Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #22756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely, those are on my "need to get" list, that and a couple of M42 back caps.

Steve

KEH usually has Pentax rear M42 caps.

06-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #22757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Fujifilm cameras are better for using with legacy lenses than DSLRs, even in their native mounts.
I am not sure about this. I find it true in my, limited, experience in relation to telephotos (and I would consider 50mm to be a telephoto on APSC), but only due to the greater ease of focusing MF glass. I am awaiting some slide film to be processed recently taken on my ME Super. The old style viewfinder was a joy to use with telephoto lenses, unlike the small and dim DSLR designs. I suspect the better results from the Fuji system are as a result of the better viewfinder. I have not tried using the LV on my K3 or KP when using telephotos, but perhaps I should, to see if the results between the 2 systems would even out. I see no point in using wider glass on my Fuji cameras except for comparison shots between lenses.
06-16-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #22758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
EM5ii is out for delivery today!
06-16-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #22759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I am not sure about this. I find it true in my, limited, experience in relation to telephotos (and I would consider 50mm to be a telephoto on APSC), but only due to the greater ease of focusing MF glass. I am awaiting some slide film to be processed recently taken on my ME Super. The old style viewfinder was a joy to use with telephoto lenses, unlike the small and dim DSLR designs. I suspect the better results from the Fuji system are as a result of the better viewfinder. I have not tried using the LV on my K3 or KP when using telephotos, but perhaps I should, to see if the results between the 2 systems would even out. I see no point in using wider glass on my Fuji cameras except for comparison shots between lenses.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have no problem focusing my M400/5,6 on my K3. In good light, it's easy even with the 1.7xAFA on it. The Tak 55/1.8 is even easier. Is it the O-ME53 that does the trick? I even used it on my KX (film) so I don't now anything else.

06-16-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #22760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have to respectfully disagree. I have no problem focusing my M400/5,6 on my K3. In good light, it's easy even with the 1.7xAFA on it. The Tak 55/1.8 is even easier. Is it the O-ME53 that does the trick? I even used it on my KX (film) so I don't now anything else.
I am not sure what you are disagreeing about. I state that the ME Super's viewfinder is a joy to use. I do find the viewfinders of the K3 and KP problematic for manual focusing, especially with telephotos. I have the O-ME53 on both cameras and a microprism screen on the K3, and still find them to be less than optimal. The microprism does black out at f4 which certainly does not help, but that's another story. Perhaps your eyes are better than mine, or your tolerances looser. I definitely get better results with the same telephoto MF lenses on my Fujis than with my Pentaxes. The only time I find this not to be the case is with close up work, where I much prefer to use an optical viewfinder. With more "standard" or wide lenses, the focusing problem is still there with lenses which have a short focus throw (a typical example would be my A 28mm f2.8), but not with ones with a longer throw (K 28mm f3.5), but due to the inherent DOF involved the issue is not really major.
06-16-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #22761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ordered a FA 15-30 but may need to return it. The repair bill on my 150-450 came in about double what I thought it would be. Not long after the warranty expired it quit focusing, just would go 'click-click-click'
06-16-2021, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #22762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Domke F5XB bag in black

$37.70 shipped from Amazon Warehouse

I hope my daughter will use it for her recently acquired Pentax MX black.

Chris

06-16-2021, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #22763
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
While not techanically a "new" acquisition, I decided to finally send out two (out of three) SLR's I've been wanting to get CLA'ed for a while & the dented filter ring on a 50mm lens to get fixed. Took a while to find repair places in the US to send 'em to, and was hoping to find one place that could CLA both at the same time but that didnt work out :/

Ended up sending the Kalimar K-90 down to Garry's Camera Repair in Illinois, and then sent the Sears TLS & Auto Sears 50mm f1.7 lens down to Camera Service Co. in Georgia. Nows just a waiting game for them to do it & mail 'em back to me, and going by the rough estimates I should be "aquiring" them back early July (if nothing bad pops up diring the CLA's).
06-17-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #22764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
It's due to the ability to precisely manual focus by zooming in and also the ability to use Av mode rather than be limited to a (badly) metered M mode.
06-17-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #22765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I received my D FA 150-450. Looks awesome! I'm pumped to give it a whirl.
I think that you will love it. It is a heavy, but versatile lens. Whenever I am out it is always mounted on one K1 and my D FA 28-105 on the other. Specialty lenses come out as needed. Used close in, it really shines. Love the way it can pop a subject out from the background. I got mine not to long after it was introduced. No regrets.
06-17-2021, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #22766
Pentaxian

I sure didn't need another 50. But with used prices so low I had to try one out. If I don't like it I'll just pass it on. I haven't really given it a proper test yet, I'll be comparing it with the F 50 1.7 to see if it's worth hanging on to.

DA 50 1.8
06-17-2021, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #22767
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I sure didn't need another 50. But with used prices so low I had to try one out. If I don't like it I'll just pass it on. I haven't really given it a proper test yet, I'll be comparing it with the F 50 1.7 to see if it's worth hanging on to.

DA 50 1.8
I have too many fast fifties, but have held on to the DA 50/1.8 mostly because it is fun to shoot with as my only AF fast fifty. I suspect you will find your F 50/1.7 to be optically better and almost as light and quick.

Steve
06-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #22768
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have too many fast fifties, but have held on to the DA 50/1.8 mostly because it is fun to shoot with as my only AF fast fifty. I suspect you will find your F 50/1.7 to be optically better and almost as light and quick.

Steve
if I had to keep a fast 50 that was AF, it's the DA* 55/1.4....
06-17-2021, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #22769
Pentaxian

I have been comparing both for a while. They are very very similar. The DA of course has better coatings which helps every once in a while. The F has better corners on Full Frame, though I do use the DA on my K1 regardless of the weaker corners. I use the DA more often of the two.

I have been using the DA1.8 and FA1.4. For some reason I never found myself grabbing my F1.7 with the K3 or K1 and it ended up almost permanently attached to my P30T. Nothing wrong with it but I preferred FA1.4 most of the time. The DA1.8 and F1.7 are very similar and I suspect the 1.8 design is just a modified 1.7. I just added the DFA*50 so my FA1.4 is going to feel neglected soon.
06-17-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #22770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 50 1.8
It's a light, sharp and great little lens. I do not use mine that often (too many others to try I suppose!), but really enjoy it when I do. You won't regret the purchase I'm sure.