Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #3796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the USPS website I was to receive Friday, a used K-x purchased here through the marketplace to be my back-up camera. Unfortunately my postal delivery person does not knock very well, neither me nor my wife heard him knock or try the doorbell. Hence, I must wait until tomorrow and go to the Post Office to pick up the camera. I dislike waiting!

12-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #3797
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I must wait until tomorrow and go to the Post Office to pick up the camera. I dislike waiting!
I formally submit my request for your weather not to be overcast and wet tomorrow. I usually have to wait days before I can use stuff once I get because the weather seems to work against me.
12-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #3798

Yesterday I bought a demo K5 from a reputable dealer, with two year garantee. I was thinking about upgrading my K10d to a K5ii(s), but 500 euros is a good price here in the Netherlands - about half the price of a new K5ii.
Would make it easier too, to buy an eventual new dream camera in a year or two.

I installed the newest firmware and so far I am very happy with the handling and IQ.
12-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I usually have to wait days before I can use stuff once I get because the weather seems to work against me.
Ain't that the truth!

12-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #3800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I formally submit my request for your weather not to be overcast and wet tomorrow.

Thank you for your formal request regarding the weather. However, the weatherman failed to comply, it was rainy, foggy, and very overcast all day. Besides, I had to work and that interfered with my personal photographic attempts. On the positive side, I have taken a few indoors photos and the camera is working fine. It feels nice, having a back-up.
12-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #3801
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I formally submit my request for your weather not to be overcast and wet tomorrow. I usually have to wait days before I can use stuff once I get because the weather seems to work against me.
Embrace the weather!

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Thank you for your formal request regarding the weather. However, the weatherman failed to comply, it was rainy, foggy, and very overcast all day. Besides, I had to work and that interfered with my personal photographic attempts. On the positive side, I have taken a few indoors photos and the camera is working fine. It feels nice, having a back-up.
Hey, the weather has been abysmal out here in the Great Pacific Northwet. Lots of snow in the Cascade mountains. Snoqualmie pass was closed off and on Sunday, and they are expecting several feet of the fluffy white stuff Monday evening.

Here is a shot I snagged as I rolled over Snoqualmie Saturday afternoon.

I tried to beat the weather over the pass, and try to avoid having to chain up. But just after popping this picture off I rounded the bend and one of those large electronic signs proclaimed that all heavy trucks must chain up. If I had left Post Falls, ID an hour earlier I would have made it too.

*sigh*

Oh, and here are a couple of my latest acquisitions:

A Zeikos 52mm CPL

And a Pentax AF-540FGZ flash

I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the flash and how it will benefit my creative side.
12-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #3802
Veteran Member

Looks a bit slimy Racer X - while it is beautiful country out there your pic makes me kind of glad I only run PA and OH - just the thought of chaining up makes my body hurt. Nice to see the good following distance also.

Enjoy the flash. It has opened up so many possibilities for me being able to work indoors in the winter and also to help overcome any deep shadows or even harsh direct light when I shoot my flowers in the spring/summer/fall.

12-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #3803
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Looks a bit slimy Racer X - while it is beautiful country out there your pic makes me kind of glad I only run PA and OH - just the thought of chaining up makes my body hurt. Nice to see the good following distance also.
The long exposure makes it look messier than it really was. The temps were in the low to mid 20's, but the salt the DOT puts down had most of what was on the road pretty mushy.

In all the years I have been driving last Saturday marks only the 3rd or 4th time I have ever had to chain up to continue my journey. And only the 2nd time I had to "throw iron" on a big truck.

Actually, putting chains on an 18 wheeler is not as difficult as one might think. The trailer chains are the cable type, and only the outside tire on one axle is required in Washington. Those were the easiest ones.

The drive tires on the tractor weren't so bad either, but they are considerably heavier. I spread out the chains on each outside drive tire, tuck the leading edge under each one, roll the rig forward a bit, then pull the ends together, hook them up on the inside and then the outside. Then there are 5 cams around the outside chain and a tool that rotates them to tighten the chains up very tight. Then I roll a few hundred feet along the shoulder, stop, and if any are loose I undo the cams, take up another link or two, rest the cams and off I go.

What bites is the distance from where I chained up on the East side of the summit to where I stopped to pull the chains off on the West side was only about 10 miles. A lot of work for such a short journey.

Or maybe I should look at it like this: I only had to run 10 miles with the chains on at 15 mph or so, and once I was able to remove them I was able to cruise along at a decent 45 or so.

And when you are getting paid by the mile, the faster you can go (safely proceeding, of course) the more money you can earn.

And since I am semi-retired, I don't get too worked up over the ups and downs of the job.

I don't have to do it, I do it because it would drive me nuts to be sitting at home all day, every day.
12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #3804
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Embrace the weather!

Hey, the weather has been abysmal out here in the Great Pacific Northwet. Lots of snow in the Cascade mountains. Snoqualmie pass was closed off and on Sunday, and they are expecting several feet of the fluffy white stuff Monday evening.

Here is a shot I snagged as I rolled over Snoqualmie Saturday afternoon.

I tried to beat the weather over the pass, and try to avoid having to chain up. But just after popping this picture off I rounded the bend and one of those large electronic signs proclaimed that all heavy trucks must chain up. If I had left Post Falls, ID an hour earlier I would have made it too.

*sigh*

Oh, and here are a couple of my latest acquisitions:

A Zeikos 52mm CPL

And a Pentax AF-540FGZ flash

I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the flash and how it will benefit my creative side.
Nice flash, you can be really creative with it -congratulations.
12-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #3805
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice flash, you can be really creative with it -congratulations.
Thank you Doc!
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #3806
Veteran Member

Time for some steady shots.

I've been using a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod for about a year now - a great unit that I've been very happy with. But, I've been doing a lot of experimentation with some pretty long glass, and have found that any kind of subtle vibration on the mount can really affect the images. I use a tripod for 90% of my shooting, and have been passively looking for a heavier unit.

Found a great deal on a used Manfrotto 475B tripod - wow this thing is built like a tank! This will be my primary outdoors tripod while I will still use the 055 for indoor work and when stomping around in the flower beds.

Big brother and little brother:

Close-up of the upper end with my Gimbal head installed:

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:13 AM.
12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #3807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I've been using a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod for about a year now - a great unit that I've been very happy with. But, I've been doing a lot of experimentation with some pretty long glass, and have found that any kind of subtle vibration on the mount can really affect the images. I use a tripod for 90% of my shooting, and have been passively looking for a heavier unit.

Found a great deal on a used Manfrotto 475B tripod - wow this thing is built like a tank! This will be my primary outdoors tripod while I will still use the 055 for indoor work and when stomping around in the flower beds.

Wow..I've been thinking about that tripod too!!!!
Very nice!
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #3808
Veteran Member

Very nice Stan. What is the upper limit on that new tripods height? I find most are too short for me That one looks like it might just be tall enough and it sure looks sturdy!
12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #3809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice 'pod, Stan!
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #3810
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Stormtech, that thing looks like it is seven feet tall! And indeed, looks to be built very well.

Sweet.