Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #3961
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What to buy next?

I am trying to decide which to buy this month--31mm limited lens or camera K-5 (or one of the upgraded versions). I already have the 77 mm and 43 mm limited lens. The 77 mm is probably the best lens I have ever owned. I have cameras K-10,K-20, and K-7. I also have several manual focus lenses, and appreciate any kind of focussing aids available on newer cameras. Any advice will be appreciated.

01-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #3962
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am trying to decide which to buy this month--31mm limited lens or camera K-5 (or one of the upgraded versions). I already have the 77 mm and 43 mm limited lens. The 77 mm is probably the best lens I have ever owned. I have cameras K-10,K-20, and K-7. I also have several manual focus lenses, and appreciate any kind of focussing aids available on newer cameras. Any advice will be appreciated.
When I asked something similar a couple years ago someone said to me something to the effect of "Cameras come and go, but lenses are forever."

I'd wait a week or so either way and see what, if anything, CP+ brings on the camera side of the equation. The K-5 is a BIG step up in many ways from what you're shooting but the ergonomics are the same as your K-7. But the 31 is a FF lens that will be useful for nearly anything K-mount that comes down the road.
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #3963

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Spent the better part of January in bed with pneumonia, that's a dangerous place to be - that is stuck in bed with a computer and a credit card. Anyway if the pneumonia wasn't bad enough LBA struck again and I picked this up from another forum member:

02-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #3964

K-30 with 18-135 WR has landed!

B

02-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #3965
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
When I asked something similar a couple years ago someone said to me something to the effect of "Cameras come and go, but lenses are forever."

I'd wait a week or so either way and see what, if anything, CP+ brings on the camera side of the equation. The K-5 is a BIG step up in many ways from what you're shooting but the ergonomics are the same as your K-7. But the 31 is a FF lens that will be useful for nearly anything K-mount that comes down the road.
OK, ordered Sigma 30mm f 1.4 at $289 (free freight) special price from B&H last night, sort of an LBA vaccination against buying FA 31 mm limited at four times the price! That leaves the PentaxK-5IIs as an option, so I am not sure the vaccination completely cured the disease, but then cameras are not lenses, are they? Maybe if I give up one of my other cameras to another member? K-10, K-20, & K-5 if anyone is taking notes.
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #3966
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well here are my new (to me - I've taken the spares from the deal kit buyers) Q's, my new wrist straps and my original pocket camera which I've owned since I-don't-even-remember-when. FWIW the rings block the card door on the Q's. I think I will use those two on something else and get string straps.

And here is my black Q with my new K>Q converter. This Q will serve as a converter mule while the White serves as the 01 / 02 kit camera.

And pBase sucks for stripping sharpness and detail. These were clear and sharp and popped off the screen in PSE.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2013 at 02:09 PM.
02-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #3967
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
An iDowell iBox UPS 550 VA for my iMac, it just keeps it all safe and sound and works straight out of the box, the iMac even recognises it's there.

iDowell iBox UPS 550 VA - Apple Store (UK)

02-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #3968
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well here are my new (to me - I've taken the spares from the deal kit buyers) Q's, my new wrist straps and my original pocket camera which I've owned since I-don't-even-remember-when. FWIW the rings block the card door on the Q's. I think I will use those two on something else and get string straps.

The wrist strap on the white one . . . . is that something you made, or is it something that can be purchased somewhere?
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #3969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just bought this off the Forum, and it is half way through a film. Pentax H1a which is the American name of the S1a. This is basically an SV model with the self timer and 1/1000 speed marking removed. The light meter is still working well. This was the last model before the Spotmatics arrived with built in light meters. However, these early models seem a little more refined than the later models, and the light meter is convenient and easily removed. It is linked to the speed dial when in place, so is integrated.
02-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #3970
Veteran Member

Pentax Ltd Lens case.
02-03-2013, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #3971
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Mir45B 45mm/f3.5 Sovjet lens for use on my tilt adapter. First results: much less contrast than the Arsat 80mm, sharpness towards the edges not really to die for but on a tilt adapter that should not be a biggie anyway. Built like a tank, all-metal. For €110 including shipping from Kraznojarsk this is a steal!

Voorbeeld:

02-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #3972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The wrist strap on the white one . . . . is that something you made, or is it something that can be purchased somewhere?
I bought it from Lance Camera Straps. Lance has a variety of wrist and neck straps in many colors, all made-to-order.

Take note, though - I've already taken them off the Q's because the rings obstruct the card doors. I'll use them on film SLR's that have posts instead and get string straps from Gordy's
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #3973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Spent the better part of January in bed with pneumonia, that's a dangerous place to be - that is stuck in bed with a computer and a credit card. Anyway if the pneumonia wasn't bad enough LBA struck again and I picked this up from another forum member:

Hope you are up and out of bed by now. My January cold is lingering into February. Guess bed would be a good place to use macro lens,.You can take photos of your feet or the bed clothes or something!
02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3974
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Well, I bought the Sigma 30mm for special $289 no freight price. Should be arriving this week, sort of vaccination against the 31 mm ltd, meaning I can use the Sig 30 for a while before buying the 31 mm, then sell the Sig 30 since I got such good price on it.

I also just bought a used but very low click K20 with Katzeye focussing screen and generic brand battery grip, which is already shipped. This can become the main platform for my Helios 44K-4 lens and about 5 other old manual focus Pentax and Sears lenses. I am also going to try the FA limited lens and some F and DA lenses on manual focus with the Katzeye to see if I can refine the focussing over the usual automatic focus results. I guess I will be putting the old K-20 up for sale,or maybe the K-10, but the K-10 was my first DSLR, and the size and grip of the K-10 is very pleasing to my big hands. I have a K-7 which gives great results and IQ but I dislike it every time I pick it up because it does not fit well in my hands . . . maybe if I got a battery grip for it, the feel would improve for me. Seems like there is always something to buy.
02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #3975
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bought it from Lance Camera Straps. Lance has a variety of wrist and neck straps in many colors, all made-to-order.

Take note, though - I've already taken them off the Q's because the rings obstruct the card doors. I'll use them on film SLR's that have posts instead and get string straps from Gordy's
Thank you mono. I have spliced and made up thimble ends on rope like that many times (actually much larger rope, used for material lifting on utility truck booms, but the technique is the same), so I thought it might be a cinch to make one up. But the prices look reasonable.

That type of rope is usually soft and flexible, and I would think it should make a nice, comfortable wrist strap.