Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2021, 12:31 PM - 5 Likes   #23731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Incoming from eBay UK... a K-mount Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro with original end-caps, hood and case; boxed and allegedly in "as new", little used condition.

I'd been eyeing up the Pentax D FA50/2.8 Macro for a while, but with other recent purchases and expenses I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Here in the UK it retails for almost GBP 350 new, with used examples fetching over GBP 250; and, whilst I'm sure it's worth every penny, I simply couldn't justify it right now...

... and then, whilst looking at alternative macros in the same focal length, I came across an auction for this Sigma. The many reviews and bench-test results were very promising - much better than I'd expected, frankly. Plus, from the photos I think it's the very last version of the lens before production ended; the one with a non-textured body. The hood wasn't shown in the auction photo and would cost around 25 to replace, so I sent the seller an enquiry and in minutes he confirmed the hood was indeed present.

Buy It Now price was less than half the cost of a used D FA50/2.8 Macro, and with four days left for the auction to run there were six watchers already. If any of them were fellow members here, please accept my apologies - I couldn't resist

It should arrive late this week. Seller's pic below (funky rug not included)...

10-18-2021, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #23732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some Facebook finds.

The Nissin potato masher was trash, the OM Winder 1 might be salvageable, but a black OM-1 for less than $60? The meter works just fine...the film advance is a little stiff, I'll have it overhauled by Camtech...(That will put the total price around $180) It didn't come with the 50/1.4, it had an Owen Automatic 28/2.8...

The lady I bought it from had a Russian surname...came in the original packaging with Russian manual and receipt...

Interesting $20 lens...was originally listed as a f1.2 but someone corrected the lister...Sat there a few weeks until my will power buckled...someone else had it in their shopping cart, so I hit BiN...

lens-db says it's a Tessar type, which is interesting because the 55/2.2 in K-mount is a triplet. Reputed to be a bubble bokeh lens.
10-19-2021, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #23733
Pentaxian

First version of the Super-Takumar 28mm F3.5
Looks good no haze just some dust, but front ring detached. Lens works without it but no hood possible. I can see where the screws go but the name ring seems one part with the filter thread and attachment part. So how to attach it if I find the right size screws...

detached
10-19-2021, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #23734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
First version of the Super-Takumar 28mm F3.5
Looks good no haze just some dust, but front ring detached. Lens works without it but no hood possible. I can see where the screws go but the name ring seems one part with the filter thread and attachment part. So how to attach it if I find the right size screws...
Some screws on lenses can only be installed by pixies who train ants to do it.

10-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #23735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Some screws on lenses can only be installed by pixies who train ants to do it.
It's a scam, I bet those pixies charge good money. Anyway I got it out. It was wedged but I unwedged it with my fingernail so tough luck pixies!
10-20-2021, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #23736
Pentaxian

Fits, now I have to wait for the second part from china. Customs didn't bother with this one so no extra charge.
10-20-2021, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #23737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To go with the new K1 ii a Made in Japan FA 77mm Ltd.

10-21-2021, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #23738
Pentaxian

I haven't acquired it, but I think it's interesting that only a couple of weeks after buying the first A 35mm f/2 I've ever seen for sale, the first A 35mm f/2.8 I've ever seen for sale pops up here in Spain. It's half the price of the f/2 I bought, which is not a surprise. It actually gets slightly better reviews, also not a surprise given the difference in cost and that the f/2.8 35mm primes are better wide open than their f/2 brethren.
10-21-2021, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #23739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I haven't acquired it, but I think it's interesting that only a couple of weeks after buying the first A 35mm f/2 I've ever seen for sale, the first A 35mm f/2.8 I've ever seen for sale pops up here in Spain. It's half the price of the f/2 I bought, which is not a surprise. It actually gets slightly better reviews, also not a surprise given the difference in cost and that the f/2.8 35mm primes are better wide open than their f/2 brethren.

I liked my A35/2.0 and regret selling it. Used on a film SLR you will appreciate
the larger aperture; every little bit helps when focusing any wide angle lens.

Every M or A 35/2.8 lens I have owned developed sticky aperture blades as well.
IMO you chose the better lens.

Chris
10-21-2021, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #23740
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Incoming from eBay UK... a K-mount Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro with original end-caps, hood and case; boxed and allegedly in "as new", little used condition.

I'd been eyeing up the Pentax D FA50/2.8 Macro for a while, but with other recent purchases and expenses I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Here in the UK it retails for almost GBP 350 new, with used examples fetching over GBP 250; and, whilst I'm sure it's worth every penny, I simply couldn't justify it right now...

... and then, whilst looking at alternative macros in the same focal length, I came across an auction for this Sigma. The many reviews and bench-test results were very promising - much better than I'd expected, frankly. Plus, from the photos I think it's the very last version of the lens before production ended; the one with a non-textured body. The hood wasn't shown in the auction photo and would cost around 25 to replace, so I sent the seller an enquiry and in minutes he confirmed the hood was indeed present.

Buy It Now price was less than half the cost of a used D FA50/2.8 Macro, and with four days left for the auction to run there were six watchers already. If any of them were fellow members here, please accept my apologies - I couldn't resist

It should arrive late this week. Seller's pic below (funky rug not included)...
I have only one Sigma, a 150-500 I bought a number of years ago, as I wanted a longer telephoto, at a reasonable price. I've been quite happy with it's performance , good build quality and the images it produces.

For the longest time, from the early '70's till about 2012, when I bought the Sigma, I had stayed away from buying aftermarket lenses, choosing to purchase only the manufacturer of the camera body's lenses. Reason was, previous experience.

I had bought a couple of unsatisfactory , aftermarket lenses, back in the '70's, whose performance and then purchase I've regretted since then.

Although I had some anxiety about breaking my lens purchasing policy, once I received the Sigma and had used it, I've had absolutely no regrets at all, and would certainly purchase other Sigma products, without any hesitation. I also have my 24-70 F 2.8 Pentax/Tamron lens, which has been very good.

In fact I'm open to considering purchases of other lens makers, such as Sigma and Tamron. However of course, nowadays, most lens makers no longer make new Pentax mount lenses. The used market is an option.

I think you'll enjoy your 50 F 2.8 macro Sigma. Another lens I've thought about over the years is the Sigma 180 Macro. I've seen some pix from fellow members using this lens and have been impressed.

But at this point, I have more than enough Macros, my older 50mm Pentax F 4, a Pentax 50 mm F 2.8 and my 100mm Macro Pentax F 2.8 WR. Great lenses all.
10-21-2021, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #23741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have only one Sigma, a 150-500 I bought a number of years ago, as I wanted a longer telephoto, at a reasonable price. I've been quite happy with it's performance , good build quality and the images it produces.

For the longest time, from the early '70's till about 2012, when I bought the Sigma, I had stayed away from buying aftermarket lenses, choosing to purchase only the manufacturer of the camera body's lenses. Reason was, previous experience.

I had bought a couple of unsatisfactory , aftermarket lenses, back in the '70's, whose performance and then purchase I've regretted since then.

Although I had some anxiety about breaking my lens purchasing policy, once I received the Sigma and had used it, I've had absolutely no regrets at all, and would certainly purchase other Sigma products, without any hesitation. I also have my 24-70 F 2.8 Pentax/Tamron lens, which has been very good.

In fact I'm open to considering purchases of other lens makers, such as Sigma and Tamron. However of course, nowadays, most lens makers no longer make new Pentax mount lenses. The used market is an option.

I think you'll enjoy your 50 F 2.8 macro Sigma. Another lens I've thought about over the years is the Sigma 180 Macro. I've seen some pix from fellow members using this lens and have been impressed.

But at this point, I have more than enough Macros, my older 50mm Pentax F 4, a Pentax 50 mm F 2.8 and my 100mm Macro Pentax F 2.8 WR. Great lenses all.
Thanks, Les

I've had very good luck with Sigma lenses. I own and use the 17-50 f/2.8 HSM, 30 f/1.4 Art and 18-300. The 17-50/2.8 is optically excellent (if a little "clinical" in rendering), the 30/1.4 renders beautifully (one of my favourite lenses in this respect), and the 18-300 - whilst obviously a lens of many compromises - produces great results, for what it is.

I've been fortunate with Tamron, too, although I've had a few quality control issues with new-in-box older models. My favourite all-round lens on Pentax APS-C is the full-frame Tamron 28-75 f/2.8... it's not an especially amazing lens in any way, but I like the way it renders and I've always been delighted with the images I get from it.

I'm looking forward to trying the Sigma 50 macro. From the tests and reviews I've read, it really does look like a winner in terms of optical performance, and I hope it'll scratch my itch to own the D FA50/2.8 Macro
10-22-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #23742
Pentaxian

Thanks, Les

I've had very good luck with Sigma lenses. I own and use the 17-50 f/2.8 HSM, 30 f/1.4 Art and 18-300. The 17-50/2.8 is optically excellent (if a little "clinical" in rendering), the 30/1.4 renders beautifully (one of my favourite lenses in this respect), and the 18-300 - whilst obviously a lens of many compromises - produces great results, for what it is.

I've been fortunate with Tamron, too, although I've had a few quality control issues with new-in-box older models. My favourite all-round lens on Pentax APS-C is the full-frame Tamron 28-75 f/2.8... it's not an especially amazing lens in any way, but I like the way it renders and I've always been delighted with the images I get from it.

I'm looking forward to trying the Sigma 50 macro. From the tests and reviews I've read, it really does look like a winner in terms of optical performance, and I hope it'll scratch my itch to own the D FA50/2.8 Macro
You mention the Tamron 28-75mm F 2.8 lens. I thought about this lens for a number of years. Never did get it, but it's zoom range and constant and fast, F stop appealed to me.

I like the 24 wide angle on my 24-70....but I've found the 28-105 Pentax sufficient for most of my wide angle needs. When I compare my 28-105 to my 24-70 there are pros and cons of both lenses. But I must say that the 28-105 Pentax produces excellent images. It doesn't have a fast, constant F stop as does the 24-70...but in image quality, it really punches well above it's class, IMO. Good value for the money.
10-22-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #23743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manfrotto 290dual

Wasn't specifically looking for a tripod, but this came up for sale for a great price, and I couldn't say no.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-G820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LM-G820  Photo 
10-22-2021, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #23744
Pentaxian

I just got an 18TB hard drive, mostly for raw file storage, A Seagate Exos X18.
I'm replacing a 8TB drive in my PC and that old 8TB will go into the backup pool.
Amazing I can get 18TB for under $400!
10-22-2021, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #23745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Les

I have a Sigma 50mm macro the EX DG model with gold ring (looks like same as your seller's pic), and I like it a lot: it's part of my slide copying kit. I also have the Pentax DFA 50mm macro, which is easier as part of an outdoors kit to carry around, with its 49mm thread. I cannot be sure if either give better pictures though, I have never had a need to put them through a comparison.

I have also had some great Sigmas in recent times, including the 17-50mm f2.8, the 105 macro, 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC and the EX DC version of the 30mm/f1.4 (pre the Art series).

I had a superb 24-60mm f2.8 which I passed on to another local member/user who had a K1.

Like many of us, I suffered a few stinkers as well from the consumer range, like the 18-55mm, 100-300mm DL. I bought these for use with a K-m, but they are obviously underperformers on the K-70, and were immediately replaced by a Pentax 16-45mm and Sigma 18-250mm.

I have good results from the 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG macro (not the classy APO model) on my newly acquired K1. Next to try on the K1 is a 28-90mm aspherical (feels like cheap plastic but seems an OK lens on the K-70, so it may be good on the K1).