Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2021, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #22621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ever wear out a key on a keyboard?

a new kb on the way...
I did that too and then the key fell out. I tried to glue it back on and it got stuck to the keyboard. Unfortunately it was attached to a laptop.

06-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #22622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

a new kb on the way...
Yes - my first mac laptop, an iBook G4, had previously belonged to a VERY prolific author, the keys were already rather worn and within a year or so the keytops on about half the keys were unreadable, and I'm not a good touch typist. Back then you could actually replace the keyboard fairly easily, so I found someone selling one for £12 on eBay and fitted it. No big drama.

That's almost impossible with modern Macs, unfortunately, a damaged key is now a repair that costs £100 or more to fix.

When I was refurbishing old macs I ended up with two or three dead keyboards for their older desktop PCs. The actual keytops were easy to replace, so I ended up selling them. Think I must have made 30 or more sales before I was down to all of the really unsellable keys that nobody uses much, but it was a total pain and I wouldn't do it again.

Meanwhile, the 2nd-hand optical fairies have been fairly good to me over the last few days.

Oxfam sold me a working Olympus Trip 35 for £30
A 2nd hand shop sold me a Sigma AF 24/2.8 for Minolta/Sony A for £22

Picked up some good stuff at today's car boot sale:
A very nice Balda Baldessa 1a rangefinder camera in full working order with an OK but not wonderful Takumar-A 1:4 70-210 for £25
Two Canon Eos 650 35mm bodies with an EF 38-76 4.5-5.6, an early EF 35-105 3.5-4.5, and a side grip for £25, all clean and working well. Neither lens is particularly highly regarded but working EF lenses usually sell well.
A Galaxy T-mount 4.5/200 with PK mount for £3
And a T2 mount for Fujica X-mount mirrorless cameras for £3

And in Portobello Road I got some Eos and Minolta caps and a Weston master invercone for £4

More car boots tomorrow, hoping my luck will continue to hold good.
06-05-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #22623
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use PC laptop but with external keyboard to give me a better ergonomic placement of things. Makes the keyboard separate from the machine and replaceable. Is the Mac able to connect to an external keyboard? Then you can place the screen where it is good for looking at.
06-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #22624
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I use PC laptop but with external keyboard to give me a better ergonomic placement of things. Makes the keyboard separate from the machine and replaceable. Is the Mac able to connect to an external keyboard? Then you can place the screen where it is good for looking at.
I use a Mac mini, so the kb is separate, plus I use the same kb on my work laptop...

another Das Keyboard, on the way....

06-05-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #22625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a new kb on the way...
Many times. I'm typing on one right now waiting for a replacement to arrive ...
06-05-2021, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #22626
Pentaxian

Sunpak Flash Unit Carry-Case

I found this on Ebay for £12. Seems to be unused. It has internal partitions and a card inside suggests a packing scheme with pictures of a hot-shoe unit. However the partitions can be folded down and I have one of my Sunpak hammerhead units in there. In fact it has a special pocket in the lid for a hammerhead bracket. There is also a shoulder strap.

06-05-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #22627
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

a new kb on the way...
Yes...I replaced the keyboard on the ThinkPad I am typing on a few years back. A couple of the keys were worn smooth.

Steve

06-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #22628
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there's a small misunderstanding about the keyboard issue - it's not a key that no longer shows what the key is on the surface, as Steve mentioned above; but that the key when pressed, does not connect properly with the switch underneath.. so it does not give you the key's value/image on the screen...
06-06-2021, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #22629
Pentaxian

A good finish to the weekend with one weird coincidence.

There are three car boot sales I try to get to on Sunday. At the first I got a Voigtlander Vito B in good working order for £12, and at the second I spent £30 and got a good Agfa Isolette folding 120 camera, a Helios 28/2.8 which had a bit of fungus but was very easy to clean out, and (the weird coincidence) another Weston Master invercone. In the end I didn't get to the third because I was low on cash and running late, so I went and splurged on a Japanese meal instead, which made a nice end to the afternoon. The only annoyance is that I just sold the last Weston Master I have, but the invercones will be useful when I get more.
06-06-2021, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #22630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who needs markings on our keycaps? Aren't we all expert touch-typists?

Chris
06-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #22631
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
. . . Aren't we all expert touch-typists?

Chris
" the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog "
06-06-2021, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #22632
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

newly arrived:

her new sewing machine....

(no SMU's because I'm not allowed to eat or drink in that room)
06-07-2021, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #22633
Loyal Site Supporter

newly arrived:

My first wife bought a techy sewing machine back in the early 80's. It might have had a half dozen "special" stitches and was far more expensive than my mom's Singer. Your wife's machine looks crazy-capable.

My own latest acquisition, just rec'd in the past hour, is an HD FA85. Based on some user reviews I expected a massive and unwieldy beast potentially not useable hand-held for extended photo sessions.

As my Grandma would have said "Pshaw!".

I already have the HD FA50 and the DFA 70-200 and accustomed to their weight. The 85 is nothing more to handle, actually very well balanced, so I expect no issue with long portrait sessions. Now the 70-200 IS truly a strong and highly capable but seriously overweight, ungainly animal IMO, but I used that one handheld for several hours at a gig shoot a few weeks ago and lived to tell the tale the next day.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-07-2021 at 08:57 AM.
06-07-2021, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #22634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
newly arrived:

ooks like our households are similar. I was surprised to learn that my wife's new sewing machine was going to cost more than one of those new Pentax-D FA* lenses!
06-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #22635
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
ooks like our households are similar. I was surprised to learn that my wife's new sewing machine was going to cost more than one of those new Pentax-D FA* lenses!
bingo!