Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #2401
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well one that I may have let get away (still trying to get in contact with the owner) is the Tele Tak 300 f5.6 preset... DOH! I want this lens! Sure my 23A does 300mm.. but.. but.. the old Tele Tak would be nice

02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #2402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Hey! I got expenses!... OK...I'll include the ring flash.
Well that sounds more fair
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #2403
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This kind of special. My wife bought me a Kata 123 Go Sling Pack 10!

I have not used/loaded it yet, but it looks like it will be great.
02-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #2404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New To Me!

Hi Everybody,
My LBA has been in remission lately, but never fear, it's sneaking back. See, I have this short list of "If I could afford it, I'd buy..."
24mm f/2.0 (under $200.00)
400mm f/5.6
Bokina
And, now removed from this list....
A 200mm f2.8.
Because, I found a Tokina AT-X 80-200mm f/2.8 in good condition, glass is immaculate, outside and hood have some wear, for (ready?) $250 including shipping. !!
Why so inexpensive, you ask? Well, the reason is simple. It's an older version, which is to say, manual focus. It is an "A" lens, with the old-style one ring push-pull-twist ring for zoom/focus.
Also, no tripod mount on this version, but that was (hopefully) solved on eBay; once I got the lens I measured the diameter near the aperture ring, then ordered a 67mm Canon tripod collar. This all-metal lens is, how you say, weight-challenged. Hefty. Zaftig. Big-Boned. Stout.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. no, sir.
Anyway, here it is, and I'm happy once again...
Ron

Attached Images

02-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #2405
Veteran Member

that's a bit of a piddly little lens you got there Ron...

02-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #2406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes!

Hi Wolfiegirl,
You're right, it's big and heavy, the first thing I thought was "Uh Oh, gonna need a tripod/monopod mount" for the times when I'm more than 4 feet away from my car.
But the zoom ring is in the right place to stabilize it with one hand, well-balanced in that regard. I just worry about mounting it on a tripod with the camera taking all the weight. So I ordered the tripod collar, we'll see if it attaches OK.
Anyway, it's bright and clear thru the viewfinder, my new KatzEye screen helps, too. Looking forward to some Spring sports action but right now we're digging out of a foot of snow, still falling, in fact.
Ron
02-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #2407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
.. Looking forward to some Spring sports action but right now we're digging out of a foot of snow, still falling, in fact.
Ron
meanwhile we've had a lovely sunny day - the first one in fact in close to five days it's been raining like nobody's business. Over 40mls at home.

I set up my tripod today. I've only had it for like close to a month and a half - and only took it out of its packaging today.

02-04-2012, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #2408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice catch, Ron! I'll be looking out for some samples.
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #2409
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't think I have posted this here? If so, forgive me, I am old and have Squirrel Fever to boot.

I got this for me...for my Birthday in November and have barely let it out of my hands ever since. What a fantastic little Jewel it is! More fun than a box of Squirrels and as capable as you can imagine a small camera to be. 150% satisfied in almost every regard, and as much in love with it today as I was the day I opened the box.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #2410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't think I have posted this here? If so, forgive me, I am old and have Squirrel Fever to boot.

I got this for me...for my Birthday in November and have barely let it out of my hands ever since. What a fantastic little Jewel it is! More fun than a box of Squirrels and as capable as you can imagine a small camera to be. 150% satisfied in almost every regard, and as much in love with it today as I was the day I opened the box.

[/url] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
Pierre is calling you a traitor and mean and miserable. After all, think of all the yummy nuts you could have bought him instead.
02-04-2012, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2411
Veteran Member

Hi Wolfiegirl,
You're right, it's big and heavy, the first thing I thought was "Uh Oh, gonna need a tripod/monopod mount" for the times when I'm more than 4 feet away from my car.
But the zoom ring is in the right place to stabilize it with one hand, well-balanced in that regard. I just worry about mounting it on a tripod with the camera taking all the weight. So I ordered the tripod collar, we'll see if it attaches OK.
Anyway, it's bright and clear thru the viewfinder, my new KatzEye screen helps, too. Looking forward to some Spring sports action but right now we're digging out of a foot of snow, still falling, in fact.
Ron
Very good lens and a very good buy! I don't know where you are going to place the tripod collar, you probably have to make some modification to the tripod collar ring to make it work. I bought three aftermarket tripod collars for three Tamron lenses (19AH, 23A, and 54B). I had to make some modifications to the collar ring to be able to mount them to the lens and still retain all of the lens' functions (able to R&R the mounts, enter and exit macro mode with 23A). Only thing I haven't been able to achieve is easy turning of the camera from landscape to portrait mode and back, there is a UHMW low friction tape I could use from Lee Valley but this is a low priority project for me.

If you need a hand with your lens and collar, pm some hi-res pictures of the lens around where you want to place the collar along with the dimensions of the collar ring's width.
02-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #2412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Balancing Act?

Hi Dadipentak,
Thanks! I'm looking forward to some shots too, but this near-blizzard has to move out first. Don't you just hate it when you get new stuff and can't try it out?
Hello Excanonfd,
You're right, there's very limited space between the aperture ring and the most-rearward zoom position. A puzzling feature is that there's a slim collar there already, it turns freely but has no mounting flange for the tripod screw, it's just a collar. It has a few small-diameter holes which appear to be threaded, but they don't line up with any matching holes in the lens barrel. It may be part of a previously complete tripod mount.
My photos could be better, I agree. I took them with a P + S so I could include the SLR body. I'll post better ones when the collar arrives.
Thanks for the interest!
Ron
02-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #2413
Veteran Member

I'm going to buck the trend and post a non-camera-related item. I picked up a new watch. Just sort of a daily beater type watch. It's my 3rd Seiko. These watches hold up very well.

02-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #2414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I'm going to buck the trend and post a non-camera-related item. I picked up a new watch. Just sort of a daily beater type watch. It's my 3rd Seiko. These watches hold up very well.

I'm a fan of Seiko watches - value for money and some really nice designs too. Here's my favorite, only slightly photoshopped
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #2415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't you just hate it when you get new stuff and can't try it out?
Yup, but it's absolutely predictable: "the Law of General Cussedness" as my uncle would say.