Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2022, 01:01 AM   #25036
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I could be crazy, but I felt like the leader felt very "thin and flexible" when I loaded a roll into one of my cameras last week. I'm probably crazy, but I'll have to compare to some of the old Tri-X that's in my binder.
There was an interview with the Kodak chap here in the UK a while ago (probably a year or so, when he judged Analogue Wonderland's Tri-X competition) where he was discussing all sorts of supply chain issues (including the metal used to make the canisters). They may have had to change the formulation of the base too.

04-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #25037
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
have you shared this story before??

I posted something similar. I got a Yashica-Mat that turned out to be nasty so it went back on ebay. I then bought a super mint Yashica-Mat which is just gorgeous

@trixtroll I hope you get it fixed. At least they aren't too complex
04-29-2022, 04:34 AM   #25038
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I got small aluminum, color coded dog tags to go on my camera straps. Each with the type of camera, my name, and phone number. No more fumbling around with cameras that almost look identical. Now just a quick glance at the color of the tag is all I need!

The third is a family portrait, not including the back-up K3 or K10D IR.
I understand aps-c, FF, and IR...
But ultra violet is new to me... I suppose its more than an uv filter?
04-29-2022, 04:53 AM   #25039
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I posted something similar. I got a Yashica-Mat that turned out to be nasty so it went back on ebay. I then bought a super mint Yashica-Mat which is just gorgeous

@trixtroll I hope you get it fixed. At least they aren't too complex

and it sent you to the emergency room?

(Dave quickly crosses off anything related to Yashica-Mat's from his list)

04-29-2022, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #25040
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
One very broken Yashica TLR is headed my way….

$40 is more than I wanted to spend, but I need the viewfinder to fix the camera that sent me to urgent care during the super bowl.
So, you and your camera had a disagreement regarding the teams, and you lost?
04-29-2022, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #25041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I understand aps-c, FF, and IR...
But ultra violet is new to me... I suppose its more than an uv filter?
UV filters EXCLUDE light below purple. It is not visible to our eyes but is to film. In film the UV filters are used to exclude haze caused by it in distance shots, particularly at higher elevations.

UV photography is the opposite of that. It seeks to capture UV and exclude everything else.

The mix of light that reaches the surface of the earth is about 50% IR, 48% visible, and 2% UV. UV is what some animals see such as bees and flowers have developed patterns that can only be seen in UV to attract them.

It is a harder discipline to learn than IR or visible photography and I have have just started.
04-29-2022, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #25042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
and it sent you to the emergency room?

(Dave quickly crosses off anything related to Yashica-Mat's from his list)
Hahahaha nooo, other than causing harm to my bank balance, both Mats have been benign and the new one is my best buddy, albeit one who never buys the drinks

04-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #25043
Pentaxian

DA 55-300/4-5.8 ED (Non WR and Non HD) from a forum member... will try to use it to shoot birds and such; apparently also a good match to an achromatic close-up filter... so now i am looking at the Marumi's 330/200 line up.

Happy camper.
04-29-2022, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #25044
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
UV filters EXCLUDE light below purple. It is not visible to our eyes but is to film. In film the UV filters are used to exclude haze caused by it in distance shots, particularly at higher elevations.

UV photography is the opposite of that. It seeks to capture UV and exclude everything else.

The mix of light that reaches the surface of the earth is about 50% IR, 48% visible, and 2% UV. UV is what some animals see such as bees and flowers have developed patterns that can only be seen in UV to attract them.

It is a harder discipline to learn than IR or visible photography and I have have just started.
Bee and other insect ability to see UV has been known a long time. A new discovery, not as well known, is that some birds have feathers that specifically reflect UV which, if you could see, cause brilliant flashes of light. It is probably primarily a display-to-get-a-mate development in male birds.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-01-2022 at 04:19 PM.
04-29-2022, 05:51 PM   #25045
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Bee and other insect ability to see UV has been know a long time. A new discovery, not as well known, is that some birds have feathers that specifically reflect UV which, if you could see, cause brilliant flashes of light. It is probably primarily a display-to-get-a-mate development in male birds.
I’ve got to find out more. Thanks!
04-29-2022, 09:49 PM - 5 Likes   #25046
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I got some stuff and put assembled it into a DIY (Do It Yourself) solar generator. It cost about the same as a similar specs all in one unit but it does have some advantages. I can swap out any part that fail being a major one. The LiFePO4 battery at the center of it all has many more charge cycles that most current all in one units too. Plus it was a fun project to build. Been a few years since I pulled out my old tool bag from work. I am also going to add some USB ports that run directly off the batter so I do not need to use the one on the inverter. Not needing to turn on the inverter for USB charging saves a drain in the battery.

Parts included a Rich Solar 20A solar charge controller. An Ampere Time 50Ah LiFePO4 battery. A Giandel 600w pure sine wave inverter. An Ampere Time 10A lithium battery charger and a fuse box. All installed in a Bauer Modular Storage Tote from Harbor Freight. It would have fit into a regular plastic milk crate, but I like having the extra room to up size it at a later date. We start camping in a few weeks and is should come in handy. It can be charged using my solar panels or from an outlet. Even both at the same time. I got the idea watching Will Prowse's YouTube channel. He is a wealth of information for people who want to use solar etc.

The solar panel in the photo is from Harbor Freight. It is two 50W panels than can be folded up for transport. They are wired as a single 100W panel. I just looked at the HF website today and see that the price just jumped $10 US on these and their 100W panels.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-29-2022 at 10:02 PM.
04-29-2022, 10:30 PM - 3 Likes   #25047
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I’m gonna be like George and post about a non photography related acquisition.

Well, it is a photographic subject, and there may be more photos shared later on, as assembly to the engine, and installation into the car progress, in a more artistic manner, with proper photographic equipment, and not these poor cell phone shots.

Anyway, a package showed up from France, 26 kilos in weight. I’ve been waiting on this about as long as Covid has been a thing. The delay was blamed on supply chain issues.

It appears it was worth the wait.

I am eager to move forward now with the work on the car I bought this for.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
04-30-2022, 12:41 AM   #25048
Pentaxian

I got a couple of nice neoprene Kata camera straps like the one I wore out on my K200D and then K-3. Kata were bought by another company and they replaced this model with an inferior one but I found a guy selling two as-new straps and got them both. One is on my S5 now, not sure what I'll do with the other, perhaps just keep it as a spare.
04-30-2022, 01:22 AM   #25049
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
..... All installed in a Bauer Modular Storage Tote from Harbor Freight. It would have fit into a regular plastic milk crate, but I like having the extra room to up size it at a later date. We start camping in a few weeks and is should come in handy....
Really nice engineering!

But if you go camping and have an open crate for electronics, I would add some weather protection....
04-30-2022, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #25050
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Really nice engineering!

But if you go camping and have an open crate for electronics, I would add some weather protection....
Even if you get an all in one unit like a Bluetti you need to keep it protected from the weather. I have a cap over the bed of my pickup truck and it can go there if necessary. It will also fit in the pass through storage my me RV/Caravan trailer,