzooms but am still to scared to commit to over $100. Actually if I'm 100% grounded in reality, it's more like being scared to commit to over $200. I think I'm already resigned to the fact that I can't get an AF superzoom for anything in my $50 budget (but wouldn't it be super super cool if I could? *wicked laugh*)

Good thing I still have 2 more months to talk myself out of it before I go on my trip. Chances are I can make do with what I have - but oh boy, wouldn't it be super cool if I didn't have to?
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #2226
Veteran Member

Alternate viewpoint

If as dgaies says you don't pay too much for the lens what's the big deal, think of it as renting the lens for little no cost.
Suppose you buy a DA 18-250 (just as an example) for your trip, use it and then sell it, if you bought wisely it will cost very little, heck you may even make a buck!
01-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #2227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Alternate viewpoint

If as dgaies says you don't pay too much for the lens what's the big deal, think of it as renting the lens for little no cost.
Suppose you buy a DA 18-250 (just as an example) for your trip, use it and then sell it, if you bought wisely it will cost very little, heck you may even make a buck!
Hrmmm... selling eh? I keep on telling myself I need to sell off some duplicate FL lenses.... I've still got my sigma 18-50 kit lens sitting on my desk

I always buy thinking, gee I can resell! But I can't seem to get off my butt to do it. So far I've sold One Lens.

I think part of it is just parting with the $$ to begin with. And I think if I get a superzoom it would be nice to have to keep - NOT that I plan on going on any other big trips like this again in the near future after this one is over.

Thinking, thinking, thinking.
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #2228
Veteran Member

I think part of it is just parting with the $$ to begin with
Certainly we all have limits of comfort, Dan's is higher then many, it gets easier.

So far I've sold One Lens.
It's a start, incentive would be much higher if the lens value was higher no?

NOT that I plan on going on any other big trips like this again in the near future after this one is over.
see it's maybe a once in a lifetime thing, you will take lots of photos, worth $350 or so?

01-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #2229
Pentaxian

Certainly we all have limits of comfort, Dan's is higher then many, it gets easier.

It's a start, incentive would be much higher if the lens value was higher no?

see it's maybe a once in a lifetime thing, you will take lots of photos, worth $350 or so?
*nearly chokes* $350?!?! Geeez....
01-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #2230
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I do not have them yet but bought and paid for.
Pentax 100mm F4 Macro
Set of Pentax extension tubes
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Well I do not have them yet but bought and paid for.
Pentax 100mm F4 Macro
Set of Pentax extension tubes
you'll love the 100mm macro hangman! I got one at the beginning of the year and have been very happy with it
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #2232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've mentioned that I have no disposable income. If I want to buy something, I must sell something first. (What am I bid for a hyperactive grandson?) As long as the cash I/O is all in my PayPal account and nothing shows up on a credit statement, all is well upon Shake Ridge. My photo-gear trading is compartmentalized into its own mini-universe. Beware its escape!
That's actually how I operate as well (in a compartmentalized mini-universe). That said, I've been known to extend myself credit depending on the circumstances if I don't have time to sell first (before I buy). So long as enough lenses are sold to cover new purchases before my credit card comes due, it's all good.

Alternate viewpoint

This pretty much sums up my position. Basically if there's a lens out there that I'm potentially interested in trying, I'll just buy it as long as it's a "good deal" (as in I won't lose money buying and selling it, even after shipping/fees). I've always thought of it as far more cost effective than renting. Granted there is a slightly higher element of risk in doing that as compared to actually renting lenses, but there is also the potential to either pay nothing for the rentals or even make a few bucks.

"Just as an example" Wasn't the 18-250 the first (of many) lenses I sold to you?

I always buy thinking, gee I can resell! But I can't seem to get off my butt to do it. So far I've sold One Lens.
Selling is actually a critical part of the buying and selling process... otherwise you'll just end up with a lot of lenses and a lot less money

Correct again. One typically builds up a tolerance for these things and the comfort threshold typically rises as you do it more and more (and as you build up buffers from previous sales to mitigate a potential bad deal). I've bought and sold around 300 lenses at this point so I'm pretty comfortable with the whole process.

Last edited by dgaies; 01-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.
01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2233
Pentaxian

Selling is actually critical part of the buying and selling process... otherwise you'll just end up with a lot of lenses and a lot less money
yeah.... i'm at the 'lot of lenses with a lot less money' section of the supermarket atm.
01-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #2234
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yeah.... i'm at the 'lot of lenses with a lot less money' section of the supermarket atm.
I am getting there myself LOL
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #2235
Veteran Member

Lenses will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no lenses. Did I translate that right?

Actually, I shouldn't even be here. I should be throwing lenses into bags, sorting through filters, stashing batteries and chargers, etc. That will take about a day. Why am I wasting time here? Oh yeah, I'm checking some lists and things. That's my excuse.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.