Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #3421
Pentaxian

Sorry for the crap mobile photo:

It's been loaded up with FP4+ as a test roll. Man it's heavy once it's got batteries, lens etc. I just have the FA 75/2.8 and don't plan on getting any other lenses for now. Would it be too much to shoot the whole test roll at f/2.8?

08-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #3422
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You'll enjoy the grip. I'm interested in the 540 as well but am waiting because I am hoping that Photokina will bring an annoucement for a new Pentax flash.
Good idea....Yes i like the grip.. I have both pentax batteries...
08-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #3423
Banned

Photos: Albums
You'll enjoy the grip. I'm interested in the 540 as well but am waiting because I am hoping that Photokina will bring an annoucement for a new Pentax flash
I'm "trying to hold off" on purchasing yet another 540 - plus the two hunder dollar external battery pack, to also see if a new option will be released. But also strongly weighing in on the possible need for all of the GN that the flagship Metz is capable of - besides the 1k price
08-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #3424
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'm "trying to hold off" on purchasing yet another 540 - plus the two hunder dollar external battery pack, to also see if a new option will be released. But also strongly weighing in on the possible need for all of the GN that the flagship Metz is capable of - besides the 1k price
$1k = flash + power pack + cable?

08-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #3425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's been loaded up with FP4+ as a test roll. Man it's heavy once it's got batteries, lens etc. I just have the FA 75/2.8 and don't plan on getting any other lenses for now. Would it be too much to shoot the whole test roll at f/2.8?
how much with the batteries in it ?
08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #3426
Banned

$1k = flash + power pack + cable?
Actually I was thinking of this one...

Metz Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 Digital Handle Mount Flash with Auto Zoom

It's about 1k or so. Any secondary built in battery does for a bit less than about 150.

It also has an external power pack option...

Metz P76 NiMH Power Pack with Charger MZ 53129 B&H Photo Video

Either way it's remarkeably well balanced on a variety of Pentax cameras - for the size and GN power of the flash unit.

But not quite as costly as...

Quantum Instruments Qflash T5D-R TTL Flash w/ Turbo 3 B&H Photo

A bit of thirteen hundred, plus the external batteries go for over six hundred
08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #3427
Veteran Member

the Metz 76 is a stellar flash (I have a very old 45 at this point that need new batteries I use with my Bronnie (and sometimes on DSLR with a Wein shoe)

08-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #3428
Veteran Member

I went with a Metz 60 CT-4 because I was able to put together a complete system for under $100. If you want power and don't care about P-TTL compatibility there lots of Metz hammerhead flashes out there on the used market at very low prices. Most people don't seem to be willing to lug that much weight and bulk around.

As for acquisitions I picked up an Asus PA 238 QR on sale to replace a Samsung monitor that flashes if you use it for extended periods. It was $100 cheaper than the one my sister got 6 months ago.
08-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #3429
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I went with a Metz 60 CT-4 because I was able to put together a complete system for under $100. If you want power and don't care about P-TTL compatibility there lots of Metz hammerhead flashes out there on the used market at very low prices. Most people don't seem to be willing to lug that much weight and bulk around.

As for acquisitions I picked up an Asus PA 238 QR on sale to replace a Samsung monitor that flashes if you use it for extended periods. It was $100 cheaper than the one my sister got 6 months ago.

Wow my CT-4 new cost close to 1K new, you can get modules for TTL but not sure if it's compatible with modern cameras?
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote

The Pentax AF400 is also out there very reasonably. Lots of power, but also pretty heavy. It eats 6 AA's pretty fast, but the power pack uses 6 C cells and gives many, many flashes. More weight, though. For whatever reason Pentax, in their infinite wisdom, chose to make the power pack for the 540 P-TTL with a different connector than the power pack for the AF400. I remember seeing a post on converting the AF400 to work with the 540, just a matter of changing the plug. Apparently that is the only significant difference.
08-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #3431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
how much with the batteries in it ?
1.666 kilos loaded with 120 film, with the FA 75mm (which I believe is slightly lighter than the A) and six lithium AAs, which are lighter than alkalines or rechargeables. I'd have used alkalines but the previous owner was kind enough to include the lithiums, they probably have enough juice for me to shoot for years before needing to change them.

I went out earlier and shot a half dozen frames, all at f/2.8 because I want to see what this baby can do in terms of DOF and sharpness wide open. I will have to get a 58mm 3 or 4 stop ND filter as the 1/1000s is a limitation, even at ISO 125. In this filter size I only have a mediocre quality circular polariser, though it did the trick for today.

Medium format, baby!
08-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #3432
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just received 2 Wasabi Li batteries for my K-5 and an AC charger, with car adaptor from Amazon. Total cost about $30.00. I have the same items for my K10 and they've been satisfactory. I have some plastic containers from Porters in Iowa to hold the charged batteries, with a little piece of plastic foam packing material the batteries don't rattle. Here's the containers in their website Film-Stor Box, Yellow - FS-1BB I'm going to label the batteries, chargers and the little boxes with nail polish, since the batteries for the cameras are very similar in appearance.
08-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #3433
Veteran Member

I feel like I splurged a bit too much $$$ today... Pentax A 50 2.8 Macro and Tokina 80-200 2.8 MF. If only fleabay didn't exist, I wouldn't be so tempted...
I've also got a K-30 coming, should be here early next week- at least I'm not the one who had to pay for it!
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #3434

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I feel like I splurged a bit too much $$$ today... Pentax A 50 2.8 Macro and Tokina 80-200 2.8 MF. If only fleabay didn't exist, I wouldn't be so tempted...
I've also got a K-30 coming, should be here early next week- at least I'm not the one who had to pay for it!
Wanted that lens but for under 100 bucks.Didn't look up the specs on the lens but if I remember right when that lens was made the designation 2.8
wasn't constant
08-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #3435
Veteran Member

Had a copy of this lens a year ago - sold it - missed it - bought another one........

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:15 AM.