Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #2416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I'm going to buck the trend and post a non-camera-related item. I picked up a new watch. Just sort of a daily beater type watch. It's my 3rd Seiko. These watches hold up very well.

On my wrist at this very moment is a Seiko I picked up in 1978 for C$80 or thereabouts. Batteries last 5 years. The watch looks and acts like a generic auto wind watch: 3 hands and a date that has to be moved ahead manually when a month has less than 31 days. The battery warning is clever - the second hand jumps two seconds at a time when the battery gets low. It was a lot of money for me at the time, but has worked out to be an excellent value.

02-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #2417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone out there have experience in repairs to the Bulova Accutron? I'm referring to the REAL thing, with the tuning fork, not the current reincarnation as a quartz watch. I have a series 214 Space View, NOS crystal, which needs some repair. I gather that Bulova won't touch them anymore, and there are enough shops listed on the web that I don't know who I could trust with this watch.
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #2418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm a fan of Seiko watches - value for money and some really nice designs too. Here's my favorite, only slightly photoshopped
I have a Seiko SKX009 in my wish list on Amazon! I'm not one for divers, but I really like this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
On my wrist at this very moment is a Seiko I picked up in 1978 for C$80 or thereabouts. Batteries last 5 years. The watch looks and acts like a generic auto wind watch: 3 hands and a date that has to be moved ahead manually when a month has less than 31 days. The battery warning is clever - the second hand jumps two seconds at a time when the battery gets low. It was a lot of money for me at the time, but has worked out to be an excellent value.
Very nice! I'm hoping my watches last that long

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Anyone out there have experience in repairs to the Bulova Accutron? I'm referring to the REAL thing, with the tuning fork, not the current reincarnation as a quartz watch. I have a series 214 Space View, NOS crystal, which needs some repair. I gather that Bulova won't touch them anymore, and there are enough shops listed on the web that I don't know who I could trust with this watch.
It seems like this website is pretty good at it based on their info

QuoteQuote:
Accutron Repair and Restoration is our SPECIALTY including re-plating services and dial or chapter ring restoration. We repair and/or restore approximately 1,000 vintage Accutron 214 and 218 model watches each year. Bulova has been recommending Old Father Time for their Accutron repair since 1995. And when the owner of the Bulova Corporation needed his personal vintage watch repaired, it was sent to Old Father Time. That's why we've been
"The AUTHORITY ON ACCUTRON Repair" since 1995.
Because of our unique relationship with Bulova, we've recently been allowed to purchase their remaining stock of all Accutron parts.
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #2419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, worth a closer look. The watch was a college graduation present and I'd like to be able to pass it along to the next generation in operating condition.

02-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #2420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'm a watch collector, not into Accutrons myself, and know that you only want someone specializing in them to touch them or you run a VERY high risk of them ruining the watch. They are fairly valuable these days.

I'd ask this group - folks focused on value regardless of price:
Affordable watches
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #2421

I have a new project

I just shipped it off to Eric for a service.

02-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #2422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The battery warning is clever - the second hand jumps two seconds at a time when the battery gets low
A bit too subtle for me--mine screams, "Hey, dimwit, batteries don't last forever you know!"
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2423
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of Seiko watches - value for money and some really nice designs too. Here's my favorite, only slightly photoshopped
Hey that's the same watch I have (except my logo is a bit different). Great watch, mines still ticking away at +2 sec a day after 8 years of abuse and neglect.

02-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #2424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Hey that's the same watch I have (except my logo is a bit different). Great watch, mines still ticking away at +2 sec a day after 8 years of abuse and neglect.
Amazing what a little PS can do. It's a classic with a robust Seiko movement- it's on my wrist as I type this because its my knock-about weekend watch. Go anywhere, do anything and take it while looking marvelous.

I like Seikos

Photo taken with an old P&S camera several years ago.
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #2425
Veteran Member

Amazing what a little PS can do. It's a classic with a robust Seiko movement- it's on my wrist as I type this because its my knock-about weekend watch. Go anywhere, do anything and take it while looking marvelous.

I like Seikos

Photo taken with an old P&S camera several years ago.
Nice collection there, a sumo and a couple of monsters amongst others

I also have one of these with the 6R15 movement... it's my work watch (not my photo, but bought from this seller)

My dream Seiko is this one though

02-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #2426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Nice collection there, a sumo and a couple of monsters amongst others

I also have one of these with the 6R15 movement... it's my work watch (not my photo, but bought from this seller)

My dream Seiko is this one though
Mine too. Funny, seems we have each purchased from Seiya-San. The one next to the Sumo with the creme dial is a Gyro Marvel - Seikos first production automatic. The one with the white dial is the "Blue Spark" with a 6r15 movement and amazing deep blue hands (which is my day-to-day dress watch).
02-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2427
Veteran Member

02-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #2428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love compact high-functioning devices (like cameras). Semi-auto pistols fall in that category for me (watches too ), and they are fun to shoot as well (like cameras). I've been on several waiting lists for a long time trying to get a CZ P-01, and finally landed one from Bud's Gun Shop. I've already put night sights on it, and custom wood CZ grips. I shot it this morning . . . very solid, accurate, and comfortable. Of course, the CZ P-01 isn't just pretty to look at, it is known for being the most reliable pistol on the planet. In producing it the CZ P-01 was put through a torturous testing procedure:

QuoteQuote:
"The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol . . . [and] must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Drop test:
1.5 meter (4.9”) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing. 3meter drop (9.8”) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing. The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement. (The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.)"

It has a rail up front to mount a tactical light, like this NCStar I picked up at Amazon for under $25:

The CZ P-01 is considered a "compact," but it isn't quite as compact as my all-time favorite pistol, the Ruger SR9c (a bargain too at $400, it also has a rail under the barrel). Some complain about the loaded chamber indicator (the red thing sticking up on top), but I love it:

02-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #2429
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I love compact high-functioning devices (like cameras). Semi-auto pistols fall in that category for me (watches too ), and they are fun to shoot as well (like cameras). I've been on several waiting lists for a long time trying to get a CZ P-01, and finally landed one from Bud's Gun Shop. I've already put night sights on it, and custom wood CZ grips. I shot it this morning . . . very solid, accurate, and comfortable. Of course, the CZ P-01 isn't just pretty to look at, it is known for being the most reliable pistol on the planet. In producing it the CZ P-01 was put through a torturous testing procedure:

It has a rail up front to mount a tactical light, like this NCStar I picked up at Amazon for under $25:

The CZ P-01 is considered a "compact," but it isn't quite as compact as my all-time favorite pistol, the Ruger SR9c (a bargain too at $400, it also has a rail under the barrel). Some complain about the loaded chamber indicator (the red thing sticking up on top), but I love it:
wow, I like the last one. may I ask how light it is?
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #2430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
wow, I like the last one. may I ask how light it is?
23 oz. I also have a Ruger LC9, which comes in at 17 oz., and it is also thinner (ideal for sticking in the pocket). But it is just a little too light/snappy for accurate shooting past 10 feet or so, plus the trigger has a long, strong pull which doesn't help with accuracy. The SR9c however has just enough heft to keep the barrel from jumping too much, it fits the hand really well, it is deadly accurate, costs only $400 (at Buds), and best of all is the trigger. When a round is in the chamber, the gun is equivalent to cocked and locked (if safety is on). So it takes just a couple pounds of pressure to pull the trigger. An amazing gun. They had a few problems with it when it was first released a couple of years ago, but Ruger has since fixed it. I've put about 500 rounds through it so far without a single hitch. A comparison of sizes, top down the LC9, SR9c and the CZ P-01:

There are a great many YouTube reviews as well: