Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20313 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #23776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There is someone on dpreview who got the 135/3.5 version apart and could screw out the front group clockwise. So far I've only manage to damaged the name ring. Won't budge at all. I will need to adjust it for infinity as well since it reaches only 10 to 12 meters.
I have a notion that with this lens access to the rear element will be facilitated by removing the lens mount assembly which I'm guessing may be held in place with four screws like the one I see in your photo just below the red f2.8 mark. Of course without having the lens in hand to inspect I could be way off mark.

Persevere and good luck.

Last edited by Pedrodelta; 10-28-2021 at 06:16 AM.
10-27-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #23777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leitax Nikon F to Pentax K mount conversion. My Nikkor F 28mm f4 shift lens will be soon married to the new K1 ii (and the old K3 and KP cameras). I am not expecting spectacular results on FF and its use on APSC may be limited, but I have always enjoyed using this shift lens on film so I look forward to some experimentation.
10-27-2021, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #23778
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just managed to pick up what's claimed to be (and certainly looks like) a very nice, optically-clean Minolta Maxxum 35-70 f/4 with original hood and caps for GBP £21.25 (just under USD $30). At that kind of money, it's worth a punt
Minolta AF 35-70 f/4 arrived today. After a thorough clean (why don't people clean their gear when selling? ), it looked very presentable. Tried it on my camera, and... oh oh Over-exposing at anything other than maximum aperture. Upon further examination, the diaphragm blades are oily, preventing it from stopping down fast enough for the shot. Return requested from eBay seller. Oh well... can't win 'em all
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
--  Photo 
10-27-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #23779
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
could screw out the front group clockwise
well trying to force the lens apart suddenly the front group budged (counter clockwise) so now I have debugged the lens. Still no infinity though. I could turn the part with the DOF scale once I got the UNI-adapter off but that seemded only to be able to come out further not get deeper under the focus ring.

10-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #23780

Minolta AF 35-70 f/4 arrived today. After a thorough clean (why don't people clean their gear when selling? ), it looked very presentable. Tried it on my camera, and... oh oh Over-exposing at anything other than maximum aperture. Upon further examination, the diaphragm blades are oily, preventing it from stopping down fast enough for the shot. Return requested from eBay seller. Oh well... can't win 'em all
Rgd. to why don't people clean their gear when selling the answer is easy: they let the risk of scratching/damaging the lens in any way while cleaning it to the buyer...
10-27-2021, 09:54 AM - 8 Likes   #23781
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

... and then, shortly after the (admittedly minor) disappointment with the Minolta lens, my new-to-me Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro - which should have arrived days ago, but was delayed by Royal Mail - quietly arrived in my porch. No knock on the door, no ring of the bell. Still, I have it, and... it really is indistinguishable from new. Unlike the defective Minolta, it was already very clean, so a quick wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth is all that was necessary. Brief testing confirms what the reviews suggest... This lens is *sharp*! It's very good wide open, but by f/3.5 you could shave with it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-27-2021 at 10:49 AM.
10-27-2021, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #23782
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghpicard Quote
Rgd. to why don't people clean their gear when selling the answer is easy: they let the risk of scratching/damaging the lens in any way while cleaning it to the buyer...
I'm not talking about a skilled, full strip-down and valet... merely blowing dust away, getting dead skin out of rubber grips, and giving it a quick, sanitary wipe over with a damp cloth. Not only does it make equipment look better, but it strikes me as a minor courtesy to afford the buyer, not to mention a matter of basic hygiene. I submit to you that it's laziness, not aversity to risk, that prevents a seller from wielding a microfibre cloth for all of five minutes...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-27-2021 at 10:52 AM.
10-27-2021, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #23783

I'm not talking about a skilled, full strip-down and valet... merely blowing dust away, getting dead skin out of rubber grips, and giving it a quick, sanitary wipe over with a damp cloth. Not only does it make equipment look better, but it strikes me as a minor courtesy to afford the buyer, not to mention a matter of basic hygiene. I submit to you that it's laziness, not aversity to risk, that prevents a seller from wielding a microfibre cloth for all of five minutes...
Yes, I can't agree more with that. I do lens servicing (down to the last helicoid) only for myself, but I do electronics service for a lot of friends and relatives and I do hate to find finger grease all over knobs, buttons and generally everywhere. Ugh!. A general cleaning with mild soap and water does marvels with any kind of equipment and as you say is a minor and basic courtesy.
10-28-2021, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #23784
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Full HV kit

Just ordered HV kit with the Zeiss 24-70mm. It is a full kit with cables, carrying case, 2 batteries, around 8,000 clicks.

Hasselblad HV DSLR camera kit | eBay

Can we start an HV Club? Well, maybe not a very big club . . . how about an HV and A99 Club?

Now I guess I got to get the 50mm f 1.4 and a few other choice lenses.
10-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #23785
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Just ordered HV kit with the Zeiss 24-70mm. It is a full kit with cables, carrying case, 2 batteries, around 8,000 clicks.

Hasselblad HV DSLR camera kit | eBay

Can we start an HV Club? Well, maybe not a very big club . . . how about an HV and A99 Club?

Now I guess I got to get the 50mm f 1.4 and a few other choice lenses.
Wow... Congratulations, Ivan - that's amazing!! What an incredible deal, especially considering it has all the bits and pieces with it, and the low shutter count. Quite a steal at the price. The build quality is superb, and noticeably more robust than the A99 on which it's based. The Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 SSM is also beautifully built and optically superb - probably the best lens I own (certainly the best zoom lens) in terms of performance through the focal length range, sharpness across the frame and pleasing rendering. You're going to love it, I'm sure.

Well, there's at least two of us in the club

I wonder if you're aware that there were other Hasselblad versions of Sony cameras - the Stellar (based on the RX100) and Lunar (NEX-7)? I'm sure there was one other, but I can't recall what it was called...
10-28-2021, 05:34 AM - 3 Likes   #23786
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow... Congratulations, Ivan - that's amazing!! What an incredible deal, especially considering it has all the bits and pieces with it, and the low shutter count. Quite a steal at the price. The build quality is superb, and noticeably more robust than the A99 on which it's based. The Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 SSM is also beautifully built and optically superb - probably the best lens I own (certainly the best zoom lens) in terms of performance through the focal length range, sharpness across the frame and pleasing rendering. You're going to love it, I'm sure.

Well, there's at least two of us in the club

I wonder if you're aware that there were other Hasselblad versions of Sony cameras - the Stellar (based on the RX100) and Lunar (NEX-7)? I'm sure there was one other, but I can't recall what it was called...
I thought it was a good deal too. I submitted a $1,500 offer, and 30 minutes later went back and bought it at the Buy It Now price because I was afraid I would lose it! I am retired and have more money than brains, though not all that much of either.

I think one Hasselblad-Sony camera should do me. However, I do notice that there are several other Zeiss A-mount lenses available. I notice there is a Zeiss 135mm f 1.8, but I already have it in K-mount. I may pick up one of thse FOTODIOX K-Sony A-mount adapters. They have glass, but would let me try out a few of my 100+ Pentax lenses on the HV.

Flower season is almost over here in des Etat Unis, so I need to think up something else to shoot at, maybe barns and tractors in the Ohio countryside. Before much longer there should be some good snow shot possibilities.
10-28-2021, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #23787

A Samyang 8mm/F3.5 CS fisheye, the first version with yellow cosmetic metal band and non-removable hood. The focus ring is buttery smooth and the aperture works very well too.
It came with the original lens caps which is always a good thing with a fisheye with a bulging front element.
It has a very tiny speck of something that looks like oil in the front element that doesn't show at all in the images and I'm using it to measure how much time I can keep my OCD under control.
10-28-2021, 07:48 AM   #23788
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another installment in my Minolta AF 35-70 f/4 story...

The seller was very courteous and apologetic, and issued a full refund without requiring return of the lens - which probably made sense, as it's not worth anything in its current condition, and he'd have been responsible for return shipping due to the undeclared defect.

After a lot of initially-fruitless searching online, I eventually found a series of annotated photos on pbase that show how to fully disassemble this lens for the purpose of cleaning the diaphragm blades (seems it's a common issue with this model, among others). There's a fair amount of work involved, but it's not the worst I've seen. I haven't the time nor inclination to attempt it in the immediate future, but I'm thinking it might be a nice winter weekend project. If I screw it up, I'm no worse off... but if I'm successful then I'll have a nice little lens to play with over Christmas.

Watch this space

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-28-2021 at 08:32 AM.
10-28-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #23789
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought it was a good deal too. I submitted a $1,500 offer, and 30 minutes later went back and bought it at the Buy It Now price because I was afraid I would lose it! I am retired and have more money than brains, though not all that much of either.
You did the right thing, IMHO. The HV even on its own is rare, but I've never seen another kit aside from my own. It wouldn't have been long before someone else snapped it up at the Buy It Now price, so it was wise to bite the bullet and ante up In any case, I reckon you've paid less for that complete kit than the cost of a well-used Sony A99, the same lens and all the additional items if you bought them individually.

I do notice that there are several other Zeiss A-mount lenses available. I notice there is a Zeiss 135mm f 1.8, but I already have it in K-mount. I may pick up one of thse FOTODIOX K-Sony A-mount adapters. They have glass, but would let me try out a few of my 100+ Pentax lenses on the HV.
I've not tried any K-mount glass on mine, but - as I think I mentioned before - I do use it with a number of my Soviet M42 lenses. It's great for M42 I'd love some of the other A-mount Sony Zeiss lenses, but they're a little rich for my blood. Thankfully, there's plenty of good OEM and third-party glass that doesn't break the bank.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the HV, Ivan...
10-28-2021, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #23790
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a new Dell XPS 17 9710 with an i7-11800K, RTX 3060, 64Gb RAM and a 1Tb SSD. So far I absolutely LOVE this computer. I also got an aluminum riser to help the laptop cool down.