Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeff, is that the sigma I mentioned in the macro thread? If so, happy it went your way

03-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #527
Inactive Account

From Left to right, the first two are these:

S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

The one on the right is in fact a manual focus Sigma 50 f2.8 and may be the one you spoke of. It was certainly inexpensive for a 50 1:1 macro lens regardless of brand.

Now thanks to you guys and your Tamron 90s, (see attached) I decided I had not given mine enough of a chance. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it didn't come with the adapter though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 30D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 30D  Photo 
03-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #528
Veteran Member

That looks absolutely MINT! Great purchase. Have fun with it!
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #529
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
That looks absolutely MINT! Great purchase. Have fun with it!
I'll be happy if it works. According to the seller (and the photos he posted), the front rim is bent (which I can fix) and the little plastic window over the distance scale is broken (which I can fix if I choose to). Otherwise, he says it is clean and works as it should. Somewhere around here, I have a hood for it so I'll definitely want to fix the front rim. I figure worse case, I can sell the adapter for better than half what I paid and sell the lens to recover the rest.

03-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #530
Veteran Member

Should be pretty easy to fix both problems. As for the hood, it is pretty essential on this lens. The front element is almost completely exposed, and it does flair up very easily. It makes me appreciate true SMC Pentax coating. I'm using the hood from my Super Tak 135. Same 49 thread. Yours is different I see in the later version.

Edit: Front element is way more recessed on yours. May not be so bad as mine.
03-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #531
Inactive Account

I'll see when it actually arrives (and will update the photos then). I don't remember my other one looking quite like this but I'm still certain it's the 1:2 90mm, needing an adapter to go 1:1 (so if you see one, cheap, shoot me a heads up).

I didn't use to like using hoods and went for the UV filters instead but as of late, trash the UV filters and use the hoods. It may be sacrilegious and completely foolish but I haven't put the Cap on my FA*24 yet this month.

03-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #532

Photos: Albums
Nobody ever told me

Late 2010 I bought my first dslr which is the Pentax K-x. Nobody ever told me that shortly after, I would be bitten with lba leading into cba. My latest find.

03-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #533
Veteran Member

Jeff lol. I was scared to say it then, but I'll say it now. The Leica I used in February HAS NO CAP. I've been just carrying that lens around casually all month long. It has no UV filter either as it's some proprietary crap size. And no hood either. As for general use of UV filters - UNLESS you're using a super expensive multicoated filter, your photos are suffering. Alas. I have ONE cheap UV filter which came with the Tamron. I do use it as protection from the curious hands of my son. He learned to move chairs and climb them you know... Nothing is safe now.

I'll keep an eye out on the 01F. I got mine from BH Used store (amazing right?) Something around $35 bucks.

And to (try to) keep this thread on topic, here's my most recent acquisition:

(not my picture)
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #534
Inactive Account

You have completely different reasons for protection. The only other creature around here is The Hound. Beyond an initial sniff, he stays uninterested.

Thanks for looking..

Do those flashes do wireless or are you using triggers?

03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #535
Veteran Member

It worka on camera and off camera in optical slave mode. I'm looking into a radio trigger next.
03-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #536
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
those flashes are great as slaves. although I'm kinda divided between the new Yongnuo and the new Cactus triggers. although the Cactus seems to offer more, I'm worried of not being able to use Sigma flashes on it as primary.
03-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #537
Veteran Member

I have the same Adaptall 90mm f/2.5. The window over the distance scale is a weak point; mine is cracked and many others seem to be broken. I purchased the matching hood separately and the bayonet connection doesn't inspire confidence. Optically it is a great lens (with a hood, or it tends to flare easily) and the focusing feel is very good but the build quality of the base and the filter area could certainly be better.
03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #538
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Voightlander 180mm, NOS

I stumbled on an unused Voightlander 180mm + lens hood someone was selling who explained he bought it because he knew the VL line for Pentax would be discontinued, and so he wanted to have it in case he decided he might use it. But he also owns a Leica M8, which he came to rely on more. Consequently, I am now a proud owner of a new (old stock) beauty of a lens.

Like all the Voightlanders I have, this one too surprises me for its relative compactness (only the VL 58mm is somewhat hefty, though one might argue for F1.4 it isn't at all). In the picture where I am holding it, about 2/5 of it is lens hood; without that it is amazing just how small Cosina managed to create a 180mm lens. Of course, it's built like a tank, all metal, very solid feeling to it.

Something about the VL 180mm that's different from its brothers is instead of a cheap lens cap, this one comes with a lovely metal cap both for the hood, and a screw-in type for the lens itself. The lens also focuses "backwards" in the sense that infinity focus is a hard stop at full contraction.

It's a bit dreary here today, so I just took a test shot to see how the "close focus" feature works. I think it shows the dreamy look that it seems easy to get Voightlander to render:

03-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Hm . . . . Let's see.
Wow. At first I thought, oh yeah nice a 645N, but then I saw the "RAW" button.... hmmmm
03-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice buy, Les! "Dreaminess" is a nice descriptor and the example is a good one. I had one once but didn't really appreciate it's character. I think it's so important that the photographer develop a feel--a creative vision--for a lens. I think you do and you've gotten off to a good start.