Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #4096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Like the K-01, it was just too attractive at $298.
I know - mine makes me think I should have gotten a K-5 but I just can't use the small viewfinders any more. This buys me a few more years.

02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #4097
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I know - mine makes me think I should have gotten a K-5 but I just can't use the small viewfinders any more. This buys me a few more years.
For me, it depends. If I'm wearing contacts for distance, I can't use the mirrorless screens up close. If I am not wearing the contacts, and wearing glasses the screens are easier than the prisms.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-18-2013 at 08:22 PM.
02-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #4098
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My deal is a bit different - advanced glaucoma has taken a significant amount of my visual acuity, especially peripheral vision in my right eye and they gave me lined tri-focals. Lots of after-market parts in my eyes have stopped the progress of the disease for now - but ....

It is shocking how much of your visual field is used in a VF, especially by the indicators in the margins. An MX or LX with the FB-1 / FC-1 (that's a freaking car windshield OVF) still works, the FD-1 works left-eye - even a KX works if I "look around" on the focusing screen, but the K10D screen just doesn't work any more. So I haven't bought another dSLR since.

Finding a way is fun, though.
02-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #4099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I'm, pardon the pun, toying with one of these for the same reasons. I'd be interested in how you get on with it.
I have only just acquired it, and like what I see. The telephoto experiments have to wait until my adapters arrive. I ordered generic versions for the M42 screw mount and the K mount. They have adapters for all sorts of other brands as well.
Somewhere on Flicker I saw the same scene shot with the same lens on a K5 and a Q. The animal subject, was blown up to the same size for comparison. There was no comparison. I may be wrong, but here is my understanding:
It seems while the Q may be 1/4 the sensor size, it has 12 mega pixels on it. The K5 would have been using a quarter of it's 16mp sensor allocation on the subject (4mp?) due to the different crop factor. Then that 4mp crop had to be enlarged four times to fill the same frame, which reduces it to one mp resolution. Right or wrong, that is how the results looked.

02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #4100
Pentaxian

Just picked up an MZ-S and 645N from a local camera shop. Currently looking for a AF-540FGZ and a good mid-range zoom (eyeing the Tamron 28-75; owned it in Canon mount and enjoyed it). Also would LOVE a 43mm Limited........I'll keep on dreaming until I can afford this stuff!
02-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #4101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Just picked up an MZ-S and 645N from a local camera shop.
Thats quite the camera shop!!
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #4102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got two items yesterday:

1. AF 360 FGZ Flash. Finally came in! I can't wait to start learning and playing with flash photography.

2. DA 16-45 f4

I wanted something that can go wide, can do product shots, and can work in a studio setting. I was initially thinking of just sucking it up and dropping a bunch of bills on some sweet glass (DA 15, DA 35 Macro, an f2.8 zoom) but I realized that would seriously hamper my summer plans. I eventually settled on the DA 16-45 as a budget compromise. Contacted a local seller on Craigslist, talked him down a bit, we did the exchange at a local Starbucks.

Took a bunch of test shots last night and this morning. So far so good.

02-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #4103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Most recent are a number of reversing rings I ordered from China.
49, 52, 55, 58mm. Also got a step-up and step-down ring for a project.

And the one I am really stoked about.... have a Pentax 10-17 on the way that I got on Ebay. Got is for way cheaper than I have ever seen one go for... $220 :-D
There is something wrong with it though.. looks like a screw came loose or something letting the hood tilt to the side. Should be an easy enough fix though.

Absolutely cannot wait for the fisheye to arrive. Have been wanting one for a few years now but was not really able to afford or willing to pay new price or even normal used price.
10-17 arrived today :-D

Looks like I am going to have to dissasemble it to fix the hood/catywompus issue that is amking the focus tight at close focus. Not sure how it happened.. no scratches or digs or anything.. not even on the cap.

Edit: after looking at it closer, I found the small ding where the impact happened.

After taking it apart I found that the part of the hood that is held onto the lens by 3 screws was bent pretty badly at one of the holes and bent at a second hole. The worst was had almost pulled the screw all the way through.

So I went to work straightening it out, put it back together, and it works like new.

Sooo happy to finally have a copy of this lens. :-D

Last edited by cyclone3d; 02-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.
02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #4104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've been seriously thinking of getting one myself. Going to have to stop by the sporting goods store and check them out the next time I get to town.
After a little thought the camo Leaf jacket would be cool as well.
02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #4105
Veteran Member

Just ordered a new Sekonic L-358. So excited.
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #4106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I'm, pardon the pun, toying with one of these for the same reasons. I'd be interested in how you get on with it.

Those buildings are 10 miles away as the crow flies. Pentax Q with adapted M 200mm (1100 effective) at about f5.6. This was on a tripod. Hand held were possible if you braced the camera against a fixture. I did basic enhancement which darkened it a bit. The M 135 seemed (I need to confirm) to have a little more purple fringing in high magnification than the 200mm. I think I must be wrong on that as this is my first test.
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #4107

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
OK I bit, I bought a Q! It's coming from B&H so now I just have to be patient and wait.
02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #4108

This year has been "busy" so far:

FA* 28-70/2.8
Q and K-Q adapter
5D with 50mm/1.4 lens (to explore the FF world and test some K-mount lenses)
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #4109
Veteran Member

My latest acquisition was a $28.80 refund on that 49.50 shipping charge for the ME with the 50mm 1.4 heading up from Florida (it SHOULD arrive tomorrow along with a 200mm I bought elsewhere... tomorrow will be a fun day).

That means 1.4 should cost me all of about $33 and some change including the shipping. Thats not even counting the ME, winder, case, and pair of old zooms that are included. I'm going to take an eBay break for a while, because I think I used up my good luck for now.
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #4110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
My latest acquisition was a $28.80 refund on that 49.50 shipping charge for the ME with the 50mm 1.4 heading up from Florida (it SHOULD arrive tomorrow along with a 200mm I bought elsewhere... tomorrow will be a fun day).

That means 1.4 should cost me all of about $33 and some change including the shipping. Thats not even counting the ME, winder, case, and pair of old zooms that are included. I'm going to take an eBay break for a while, because I think I used up my good luck for now.
Nice news. Glad they were good to you about the shipping.