Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #5821
Forum Member

My latest, latest

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Oh my god, oh my god!!! I will be in trouble. Over the weekend I was just lurking around the E-Bay auctions and decided to fool around on a LX with winder and zoom lens thinking that since, normally, something like that goes into the $300-500's; there was no way for me to win; so I started to bid on it just a few minutes before the auction was to finish, thinking that someone was going to up-bid me like it always happens when I really want something. All of the sudden right before my eyes the auction ended, and I was the winner

For the total of $216.00. I had to pay-up for fooling around like a dumb kid. I hope it is in working conditions (that would be a steal). I always wanted one, anyway. The thing is...Just a few hours before, I had bought what was suppose to be my "latest" the Chinon CE-4s I posted about (see my previous my latest post). Now when my wife sees a package containing a camera, and later, another package containing another camera...uh..oh!!

Attached Images

08-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #5822
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty neat catch!
08-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #5823
Pentaxian

NCD

It's in mint condition, less than 3K clicks and was an offer I couldn't refuse...
08-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #5824
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert_1 Quote
Oh my god, oh my god!!! I will be in trouble. Over the weekend I was just lurking around the E-Bay auctions and decided to fool around on a LX with winder and zoom lens thinking that since, normally, something like that goes into the $300-500's; there was no way for me to win; so I started to bid on it just a few minutes before the auction was to finish, thinking that someone was going to up-bid me like it always happens when I really want something. All of the sudden right before my eyes the auction ended, and I was the winner

For the total of $216.00. I had to pay-up for fooling around like a dumb kid. I hope it is in working conditions (that would be a steal). I always wanted one, anyway. The thing is...Just a few hours before, I had bought what was suppose to be my "latest" the Chinon CE-4s I posted about (see my previous my latest post). Now when my wife sees a package containing a camera, and later, another package containing another camera...uh..oh!!
Well, I'm sure someone around here might be willing to help you out with that buyer's remorse there.

(That one actually looks like it's in really nice shape, not that I personally mind seeing a little brassing.)

08-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #5825
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Don't look back Robert.

Once the furor dies down just sit in the dark, pull the film advance leaver and trip that LX shutter a few times. The mechanical beauty of it all will convince you you made a good choice. I've almost done the same thing several times but never won the auction. OK - never bought two cameras at once but as I recall the winning bids on the LX were always a lot higher than yours.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-21-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
08-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #5826
Forum Member

Well, too good to be true, I just posted a help in the General Technical Troubleshooting. I received the Pentax LX camera today, and the shutter is stuck in the cocked position, consequently, the rapid lever will not advance. The little red dot indicating that the shutter is cocked is on. but when I press the shutter it does not do anything (it depresses but it does not trips the shutter). If anyone knows of something I can try to do to un-stuck it, I'll try it. Anyway tomorrow I will give a call to Eric Hendrickson; if this is something too expensive to repair, I would ask for a refund through e-bay. I already notified the seller of my intentions.
08-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #5827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, too good to be true, I just posted a help in the General Technical Troubleshooting. I received the Pentax LX camera today, and the shutter is stuck in the cocked position, consequently, the rapid lever will not advance. The little red dot indicating that the shutter is cocked is on. but when I press the shutter it does not do anything (it depresses but it does not trips the shutter). If anyone knows of something I can try to do to un-stuck it, I'll try it. Anyway tomorrow I will give a call to Eric Hendrickson; if this is something too expensive to repair, I would ask for a refund through e-bay. I already notified the seller of my intentions.
Is the shutter open? Is the mirror raised? Are the cells good? Is the shutter dial in the "auto" position? If the answer to all these questions is yes, try depressing the little button on the shutter dial and moving the dial off the auto position. On of my LXs has this affliction which is "cured" by the above routine. The shutter closes, the mirror drops, and all is "well." Other than that oddity it works well, but forget auto exposure. I need to send mine to Eric; from what I can gather the ailment may or may not be fixable. Good luck!

08-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #5828
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Is the shutter open? Is the mirror raised? Are the cells good? Is the shutter dial in the "auto" position? If the answer to all these questions is yes, try depressing the little button on the shutter dial and moving the dial off the auto position. On of my LXs has this affliction which is "cured" by the above routine. The shutter closes, the mirror drops, and all is "well." Other than that oddity it works well, but forget auto exposure. I need to send mine to Eric; from what I can gather the ailment may or may not be fixable. Good luck!
@ grhazelton: Thanks for your input. The shutter is closed, the mirror is not raised. The cell (3V) was bad, but I changed it for two 1.5 v and the metering system is working fine. I tried the shutter dial on the auto position and on every other shutter speed including bulb, but not to avail. I will call Eric tomorrow.
08-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #5829
Veteran Member

@ grhazelton: Thanks for your input. The shutter is closed, the mirror is not raised. The cell (3V) was bad, but I changed it for two 1.5 v and the metering system is working fine. I tried the shutter dial on the auto position and on every other shutter speed including bulb, but not to avail. I will call Eric tomorrow.
Very sorry you had the complication: I can empathize, for sure. I'd be curious to know what the going rate for the complete CLA + seals (which I understand are fairly labor intensive to replace in the LX) might run these days. Good luck.
08-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #5830
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry that didn't do the job. I also would be curious what Eric tells you and the cost of a CLA.
08-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #5831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson is the best Pentax repairman and his price cannot be beat.
However LX repair/overhaul is complex and more expensive than other models.

Unfortunately the Pentax LX is a camera one seldom gets into on the cheap.

Chris
08-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #5832
Veteran Member

K-50 w/ 18-55 WR
A50/1.7
Homemade sling strap
08-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #5833
Veteran Member

ME-60 blank screen

08-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #5834
Veteran Member

Built myself a Canon 24-55mm f/4-5.6 OS II as a cheap wide angle to use on my 5D. OS and AF are intact. Also found an Ee-S screen locally, and discovered that my Nikon FE screen fits the body.
08-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #5835
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Built myself a Canon 24-55mm f/4-5.6 OS II as a cheap wide angle to use on my 5D. OS and AF are intact. Also found an Ee-S screen locally, and discovered that my Nikon FE screen fits the body.
BUILT!!!!! You are way beyond my capabilities, for sure.