Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #2251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
... i tried reading hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy a while ago. never really got into it unfortunately. :ugh: ...
I suppose it is that sort of a story, either "meh" or irreversible indoctrination to the cult . (Just an attempted joke triggered by 'slartibartfast'. )

01-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #2252
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I have now sold 3 lenses and one K-r. Of course in that time I have purchased one K5, been given several lenses, purchased a used a BG-4, bought several inexpensive step down rings, been given a camera bag with some batteries and a charger, ......oh the shame of it all
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #2253
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, I have now sold 3 lenses and one K-r. Of course in that time I have purchased one K5, been given several lenses, purchased a used a BG-4, bought several inexpensive step down rings, been given a camera bag with some batteries and a charger, ......oh the shame of it all
yes. i can see you rolling around in that shame feeling very sorry for yourself

more like a pig in muck if i'm looking more closely.
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #2254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
"Just as an example" Wasn't the 18-250 the first (of many) lenses I sold to you?
Yes it was. And I had not made up my mind which Pentax digital body I would get when I purchased that lens. I knew it was a lens I wanted and it was a "good deal" I thought.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Lenses will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no lenses.
Far out man! May have heard this before.. dunno I forget.

01-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #2255

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
audio amplifier ?

not quite- it's a phono-preamplifier (RIAA) - it's bigger and heavier than quite a lot poweramps out there, though...

haven't got it yet, but it's on the way: Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
01-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #2256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast Quote
not quite- it's a phono-preamplifier (RIAA) - it's bigger and heavier than quite a lot poweramps out there, though...
I was looking at that and thinking that it looked very desirable and then I remembered that someone thought it would be a good idea to entertain their children by playing see-saws with my Linn Basik (yeah yeah. I know. Cheap as.) tone arm and seeing how hard they could bounce my Garrott P77 cartridge off the arm support. It was not a happy ending and I haven't had the heart to try and get it fixed yet. At least the little vandals didn't play frisbees with the glass platter. And now my CD player has decided that it doesn't need a left channel. In some ways it's good that I'm developing cloth ears in my old age.

Still, not as bad as a guy I worked with who lost his LP12 and all his vinyl when a neighbour who wanted his land to expand a business sent in hit men who tied him and his wife up and burned down the house with them in it. They were lucky to escape only slightly singed.

Richard (sorry for the convoluted hims and thems, but I think it makes sense).
01-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #2257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast Quote
VERY nice, my newest purchase
Sweet, I've been looking at amps myself since my Rotel has crapped out after a long time and I'm between repair and replace (repair being muchmore affordable but less fun)

I have seen some nice old amps on the local craigs though not far off replace (in particular some nice old tube amps - if you think LBA is bad audio GAS is worse wolfiegirl )

EDIT - Fortunately my phono stage is fine, so is my Pre amp , new cartridge would be nice though

01-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
yes. i can see you rolling around in that shame feeling very sorry for yourself

more like a pig in muck if i'm looking more closely.
I'm astonished at your comments.......I keep my gear very clean, thank you very much!
01-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm astonished at your comments.......I keep my gear very clean, thank you very much!
bwahahahaha.
01-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #2260
Veteran Member

A very clean Spotmatic that needs a new battery door, along with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/3.5. Now I have a body to go with my 35mm f/2.
01-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #2261
Veteran Member

Tonner Doll Co is having their "housekeeping" aka major clearance sale. Some of their very expensive vinyl collector's dolls are going for like $35-100. Usually I totally miss this sale and I get truly annoyed with myself for doing so (Because it's the only time of year I can afford to do more than look at Tonner!!!) but this year someone gave me a heads up on a doll board and I went and with permission splurged just a little bit with my folks CC. They gave me a $100 limit with shipping or I'd have absolutely gotten Aragorn/Strider too but I did at least get the Arwen Evenstar doll from LOTR and an Andy Mills doll both of which have been on my dolly "want" list for a long while. (They both retailed originally for near $200 each. Not exactly in my budget range, normally, cough, cough...)

I dearly love the LOTR books, films, both. Legolas, Arwen, and Aragorn have always been my favorite characters in particular. Legolas was sold out, alas. It was a really hard choice actually between buying Aragorn and buying Andy Mills, because I think Viggo Mortensen was just too awesome in the role, and I just think the Aragorn doll is fabulous. Unlike a lot of Tonner's character dolls I think the doll actually looks a lot like him. I really wanted Arwen to have her major love, but in the end I just had to get Andy because I think in future he is going to be a lot harder to get than Aragorn.

Andy is the first officially gay 16" fashion doll. As such he's somewhat iconic and I just think he's truly cute besides. Nose aside, he reminds me just a bit of the late Roddy McDowall as a younger man and being as I am very fond of the actor and his work, Andy therefore was sort of a must have doll for me. Aragorn will just have to wait. Hopefully I'll see him on a doll board sometime for resale when I can afford him. There will be a lot more of those dolls out there than the Andy Mills ones. Tonner's LOTR dolls were a lot less limited in numbers. Andy actually has more than just the usual Tonner doll collectors grabbing him. He's rapidly becoming a sort of collector's item for some of the gay guys too, like the 12" Billy novelty doll, so I figure I'd better grab one while I can. A decade from now he'll probably selling for some killer sums...

Pics...

Arwen

http://www.capricornix-dolls.com/fotky6762/fotov/_ps_563arwen2.jpg?iact=hc&v...1t:429,r:0,s:0

and with Aragon (Not a great pic. The resemblance to the actors is pretty good on both of these dolls. This pic makes it look a lot less so.)

http://www.daisy-dolls.com/wp-content/gallery/gallery-tonner/img_2812-2_thum...t:429,r:1,s:81

The Aragorn doll...(Better, see? Isn't he just too cool? Love that coat and he even comes with his sword Anduril....)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GqwB6ONBpOU/TCRmvICAcxI/AAAAAAAAA2o/SYtEokOx0qQ/s1...der-ranger.jpg

Andy Mills (The pinstripe suit is to die for...)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hJV_htAFMU4/TSaGAxXbaxI/AAAAAAAAEj8/s4v-T9FH7QU/s1...t:429,r:16,s:0

http://www.katherinescottage.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/andymillseventplanner.jpg

I don't get to play with them right away though I may get to photograph them in the box at least. These are going directly into the closet for a little while until my birthday. That's the deal I made with my folks, unfortunately, that was the only way I could get them to agree to get me the two of them. I'm just too broke otherwise right now and I killed my CC doing Christmas so it was either throw myself on their mercy or go without entirely...

Yes, I am a total doll addict, but in my own defense something like 90% of the dolls I own are Barbies that came via thrift shop and flea market. I don't usually spend very much on them. This past year has been very unusual in that I got quite a few brand new Barbie dolls and a couple of bigger dolls. These two are likely the only big dolls I'll have come my way this year. The odd new Barbie that is affordable, but $200 Tonner dolls aren't often in the offing for me unless I get them severely discounted like this.

I do have have a few of these but mostly I've gotten them for birthday and Christmas and stuff and they're never came at retail prices, ever. $200 I'd spend that on an AF lens maybe, but not a big doll. I love my Tonner type dolls, but I definitely don't think they're worth anything like what they ask for them new sometimes. Buying a couple once and a while on deep clearance or from someone who's reselling them once in a while, that's fine, but I'm not like some of the people on my doll boards who think nothing of dropping 1K a month on these dolls and their clothes.

It totally blows my mind what they ask for these dolls and their outfits when they aren't on clearance. The Andy doll he has outfits that cost $89 a pop. It's outrageous! Looking at my doll shelves? I'm very glad I sew. Otherwise my big dolls?They'd all be sitting around like like a bunch of plastic nudists...or wearing socks or something....
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #2262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I do like roaming the countryside in search of wildlife, I've come to appreciate that being still and inconspicuous is often the key to success so, when I found this in a local odds & ends shop, I grabbed it.

01-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #2263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Although I do like roaming the countryside in search of wildlife, I've come to appreciate that being still and inconspicuous is often the key to success so, when I found this in a local odds & ends shop, I grabbed it.
Uh? What is that exactly?
01-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #2264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Port-a-potty looks like.

Seriously, being still is a huge plus in getting wildlife shots. I'm too big a guy for such walking stick seats but do know that others find them useful.
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #2265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Simple - it is a "gun stick" in my family's terminology: a type of walking stick that allows one to fold out the seat, and seat oneself. Good catch, dadi.

PS: You got one of the best I have ever seen.