Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #3526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had to run an errand for my parents at Goodwill. Dad gave me $50 and told me to get what he wanted, anything left over was mine to spend. I got what he wanted for under $30 so I ended up with $20 to spend in my pocket and came home with a few new toys. :P I got a Fuji S5000 (works perfectly) for $13, a YUS Auto 28mm lens with the official 2X tele-converter for $5, and for $2 a small Samsonite camera bag that just about fit the S5000 perfectly. The S5000 actually came in a nice black Tommy Hilfiger bag with a bunch of cables and the guide and stuff. The bag was about $100 retail originally. I looked it up, but Hilfger bags don't resell for more than $20-30 usually so while that was nice it wasn't that big of a deal. The YUS lens is actually one of the good versions. It's nice and heavy and looks to be decently sharp. It's better than what I have for that kit and for that little I wasn't into leaving it there, not with the tele-converter being with it. It's about $65 worth of lens and converter...

Why would I want the S5000, you ask? Well, as much as I love my SLR's and DSLR I still sometimes miss my S7000 and it's easy to use macro setting. The S5000 came out about the same time and was a decent little camera. I almost bought it at the time. The S7000 could use CF cards though so in the end I got that one, but the S5000 for $13. That a steal. I just couldn't resist it for that little particularly since I got the designer bag with it. It was a $500 camera back in the day. Picky reviews to the contrary I've never met a Fuji P&S that did not take excellent pics! My S7000 was a stellar little camera and I could not resist seeing if the S5000 wasn't as well.

Note: It's not bad, but it's in not nearly as good as my S7000 was. No macro in the programmed settings, which sucks, because that's half the reason I bought it. Grr...

Last edited by magkelly; 09-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
09-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #3527
Pentaxian

Name:  16G_Capture.PNG
Views: 267
Size:  4.5 KB

Just added 16GB (2x8GB) to the laptop running Windows 7. LR4.1 is now lightning fast.
09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #3528
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
LR4.1 is now lightning fast.
and that's really pleasing when you are not slow down by gear during the workflow !

Enjoy and cheers !
09-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #3529
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Just bought another 1TB 2.5 HDD for my laptop. That makes 2TB in total yeeehaaaa.
What I want to know is what in heck you put on your HD that you need TWO TB of space? :P I'm a music freak to the tune of 15GB's worth of stuff sitting on my drive usually and I must have at least 30 GIGS of video and another 30 GBS of games at any given time, plus another 150GBS of programs, graphics, et all. I sometimes come quite close to filling up 1/2 to 3/4 of my 550 GB drive with "stuff " but there is no way I could ever fill up 1TB let alone TWO. I mean, wow....

09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #3530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
What I want to know is what in heck you put on your HD that you need TWO TB of space? :P I'm a music freak to the tune of 15GB's worth of stuff sitting on my drive usually and I must have at least 30 GIGS of video and another 30 GBS of games at any given time, plus another 150GBS of programs, graphics, et all. I sometimes come quite close to filling up 1/2 to 3/4 of my 550 GB drive with "stuff " but there is no way I could ever fill up 1TB let alone TWO. I mean, wow....
Try shoot RAW+ all the time at maximum quality, you will find out soon enough
09-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #3531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Try shoot RAW+ all the time at maximum quality, you will find out soon enough
I DO, often to the tune of 300 plus shots per shoot, but I still don't use TB worth of drive space. Then again I probably have several TB worth of backup CD's at this point. I honestly don't know how many. But I actually just went through a 100 pack of DVD's backing up and clearing off the drive in the past month so I'm probably just as bad and don't realize it. I back up quite a bit, make multiple copies of all the pics. I don't leave all that much on the drive unless I need access to it all the time and even then I back it up constantly. I'm anal about that. I've got my pics backed up to several USB drives and DVD's now...
09-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #3532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I DO, often to the tune of 300 plus shots per shoot, but I still don't use TB worth of drive space. Then again I probably have several TB worth of backup CD's at this point. I honestly don't know how many. But I actually just went through a 100 pack of DVD's backing up and clearing off the drive in the past month so I'm probably just as bad and don't realize it. I back up quite a bit, make multiple copies of all the pics. I don't leave all that much on the drive unless I need access to it all the time and even then I back it up constantly. I'm anal about that. I've got my pics backed up to several USB drives and DVD's now...
Which CDs or DVDs are you using? I've used the Verbatim (real) gold layer ones in the past, but they don't seem to be so readily available now, and the regular ones don't come up well in long term testing. I also don't know if anyone's producing a gold dual-layer disc yet, either. I've got all my photos backed up on several independent HDDs, but space gets squeezed quickly these days (so glad we don't have a 24MP Pentax yet, aside from MF, that is).

09-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #3533
Pentaxian

I shoot RAW and post processed a lot. PSD + RAW files do used a lot of space. Besides, I also do video with my NEX5n and K7, that also suck up a lot of space. I'm not saying my 2TB are fully used but it's a peace of mind to know that there are always space when you need it
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #3534
Veteran Member

I prefer Memorex DVD+R/RW's because that's what my burner prefers and very seldom have I lost one of them over the years. I have Memorex DVD's from my first burner 10 years ago that are still fine. Other brands I've lost some. Philips aren't bad either. I've also bought hundred packs of those and I've been okay. I stay the heck away from Maxell, Verbatim, and anything generic. Worst disks I ever got were the store brand ones from Office Depot. The Amazon ones are getting good reviews but I'm just not keen on trying them.
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #3535
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally actually received a 18-55WR today after my failed attempt to get one from overstock (another thread). I bought it off the Marketplace and it arrived today. Looks good, but I'll run it through some checks tonight. Just glad to actually have the lens in hand now
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #3536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just for fun, an Nikkor-H 300mmF4.5 which I converted to M42 screw mount, using the base off a junk 135/2.8. total outlay including the junk lens $80
09-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #3537
Banned

Two PK-NEX E Mount adapters to use on the new full frame Sony NEX-VG900.
09-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #3538
Veteran Member

Instagram photo of both my latest acquisition... a near-mint M 50mm f1.7 and a near-mint MX... So lovely... So precious...

09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #3539
Pentaxian

I really need to stay away from Goodwill, its such an LBA enabler.

Dropped 15 bucks on a camera bag that contained a Sears KS Super II with a minty Sears 50mm f/2 lens and an also near-minty Sears 135mm f/2.8 macro lens inside of it. It also has the manual for the 135mm and the camera itself. The 135 hads somne sort of odd goo on the lens mount which I'll have to take care of (I think there was something left ni the lens cap when it was put away).

I also found the torn-off ends to a couple film boxes with expiration dates of 12/87 and 1/88, which is when I'm guessing this camera got shelved before eventually finding its way to me.

Unfortunately the film door on the camera is broken and won't latch, but if I can get another similar camera that should be an easy fix (I hope). Other than the broken door, this camera (and the two lenses included in the kit) looks practically brand new.

I can probably resell the 135mm (its the infamous 'glow' lens) for at least what I paid for the camera, so life is good. I just need to decide if this lens or the other one I already have is the better one and sell its brother.\

EDIT: I just looked at the 135mm and its practically brand new. Whatever the goo is, its coming/came from the rim of the rear lens cap. I'm thinking maybe someone set it down in coffee or soda or something, didn't wash it, then slapped it on the lens some 25 years ago.

Last edited by Sagitta; 09-17-2012 at 06:01 PM.
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #3540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I really need to stay away from Goodwill, its such an LBA enabler.

Dropped 15 bucks on a camera bag that contained a Sears KS Super II with a minty Sears 50mm f/2 lens and an also near-minty Sears 135mm f/2.8 macro lens inside of it. It also has the manual for the 135mm and the camera itself. The 135 hads somne sort of odd goo on the lens mount which I'll have to take care of (I think there was something left ni the lens cap when it was put away).

I also found the torn-off ends to a couple film boxes with expiration dates of 12/87 and 1/88, which is when I'm guessing this camera got shelved before eventually finding its way to me.

Unfortunately the film door on the camera is broken and won't latch, but if I can get another similar camera that should be an easy fix (I hope). Other than the broken door, this camera (and the two lenses included in the kit) looks practically brand new.

I can probably resell the 135mm (its the infamous 'glow' lens) for at least what I paid for the camera, so life is good. I just need to decide if this lens or the other one I already have is the better one and sell its brother.
Our Goodwill doesn't do cameras in the store. Nice finds.