Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2022, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #25531
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Unfortunately a new printer is required as my Epson one has died. I need it for printing postage labels for the rather large number of lens de-acquisitions I am planning to make in September. Grrrrrr.
As much as I love Epson printers for photos, I have moved back to HP printers due to our semi-annual migration. Most Epson printers put the print head in the printer separate from the ink containers. HP gives you a new printhead with each cartridge change. Sitting idle for 5-7 months, for either brand, the cartridges typically have to be replaced. The ink in Epson's printers also dries and clogs the printhead. The only way around this is to laboriously and messily fully flush the printhead to be completely ink free before shutdown. With HP's design you just get another set of cartridges and you are back in business.

08-21-2022, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #25532
Pentaxian

In the middle the M* 300 f1:4

08-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #25533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The car will need tires, or transmission repair.
Tires only have about 5,000 miles on them. Truck has 55,000 miles and I will be towing the trailer this week.
08-21-2022, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #25534
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Truck has 55,000 miles and I will be towing the trailer this week.
There's the unexpected transmission repair.

cheesy

Just kidding George. Have a safe and pleasant trip.

08-22-2022, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #25535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently purchased a new external hard drive after one containing tens of thousands of image files crashed (possibly in excess of 100,000 files). But I had backups, BUT it is taking a ghastly, incomprehensibly long time to restore the image files to the new external drive. It's taking about 45 seconds per individual image file, and now and then the computer shuts down and stops the transferring. I estimate with the restoration running 24 hours a day it will take three or four weeks at least to get all the files into the new external drive. Also, I've experimented with LR to see if it will reconnect the files already transferred with the LR catalog. So far, nothing works. I cannot get the files already transferred to show up in LR at all. If I cannot get the files reconnected, I may have to reimport them with loss of years worth of PP work.

PHOOEY!! It's enough to make one go back to film, but then again, I couldn't participate on PF unless the negatives and chromes were scanned*, which puts me right back in the same box.

*The external drive that failed contained several thousand scans from chromes.
08-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #25536
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel your pain, Walt.
08-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #25537

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I recently purchased a new external hard drive after one containing tens of thousands of image files crashed (possibly in excess of 100,000 files). But I had backups, BUT it is taking a ghastly, incomprehensibly long time to restore the image files to the new external drive. It's taking about 45 seconds per individual image file, and now and then the computer shuts down and stops the transferring. I estimate with the restoration running 24 hours a day it will take three or four weeks at least to get all the files into the new external drive. Also, I've experimented with LR to see if it will reconnect the files already transferred with the LR catalog. So far, nothing works. I cannot get the files already transferred to show up in LR at all. If I cannot get the files reconnected, I may have to reimport them with loss of years worth of PP work.

PHOOEY!! It's enough to make one go back to film, but then again, I couldn't participate on PF unless the negatives and chromes were scanned*, which puts me right back in the same box.

That sounds as if the external drive (I assume it's the target, and new) or the source one are having problems too. Try to do a straight copy (I mean using the Operating System's file manager) from one to the other, and also a copy of a file into the same disk. It should take nothing. WRT the LR problem, there is probably a function around there to rescan the archive, but if you still have disk problems then that could be blocking all scans.
In any case, 45 seconds per file is not normal.

08-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #25538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are all the files in one directory?

You can have too many files in one directory - it’ll work fine one file at a time, but once the dir size exceeds the directory buffer cache size you’ll run into problems with things like bulk copies and backups - it’ll start with weird pauses during large copies and get worse as the file count multiplies and exponentiates ;if that’s a word) - it gets much worse, there’s a “knee” in that curve. I’ve seen systems where a backup that takes hours go to 1.5x an evening window to more than a weekend to “we can’t back this up, help!” pretty quickly. Add to that, if you use the gui instead of the cli windows has a display cache buffer that can also be exceeded.

Anyway, hundreds of thousands in on directory is too many. If it’s spread across multiples then no probs.. (at least with the OS)
08-23-2022, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #25539
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one Vivitar (Cosina) 24/2.8 'macro' lens....
08-23-2022, 03:57 AM   #25540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am absolutely not computer tech savvy. I keep all of my image files in external hard drives, not in the computer itself. The one that failed is a large capacity drive, only about half of its capacity had been utilized at the time it crashed. The small external drives that I use for backup were purchased after the first time an external drive failed. They are not automatic. I plug them once a month, the time period encoded in each drive, and must trigger them to start a backup. As I learned when I started to restore, each of these retains ALL of the backups it has performed. So the one I'm using to back up now also has backup copies from Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr-May-June-July of this year, as well as for each month of 2021, as well as from every month of 2020, and possibly further back.to the very first time I used the device. The backup for the current disc that failed is divided between two backups. I created a folder last year in it for storing all image files from that date up to today. Backup #1 only backups files before creation of that folder. A second backup stores only files in that new folder. So far, I'm only working with the first backup. As it has not completed the task, and will probably take another two weeks or more to complete the job, I have not started with the second backup drive which has somewhat fewer image files in it.
08-23-2022, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #25541
Veteran Member

Everyones worst nightmare. after going through that a couple of times in now have ridiculous redundancy a raid backing up everything and 2 16tb drives mirroring each other and a cloud backup , so now the nightmare never ends because i have to maintain it all
08-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #25542
Veteran Member

my latest and probably last for a lond time aquisition is a Godox MF12 twin macro flash. works with my existing strobes and triggger and i can use them as highlight flashes in studio . Haven't had much chance to use them yet though
Attached Images

08-25-2022, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #25543
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

in aid of my own backup scheme, the OWC Mercury Pro arrived yesterday - plugged it in and it works as advertised:

08-25-2022, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #25544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

85mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens

Manual focus, late non-AI with AI cosmetics

$149 from an eBay seller in Canada

Chris
08-25-2022, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #25545
Pentaxian

I just ordered a third Z1 as I found one online for a reasonable price. No idea when I'll get it as it's in the UK and I'm in Spain, but well, I'll get it at some point. I regard three as a good number of film cameras of a model I like, to ensure many years of enjoyment

---------- Post added 25-08-22 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
85mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens

Manual focus, late non-AI with AI cosmetics

$149 from an eBay seller in Canada

Chris
Very nice. I was eyeing-up Nikon fast 85s this morning (of both AF and MF varieties) but I can't really justify them.