Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3811
Pentaxian

Yesterday I received my 645 150mm f/3.5 A lens from another forum member. It's in great condition and I can't wait to have an opportunity to get out and shoot with it.

12-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #3812
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very nice Stan. What is the upper limit on that new tripods height?
I've got an older Bogen version of the same tripod and with the legs all the way extended and the center column as well it can get over 7' tall.
12-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #3813
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow..I've been thinking about that tripod too!!!!
Very nice!
Keep an eye on KEH - they have them every once in a while. I was lucky and caught it when they had free shipping last week (normally $39 shipping!). I paid roughly what my 055 cost new. It is like it has never been used - all the clamps/controls are stiff like when new - just has a couple very minor scratches on it.

Very nice Stan. What is the upper limit on that new tripods height? I find most are too short for me That one looks like it might just be tall enough and it sure looks sturdy!
Funny you ask.....I first set it up before attaching my gimbal head - with the center column down, it measures 64" - with the center geared column raised, it measures 74". I am 6'1" tall, and need a tall tripod, and don't like to raise the center column at all for the risk of more vibration and movement. Once I have my head installed, I will actually have to have the first sections of the legs about half way retracted to be at the proper height for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nice 'pod, Stan!
Thanks - since I don't do any hiking/walking/traveling, the weight of it is not an issue (weighs 9.5lbs)

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Stormtech, that thing looks like it is seven feet tall! And indeed, looks to be built very well.

Sweet.
It is tall - the pics are not distorted either - I shot them straight on at eye level with the viewfinder.
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #3814
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Keep an eye on KEH - they have them every once in a while. I was lucky and caught it when they had free shipping last week (normally $39 shipping!). I paid roughly what my 055 cost new. It is like it has never been used - all the clamps/controls are stiff like when new - just has a couple very minor scratches on it.

Funny you ask.....I first set it up before attaching my gimbal head - with the center column down, it measures 64" - with the center geared column raised, it measures 74". I am 6'1" tall, and need a tall tripod, and don't like to raise the center column at all for the risk of more vibration and movement. Once I have my head installed, I will actually have to have the first sections of the legs about half way retracted to be at the proper height for me.

Thanks - since I don't do any hiking/walking/traveling, the weight of it is not an issue (weighs 9.5lbs)

It is tall - the pics are not distorted either - I shot them straight on at eye level with the viewfinder.
Thanks Stan. That sounds great. I look forward to your reviewing it as you get to use it. There was a thread a year+ ago about vibration and transmission with tripods. The take-away for me is that the material that dampens vibration best is wood, plain old ash. The problem is that they tend to be heavy and cumbersome to use. Yours looks very sturdy but if its like the other Manfrottos I've seen and used it is probably very easy to use.

12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3815
Veteran Member

Thanks Stan. That sounds great. I look forward to your reviewing it as you get to use it. There was a thread a year+ ago about vibration and transmission with tripods. The take-away for me is that the material that dampens vibration best is wood, plain old ash. The problem is that they tend to be heavy and cumbersome to use. Yours looks very sturdy but if its like the other Manfrottos I've seen and used it is probably very easy to use.
You are correct about the wood tripods. I actually did look at this one......

Ries Tripods - Tripods & Monopods

Tripods RIES JUNIOR WOOD J-600 12-59" WITH BAG TRIPOD LEGS - KEH.com
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #3816
Veteran Member

You are correct about the wood tripods. I actually did look at this one......

Ries Tripods - Tripods & Monopods

Tripods RIES JUNIOR WOOD J-600 12-59" WITH BAG TRIPOD LEGS - KEH.com
They are also very expensive for a nice one.
12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nice 'pod, Stan!
Yep, vibration is history.

12-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #3818
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

'New' K10D to complement my NEX-3. The NEX for landscapes, travel, using my MF Pentax primes, or whenever I do not want to lug a heavy camera, and the K10D for flash work or when size isn't important.

The K10D high ISO is worse than the K7, but because I'm not having to bump the ISO to above 1/250 get around the K7's shutter-blur problem, which I definitely experienced with mine, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #3819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ihasa, I think you'll like the K10. At low ISO the colour quality is among the best. 10 mp seems low these days, but it's plenty for anything I do, prints up to 20x30 inches are more than satisfactory even when looking closely.
12-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3820
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote

'New' K10D to complement my NEX-3. The NEX for landscapes, travel, using my MF Pentax primes, or whenever I do not want to lug a heavy camera, and the K10D for flash work or when size isn't important.

The K10D high ISO is worse than the K7, but because I'm not having to bump the ISO to above 1/250 get around the K7's shutter-blur problem, which I definitely experienced with mine, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Nice. My last DSLR acquisition was the K10D, when they were first released. Even though I am still learning it, it has proven to be a very good camera.

Congratulations to you!
12-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #3821
Veteran Member

My Sigma 20mm-40mm 2.8 turned up today, just in time for xmas
Goddam its big and heavy tho. Should be a good to shoot tomorrows Christmas activities however
12-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #3822
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
My Sigma 20mm-40mm 2.8 turned up today, just in time for xmas
Goddam its big and heavy tho
It could be worse for lens' size and weight. Take a glance at this one…

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Pentax

The 82mm front filter almost says it all
12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #3823
Veteran Member

Wife bought me the Pentax Limited Case #2 for Christmas. We open 1 present each Christmas Eve here.
12-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #3824
Veteran Member

Wife bought me the Pentax Limited Case #2 for Christmas. We open 1 present each Christmas Eve here.
Nice! They all look so cozy in there.......
12-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #3825
Veteran Member

Nice! They all look so cozy in there.......
They are. I also got a LowePro lens changing bag and a Manfrotto Super Clamp.