Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 05:05 AM   #22501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Pentax battery for my KP, 3rd parties never again...

05-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #22502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I fear for you that it won't. It certainly has not for me. I recommend you get a K 50mm f4 Macro too, as that would fit in well with your K collection, and is a beautiful lens to boot.
Thanks Richard. Back to eekBay.
05-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #22503

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
They will, you just need the right trigger to use with your camera brand.
Our Flashpoint flashes have the triggers built-in so all I needed was the camera side. Unfortunately, the hotshoe only works with Flashpoint flashes so my existing Pentax flashes will become manual only. Not horrible but I do have one flash I'd like to replace so I may grab a new one.

05-15-2021, 08:15 PM - 3 Likes   #22504
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I've gone nuts.I didn't have any 50s so I got a K 50mm f/1.2. I've added a K50mm f/1.4, a K 55mm f/1.8, and an M 50mm f/1.7. I also got a K 28mm f/3.5. And now a K 135mm f/2.5 is on the way. Where will it all end?
Hahaha, it's an addiction. Unfortunately I swapped in the early/mid eighties many old-style lenses for the new Pentax-A ones with electric contacts. The good news: it allowed me to acquire three beautiful optics with the Green Star :-) The bad news is that some (not all!) of the new lenses were worse than the previous ones (mechanically or optically). I still haven't bought back two of the best Pentax-M lenses, the 2/85mm and 4/20mm... but I have been sucked into a buying frenzy tunnel regarding my favorite Asahi Pentax optical family: the SMC Pentax, usually called series K for the sake of brevity/clarity.
Recently I have found a few missing pieces that were high in my personal list of "missing lenses". I had already bought the celebrated 3.5/28mm one and a half years ago. I cleaned some fungus (that had allowed to buy it cheap), it came out beautiful, tested great... and was left in Thailand when I had to fly back to Italy in a wheelchair, because of a back problem :-( Immediately after that it came the Covid, and I'm still stuck here... Because of it, lens acquisitions were put on hold, but after much time I've come to the conclusion that people need some good reasons to smile and rejoice :-) As a result I have given myself a few new gifts, all series K:
3.5/135mm
3.5/35mm
2.8/30mm
I still have to test them properly, but I guess it will happen soon...

One more thing. The long (and yet not finished) covid stasis has at least helped me do things I would have never done otherwise. I dedicated plenty of time to some home/garden project that had been postponed over and over. Among them, one that is photography related: remove my most loved lenses from obscure drawers and boxes, and make them visible! An important part of this project is a nice rotating piece of furniture (I guess coming from a disco) that has on one side my MF Pentax lenses, or at least those I have in this place, and on the other side my most loved MF PK lenses made by third parties.
There is a LED stripe on both sides, that allows to see the lenses even if the ambient light is quite low. The XL/XXL sizes are stored elsewhere, I'm studying an option that would allow to make them visible, outside the original cases.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 05-15-2021 at 08:53 PM.
05-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #22505
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Unfortunately, the hotshoe only works with Flashpoint flashes so my existing Pentax flashes will become manual only.
It is a standard hot shoe and should work with any flash, though it is quite right that the Godox controllers will not control your P-TTL units. It is hard to say what might happen if they share a wired connection.

Steve
05-15-2021, 08:23 PM   #22506
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
2.8/30mm
Well! That is a rare bird!

Steve
05-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #22507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered some JJC hot shoe covers for Pentax from AliExpress. Couldn't find them anywhere else (Amazon, Adorama or B&H)

05-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #22508

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a standard hot shoe and should work with any flash, though it is quite right that the Godox controllers will not control your P-TTL units. It is hard to say what might happen if they share a wired connection.
Steve
TTL only works with with Flashpoint flashes. Other brands just get a trigger pin with no TTL data. So they work but I'd be better off using the Flashpoint slave I have for Canon or Panasonic. For $25, it's worth giving a shot.

And all of my information is from Adorama, I get it Monday so I haven't tested anything yet.
05-16-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #22509
Pentaxian

In the end they work out more expensive.
05-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #22510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Hahaha, it's an addiction. Unfortunately I swapped in the early/mid eighties many old-style lenses for the new Pentax-A ones with electric contacts. The good news: it allowed me to acquire three beautiful optics with the Green Star :-) The bad news is that some (not all!) of the new lenses were worse than the previous ones (mechanically or optically). I still haven't bought back two of the best Pentax-M lenses, the 2/85mm and 4/20mm... but I have been sucked into a buying frenzy tunnel regarding my favorite Asahi Pentax optical family: the SMC Pentax, usually called series K for the sake of brevity/clarity.
Recently I have found a few missing pieces that were high in my personal list of "missing lenses". I had already bought the celebrated 3.5/28mm one and a half years ago. I cleaned some fungus (that had allowed to buy it cheap), it came out beautiful, tested great... and was left in Thailand when I had to fly back to Italy in a wheelchair, because of a back problem :-( Immediately after that it came the Covid, and I'm still stuck here... Because of it, lens acquisitions were put on hold, but after much time I've come to the conclusion that people need some good reasons to smile and rejoice :-) As a result I have given myself a few new gifts, all series K:
3.5/135mm
3.5/35mm
2.8/30mm
I still have to test them properly, but I guess it will happen soon...

One more thing. The long (and yet not finished) covid stasis has at least helped me do things I would have never done otherwise. I dedicated plenty of time to some home/garden project that had been postponed over and over. Among them, one that is photography related: remove my most loved lenses from obscure drawers and boxes, and make them visible! An important part of this project is a nice rotating piece of furniture (I guess coming from a disco) that has on one side my MF Pentax lenses, or at least those I have in this place, and on the other side my most loved MF PK lenses made by third parties.
There is a LED stripe on both sides, that allows to see the lenses even if the ambient light is quite low. The XL/XXL sizes are stored elsewhere, I'm studying an option that would allow to make them visible, outside the original cases.

Wow! That's a great collection of lenses. In the past I also had some A lenses. The one I miss the most is the A 28mm f/2.
05-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #22511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
In the end they work out more expensive.
Yes, I learned the lesson. No more Wasabi, Watson, etc.
05-16-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #22512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bigger DLi-90 third party batteries from Wasabi and Kastar are about seventy percent the life of a Pentax original.
Aftermarket DLi-190 batteries, well, I have Wasabi, Kastar, PowerCell and Newmona, all seem to confuse the battery percentage monitor of the KP and K70. Pop in a freshly charged battery and after half an hour of intermittent use, the yellow battery indicator appears. Shutting the camera off and then re-powering, the Wasabi and Kastar batteries show full, the others half. None power the camera neatly as long as a ten year old leftover Pentax battery from a K-30. So, I agree, if you need a DLi-190, buy a Pentax original.
05-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #22513
Loyal Site Supporter

The latest is one metal hotshoe cover for my K3III, the newly released Pentax O-HC177. Yup, a lot of money for something so small, but if it matches the K3III silver it was worth it for me.

It does not if anyone else is curious. More stainless than silver.
05-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #22514
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It does not if anyone else is curious. More stainless than silver.
Well...if that is not a disappointment. Out of curiosity, is the finish quality better than that in the stock photos which show a casting defect?
05-16-2021, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #22515
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well...if that is not a disappointment. Out of curiosity, is the finish quality better than that in the stock photos which show a casting defect?
The quality of the one I received is very good, surprisingly weighty too for such a small piece.