Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #2971
Veteran Member

I am now an owner of a Fujifilm X10. Lovely camera.

05-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #2972
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally went ahead and bought K-5 + 18-135mm lens today. I'm at work so haven't played with it yet but I really hope the lens is going to be amazing because I still feel the lens is rather expensive.
05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #2973
Veteran Member

It's not...
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #2974
Veteran Member

went via the outlet store on the way home last night for a lark.

spotted dick smiths (electronics store) was closing down, and headed on in.

just under $200 later, I walk out with:

1.5 terabyte external hard drive (usb powered)
3 usb port and multi card reader hub
1 wireless router so that we can surf the net simultaneously in style
1 phone cover for wolfieboy - am very envious of his iphone4s but nothing i can do about it.

Am now happily moving all my photos etc onto the hard drive. I only had 3 gig of storage left on my lappie (!) - I took a *lot* of photos on the holiday trip. I didn't even know they made 1.5 terabyte drives. It's a 2.0 and it was hidden in the back of the cupboard (I had to ask the salesguy if what was on the shelf was all that was left). Very happy I did that, because he checked the computer and then got confused and trotted out the key.

With all the closing down discounts I know for a fact that there was no way I could've bought that 1.5 terabyte for the price I paid. These days, post Thailand tsunami floods I think for the price I paid it's about the same as what you pay for a 750 gig full price depending on the store you go to.

*happy sigh*

05-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #2975
Veteran Member

I saw 1.5TB and 2TB drives cheap at local Big Box stores recently, in the US$90-$130 range, so the post-flood crisis doesn't seem severe here. And another 2TB drive may follow me home soon.

But while we haven't acquired anything lately but splendid artworks (Native American ceramics etc) we *do* expect some new arrivals in upcoming weeks: Lenovo laptop, Android tablet, maybe a K-01 if I sell enough lenses-radios-guitars-etc. I wonder what the ca.1947 Aloha lap-steel with original case and matching amp will fetch? And the Zenith Transoceanics?

We have a plan: Leave California around the middle of this upcoming October, be in central Mexico for the Days of the Dead festivities, then drive around Yucatan and Guatemala and Nicaragua till the rainy season starts after Easter. We should bring back some goodies from that trip. Maybe a handmade guitar, eh?
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #2976
Veteran Member

Hey Rico, Geez, I don't come online for a while and you're at a whopping 10k of posts!! and here I thought I was a chatterbox

From memory, like most things, the prices for electronics in America differs to Australia with you guys being cheaper than us/or us always getting ripped off on pricing (depending on which way you look at it ). At the same time, was it the power plugged ones you saw or the USB powered ones? I find the power plugged ones are all relatively reasonably priced. But for me, the convenience of the usb powered version outweighs the cost for me. And in this case, I've effectively paid the same price for a power plugged one except it's a usb one. Score!

Mind you I'm also working off internet prices - I haven't gone into too many brick and mortar stores of late (the one I went into last night obviously excluded from my big statement).

Your incoming gadgets all sound very exciting! And a k-01 to boot!!! I've culled out three bags of camera goodies and need to get cracking on selling to get some income. That's if I ever stop sleeping and PP'ing holiday shots.
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #2977
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's not...
You have a very, um, "direct" bedside manner.

05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #2978
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You have a very, um, "direct" bedside manner.

Zafar and I are buddies from another forum. Just ribbing him for not consulting me before purchase.
05-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #2979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

Zafar and I are buddies from another forum. Just ribbing him for not consulting me before purchase.
LOL, well I hope you break it more gently when he buys a DA*16-50 and expects it to be as good as a $1,500 lens should be.
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #2980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And the Zenith Transoceanics?
I actually own an old wooden Zenith repair box. I use it to store CDs, but I've been pondering how I could convert it over to a lens case. I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult.

The best part is I found it for free sitting out by the road on garbage night about ten years back.

One man's trash, as they say...

I'll see if I can hunt the thing down and grab a shot, its really nifty in a retro kind of way, and built like a (wooden) tank.

EDIT: Here are the pics. I placed my K-x and A3000 on it for scale. It should be able to hold a LOT of lenses.

Technically this would be an 'old acquisition' but it would be repurposed at some point to become new I suppose...

Last edited by Sagitta; 05-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #2981
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
LOL, well I hope you break it more gently when he buys a DA*16-50 and expects it to be as good as a $1,500 lens should be.
He's Danish, so it'll probably be more like a $2,500 clunker.
05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #2982
Veteran Member

Tons of PVC pipe and a whole bag of couplers et all, a PVC cutter, glue, etc. A whole bag of various clamps, some more car reflectors, the brightest little LCD flashlight I've ever seen and 3 little round LCD lights that are perfect as add on spot lights for my table top studio. I hit the Lowe's hardware store today so I could get some more supplies to do some household projects for my parent's house, mainly more screening because I've been repairing all their window screens and the storm plastic in their sun room. While we were shopping Dad handed me a copy of his CC from there told me I was now and authorized user on it and to spend $100 if I wanted. Said I deserved a few "toys" of my own for doing all their screens (and saving them tons of $$$ and hassle doing them all) so I got my PVC and so forth for my soft box panel, boom arm and reflector holder projects. You know I think I am beginning to just like that stuff. It's like Tinker Toys for adults, laugh.

Tomorrow I'm going to head to Goodwill to see if I can find some white curtains and some sheets to cut up. I want to sew up some curtains out in our screen room to diffuse the light a little and I'll need a flat sheet or two to cover the soft box panels. I'm making two, a big one out of PVC and a smaller one made from an old canvas frame. By the time I am done with this my little home studio will be looking pretty good. I also raided my fabric bins last night to see what I could make backdrops from and I found I've got some really nice velvets in there. I've got gold, gray, dark and olive green, a really pretty cut out blue, and some tri-color net for draping. What I am hoping to find at Goodwill too is some of those really old moire silk curtain panels in a jewel tone or some more natural cotton ones in different colors from white. I used to have these two tone heavy silk ones in aqua and blue when I was a kid. I loved them and I can't help but think that they would have photographed very well as a backdrop. Most people have gotten away from using all those old and heavy curtains so I'm sure there are a lot of panels out there to find.

Having a good sewing machine, definitely going to save my arse as a photographer. The prices on those hand painted backdrops are absurdly expensive. I don't particularly like the digital ones much though I do have a few. I have a feeling I'm going to be using a lot of "found" materials in my studio, things like sheets, throws, cotton wall tapestries, et all. I don't want to just photograph against black and white all the time. That's just too boring after a while....

Last edited by magkelly; 05-07-2012 at 10:51 PM.
05-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #2983
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hey Rico, Geez, I don't come online for a while and you're at a whopping 10k of posts!! and here I thought I was a chatterbox
Welcome back! Wondered what happened to you. Now you can go for ribbons too!

QuoteQuote:
At the same time, was it the power plugged ones you saw or the USB powered ones? I find the power plugged ones are all relatively reasonably priced. But for me, the convenience of the usb powered version outweighs the cost for me.
I think the 1.5TB was USB and the 2TB was a plug-in. I'll be in another Big Box in a couple days, and look for types and prices. If I remember to. Duh.

QuoteQuote:
Your incoming gadgets all sound very exciting! And a k-01 to boot!!! I've culled out three bags of camera goodies and need to get cracking on selling to get some income. That's if I ever stop sleeping and PP'ing holiday shots.
I'm on a mission, or several quests, or whatever. Get in shape for the long drive towards Nicaragua in 5 months. Choose optimal affordable puter gear. (Bought from the house budget, not my PayPal account. Whew.) Sell some old hardware so I can buy some new photo stuff -- maybe a K-01, maybe a NEX, depends on how much more LBA I can handle. Or maybe just a new travel lens. But first, gotta finish unpacking (we just returned 60 hours ago from a long sojourn). And I'll want to develop the RAWs I shot this year.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I actually own an old wooden Zenith repair box. I use it to store CDs, but I've been pondering how I could convert it over to a lens case. I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult.
Yeah, that's a beauty! I sure miss Zenith, from the hot-tube radios to the Heath-Zenith computers. My HZ-90, RIP...
05-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #2984
JFN
Veteran Member

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and a MIS UT14 kit.
05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #2985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We have a plan: Leave California around the middle of this upcoming October, be in central Mexico for the Days of the Dead festivities, then drive around Yucatan and Guatemala and Nicaragua till the rainy season starts after Easter.
Heh, and I was getting comments telling me how brave I was to have ventured to Cancun over spring break.