Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #5671
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tamron 150-600

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rodin5 Quote
I could never afford any long primes and Tamron,in its infinite wisdom decided not to make a Pentax mount for the 150-600 mm zoom. So I picked up a slightly used Nikon D 300 and a Tamron 150-600 mm for a reasonable price for wildlife and birds to go along with my K3 and Ltd's for landscapes. Just picked up the lens so will be testing it this weekend.
Joe
Please post some samples with the 150-600 after your outing. I have been looking for the Nikon version in US & Canada but nobody has it in stock, and I heard they have campatibility issue with the early Canon version.

06-18-2014, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5672
Veteran Member

My assistant helping me assemble my latest acquisition yesterday. I actually took a vacation day to receive my K3
Attached Images

06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #5673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
My assistant helping me assemble my latest acquisition yesterday. I actually took a vacation day to receive my K3

It is exciting - vacation day well used.
06-18-2014, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #5674
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A minty/used DA 15 Limited; very much "new-to-me"... gonna have some fun with this one! Salut, J

06-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #5675
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A minty/used DA 15 Limited; very much "new-to-me"... gonna have some fun with this one! Salut, J
Same here, Jean. Despite having the 12-24mm, I just had to give in when the right opportunity for the right minty copy was suddenly staring me in the face on a recent night in the PF gear listings. Makes quite an impression sitting there in your hand for the first time, doesn't it?

BTW, regarding camera bags (and our correspondence about the LP Passport Sling), I decided to order the new Mountainsmith Andy Mann Signature Descent sling bag I'd had my eye on when Overstock.com put a generous Memorial Day Sale savings coupon into my emailbox. Highly recommended to all Pentaxians -- I haven't handled anything else with such a combination of sturdy construction, flexible volume at light weight, and real style. Andy's personal video on this model is what really sold me: Check it out at the MS website or YouTube, and see how slick it works. Cheers! -- Fred
06-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #5676
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Same here, Jean. Despite having the 12-24mm, I just had to give in when the right opportunity for the right minty copy was suddenly staring me in the face on a recent night in the PF gear listings. Makes quite an impression sitting there in your hand for the first time, doesn't it?

BTW, regarding camera bags (and our correspondence about the LP Passport Sling), I decided to order the new Mountainsmith Andy Mann Signature Descent sling bag I'd had my eye on when Overstock.com put a generous Memorial Day Sale savings coupon into my emailbox. Highly recommended to all Pentaxians -- I haven't handled anything else with such a combination of sturdy construction, flexible volume at light weight, and real style. Andy's personal video on this model is what really sold me: Check it out at the MS website or YouTube, and see how slick it works. Cheers! -- Fred
Yes and thanks Fred ... the DA 15 Ltd is "new" prime UWA experience for me. I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm f/3.5 with its huge hood; but the AF, the nifty built-in hood, the much, much smaller size plus extra 2mm of the 15 are quite nice ... plus it's supported by LR4 that I use. If the DA 15 Ltd was FF compatible, it would be almost perfect.

Glad that you found a bag and I am using mine now (go figure) ... will check out your recommendation. Salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-19-2014 at 01:18 AM.
06-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #5677
Pentaxian

A thrift store acquisition that I had last weekend ... all working:

- a Nikon F-801s (somewhat rough cosmetics) with an AF Nikkor 35-105/3.5-4.5 plus a Nikon SB-27 Speedlight for 10€ (see upside-down "01" written on lens) ... this thing weighs a ton with all 8 AA batteries installed !!!
- a Nikon fit AF Sigma DL 75-300/4-5.6 with hood in "bad" cosmetic shape since all the rubber has become a tacky "goop trap"; worse than fly paper ... (I really do not like Sigma at times) ... only 5€, written on lens, too, but hard to see ...

Will trade this stuff away at my next swap for some Pentax or other gear that I can find ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.
06-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #5678
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2 New "models" by Tonner...

These are Antoinette mannequins from like 2009. They're meant to be displayed with no face paint or painted up as you like. I've been wanting these particular Spice and Honey mannequins for a long time now actually but they are very hard to find now. I have two I bought back then. I have an alabaster one that I painted up as a classic New Orleans style vampire and a bright redhead with a more normal skin color that I painted up into your basic freckled redhead.

I wanted these two as well but they were under $40 when they were issued and the 16" doll customizers just loved them. They bought them all up very quickly. I never managed to grab these two. I actually got these in return for some work I did for someone on their website. They're due on Monday. I plan on painting them too but not right away. I honestly don't have the time or energy right now. So other than me taking a quick peek to make sure they are intact they will stay in their boxes for a while.

http://www.tonnerdoll.com/sites/default/files/images-general/T9FMMN04.jpg

Spice is lovely, just absolutely great coloring to work with. I just love her dark skin with that cinnamon hair. She looks very nice done up in metals and earth tones from what I've seen so that's how I am going to do mine. I've been totally coveting her so I am very happy to finally have one.

This is one someone customized in similar colors...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/b9/9c/32/b99c32477b9433e8d2d896fb6dec7069.jpg

http://i.pinger.pl/pgr64/87cfc5650000fc6c4b06f113/mannequin_honey.jpg

Honey is a bit more problematic with that odd mauvish hair. But I'm very intrigued by her possibilities and probably will do something pretty radical in terms of bright jewel tones or something. I'll probably add streaks into her hair and or do a hair piece. Something very exotic, like an orchid theme. But it will take some thought. She's not going to be an easy girl to customize and it will probably take me a while when I get going.

Here's one that someone did of her. I like this coloring a lot:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/baris-repaints/4232802644/in/photolist-deTNom-...-ctxbkj-9geYSA

Antoinette is a very versatile doll. You can really change her look a lot with a different paint job. Both of them will be fantastic subjects though when they are done. I'll definitely have a lot of fun painting, dressing, and posing this pair. They were well worth the work I did to acquire them.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-20-2014 at 10:51 PM.
06-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #5679
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super Takumar 35/3.5 lens (like new!)
35-70 f/2.8 (throughout!) PKA zoom lens
Both good deals from terrific PF members...

Chris
06-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #5680
Veteran Member

A new in box Sony NEX 6, and separately, a mint Minolta MD Tele Rokkor-X 135/3.5. Excellent combination (to complement my Pentax cameras, of course)!
Attached Images

06-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #5681
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rodin5 Quote
... Tamron, in its infinite wisdom decided not to make a Pentax mount for the 150-600 mm zoom. So I picked up a slightly used Nikon D 300 and a Tamron 150-600 mm...
Me, too - except Canon 40D instead of D300, and was thinking more of airshows than birds, though that could change.
06-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #5682

Mamiya Sekor 60mm f2.8 Macro Lens.
Been after one of these for yonks.
The results are excellent on K-10D
OH
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
06-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #5683
Veteran Member

@Oldhand... Is that an older lens for 35mm film, or a medium format lens? I don't recognize it, though it looks like the first with respect to proportion. If it is the latter, how about the quick course on Mamiya to Pentax-K adapters? I've had it in mind to look into the 645 series lenses from Mamiya in particular.
06-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #5684

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
@Oldhand... Is that an older lens for 35mm film, or a medium format lens? I don't recognize it, though it looks like the first with respect to proportion. If it is the latter, how about the quick course on Mamiya to Pentax-K adapters? I've had it in mind to look into the 645 series lenses from Mamiya in particular.
It is an older M42 lens from Tomioka for Mamiya.
As shown it is in its 1:1 configuration, but will shrink considerably when focused back to infinity.
There are plenty of excellent Mamiya 645 lenses out there that can be adapted to Pentax with a Mamiya 645 to Pentax K adapter.
This is an old 35mm lens however.
Adapters for Mamiya 645 to Pentax are like these:
Mamiya 645 Lens TO Pentax K PK K 5 K X K R K 7 Adapter NEW Digital Camera Lens | eBay
I do have some other M42 Mamiyas as well as 645 Mamiya lenses.
They are truly excellent.
OH
06-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #5685
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
It is an older M42 lens from Tomioka for Mamiya.
As shown it is in its 1:1 configuration, but will shrink considerably when focused back to infinity.
There are plenty of excellent Mamiya 645 lenses out there that can be adapted to Pentax with a Mamiya 645 to Pentax K adapter.
This is an old 35mm lens however.
Adapters for Mamiya 645 to Pentax are like these:
Mamiya 645 Lens TO Pentax K PK K 5 K X K R K 7 Adapter NEW Digital Camera Lens | eBay
I do have some other M42 Mamiyas as well as 645 Mamiya lenses.
They are truly excellent.
OH
Thanks! Do you have some top of the wish list recommendations for practical Mamiya 645 acquisitions? I haven't approached researching this in a systematic way yet. Obvious candidates are those nominal focal lengths which fill gaps among the usual APS-C and FF DSLR options, or give telephoto reach in prime lenses at a bargain basement price. With your new acquisition, I expect you saved a few bucks compared to the conventional Sigma 70mm and Tamron 60mm macro*? options for K-mount. I don't have insight here into any subjective "rendering" advantages to the Mamiya.

Correction [7•23•14]: Following some research, I find that the Tamron was not manufactured in K-mount (just for Nikon, Canon, and Minolta AF/Sony). No wonder I hadn't seen it mentioned here!

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.