Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #24766
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
finally got my government paid for Covid 19 home tests - ordered Jan 22, 2022 - they came via the USPS
Me too!

Steve

02-27-2022, 09:01 PM   #24767
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
my grandfather's old Kontur viewfinder.
The Kontur viewfinders are so very clever. Have fun!

Steve
02-28-2022, 12:46 AM   #24768
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Kontur viewfinders are so very clever. Have fun!

Steve
I shall. I have all three of them. Obviously the 6X6 one is no use on 35mm, but the 6X9 matches very well with 40mm lenses. I have been itching to use them for some time. They are a joy to use for general walk about photography. I cannot see why Cosina did not resurrect the design for standard lenses ( I don't know if it would work with WA ones). I find them so much nicer than plain optical finders.
02-28-2022, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #24769
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All shipments from Asia to Europe seem to have come to a halt... Something with not flying over Russia I guess.

02-28-2022, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #24770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lomography Digitaliza 135 and 120 negative holders / masks. My search continues for film holders that will keep curly negative strips flat (Fomapan 200, I'm looking at you!) whilst being easy to load, align and advance. My fingers are tightly crossed that these Digitalizas might be the solution.
I have these and have used them for DSLR scanning negatives. They're pretty good overall but they don't keep curly films fully straight because there is nothing across the negative over the six frames (for 135 format) that the holders show.

I've never tried Fomapan 200 but have used some other curly films. I mostly avoid them as, apart from scanning, they can be difficult to get onto developing spools.
02-28-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #24771
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have these and have used them for DSLR scanning negatives. They're pretty good overall but they don't keep curly films fully straight because there is nothing across the negative over the six frames (for 135 format) that the holders show.
Yes, I tried them briefly last night, and I'd agree with your comments. They're "pretty good". So far, each of the three negative holders I own has different benefits. The Pixl-latr keeps negatives nicely flat because they butt up against the diffuser, but it's a pain in the backside for aligning and advancing pre-cut strips. The Essential Film Holder is quick and efficient for aligning and feeding film, but curly strips can be tricky to feed past the window, and it doesn't keep them as flat as I'd like. The Digitalizas are easy to load whether for one individual negative or a strip (but no good for a continuous roll), and it keeps them quite flat lengthways (especially for 35mm), but they can still bow across the width.

I had hoped to end up with just one solution I liked, and sell the others - but thus far it looks like having all three is useful

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've never tried Fomapan 200 but have used some other curly films. I mostly avoid them as, apart from scanning, they can be difficult to get onto developing spools.
The Fomapan 200 I shot was 120, and I didn't let it hang for as long as I should. I have some rolls left, and I'm not going to waste them... so, next time I shoot it, I'll let it hang for a full 24 hours with weighted clips - then I'll store them in the glassine sheets and place them between a couple of big, heavy books for a few weeks. Maybe that'll tame them a bit... but Foma 200 is notorious for lengthways curling Shame, really, as it's a very nice film...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-28-2022 at 08:20 AM.
02-28-2022, 07:10 AM - 3 Likes   #24772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, I tried them briefly last night, and I'd agree with your comments. They're "pretty good". So far, each of the three negative holders I own has different benefits. The Pixl-latr keeps negatives nicely flat because they butt up against the diffuser, but it's a pain in the backside for aligning pre-cut strips. The Essential film holder is quick and efficient for aligning and feeding film, but curly strips can be tricky to feed past the window, and it doesn't keep them as flat as I'd like. The Digitalizas are easy to load whether for one individual negative or a strip (but no good for a continuous roll), and it keeps them quite flat lengthways (especially for 35mm), but they can still bow across the width.

I had hoped to end up with just one solution I liked, and sell the others - but thus far it looks like having all three is useful

The Fomapan 200 I shot was 120, and I didn't let it hang for as long as I should. I have some rolls left, and I'm not going to waste them... so, next time I shoot it, I'll let it hang for a full 24 hours with weighted clips - then I'll store them in the glassine sheets and place them between a couple of big, heavy books for a few weeks. Maybe that'll tame them a bit... but Foma 200 is notorious for lengthways curling Shame, really, as it's a very nice film...
I made a film carrier for scanning. One issue I had was that the foma200 was curly strips catching on the window through which I scan. So, what I did was tape a piece of card, slightly narrower than the 120 to the very end of the strip. This added weight and the ability to hold it/pull it tight made scanning the first and last shots a piece of cake of course this solution only really works where you can have a continuous feed

02-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #24773

X-5

One small K-5 Brother quite cheap these days and with interesting 580mm equivallent field of view. Unfortunately these do not have RAW and also longest shutter of 4s is nothing to write poems about.

02-28-2022, 09:33 PM   #24774
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Got two 25 pack of Printfile 35-7bxw negative sleeve holders (I couldve spent a bit more to get a 100pack but that amount was too much for what I needed).

Saw a roll of Konica slide film on evilbay & so went to look up some info about it, then found a site that had a bunch of the exact same roll for $1.50, and since they were moving everything on their site was half off. I ordered 4, but then went back to buy out the rest (they had 21 left).
Ended up just buying the 21 left that site had, truthfully shouldve just bought them all out the first time around now gotta wait for both packages to arrive. The first 4 will be here tomorrow (was delayed), the rest will be here thursday (was also delayed last week due to snowstorm)
03-01-2022, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #24775
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 - 127 empty spools

Chris
03-01-2022, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #24776
Pentaxian

Got two cameras in a car boot at the weekend - a Canon Eos 1000F with a 70-200 ultrasonic lens, and an Olympus E-500 with 14-55 lens. The Eos body doesn't seem to want to fire the shutter when it has a lens on, but I bought it for the lens and that's fine. The Olympus needed a new battery which I ordered from Amazon on Sunday evening and got on Tuesday, and is working perfectly.Total spend including the battery was £69, I expect I'll come out a little ahead. Additional costs I can't put figures to are the 8GB memory card and USB battery charger, both of which I had already had in my spares drawers.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 03-01-2022 at 05:29 PM.
03-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #24777
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

new cell phone: Samsung S22 Ultra, new Canon printer (my old Epson and I had a falling out)
03-02-2022, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #24778
Pentaxian

Talking to a senior member of staff at my workplace. They mentioned they used to enjoy photography but had no interest in it now. I mentioned that I've a couple of Pentax film cameras kicking around.
Bumped into them this morning whilst running errands, and they said they'd left a present in my office. When I asked 'what have I done to deserve this?', they said that I was helping them clear out their garage.
Got into the office a short while later to find two cased Spotmatics SP's and an SV. The SV has an issue with the shutter curtain, insofar as it doesn't close completely when shuttering at lower speeds so the mirror hangs.
The Spotmatics, however, appear to work well. I'll need to find a suitable battery or convertor I think... Or use a light-meter.
Very happy chap!
03-02-2022, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #24779
Forum Member

Two brand new Pentax D-LI109 batteries from B&H for my K-70 (after finally being available again and not "discontinued").
03-02-2022, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #24780
Pentaxian

A coworker was cleaning out his basement and left this Minolta and 5 rolls of Kodak Max 800 (expired 2005) on my desk.

Film wasn't cold stored and the camera apparently only has program auto, but I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens.
Attached Images