Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Hey im 32 and I love teh gamez! FTW WOOT!

I'm 30 this summer. :'(

04-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #662
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
This is just a silly post.
nah, that's alright. I was a mad gamer back in the days. it's a different kind of addiction compared to CBA/LBA. certainly cheaper but equally enjoyable. too bad I don't enjoy much of today's games as I did many moons ago. otherwise it would had been a real treat. the younger generation nowadays are so lucky of what they are playing right now.

off-topic: I'm about to install COD Black OPS to see what's that all about.
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #663
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video games?
I've been playing Shift II and just beat dragon Age II
Been playing Fallout III and New Vegas on and off.
Also got Deus Ex to run on win 7
I'm a gamer since Intellivision and NES.
Now I build computers to play them.
04-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #664
Veteran Member

Hey im 32 and I love teh gamez! FTW WOOT!

Duh, Winning.

Anyone that games here play L4D or L4D2? That is basically all I play, unmatched co-op gaming!

I guess that leads to my latest acquisition. An Alienware M11x (11.6" screen, core2duo, 4gb ram with 1gb dedicated graphics card) for gaming on the go...and, uh photo editing? haha.

04-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #665
Veteran Member

My Pentacon 4 300 arrived today. After an initial cleanup it's like new

04-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Duh, Winning.

Anyone that games here play L4D or L4D2? That is basically all I play, unmatched co-op gaming!

I guess that leads to my latest acquisition. An Alienware M11x (11.6" screen, core2duo, 4gb ram with 1gb dedicated graphics card) for gaming on the go...and, uh photo editing? haha.
deadwolf has a pretty mad computer specs there. 3.7 GHZ and 6950 (whoah). although I have mad love for laptops due to flexibility, a desktop system is just plain cheaper and more powerful than a laptop. besides, it has been 8-9 years since I last bought one. it would be a nice one for a change. not to mention hooking it up on an HDTV screen as your display (which would be awesome).
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
deadwolf has a pretty mad computer specs there. 3.7 GHZ and 6950 (whoah). although I have mad love for laptops due to flexibility, a desktop system is just plain cheaper and more powerful than a laptop. besides, it has been 8-9 years since I last bought one. it would be a nice one for a change. not to mention hooking it up on an HDTV screen as your display (which would be awesome).
That i5-2500K can be OC'd to like 4.7ghz on air without difficulty, too. \o/

I mostly play racing sims, though (iRacing and Live for Speed).

04-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That i5-2500K can be OC'd to like 4.7ghz on air without difficulty, too. \o/

I mostly play racing sims, though (iRacing and Live for Speed).
I don't think 4.7 GHZ is of any real use as of the moment, although can be useful in the future. 3.5 GHZ is too fast enough with today's software. with respect to complex graphics gaming, having a a fast GPU processor core is much more necessary as an upgrade, (graphics memory is useful but not as far as efficient with less powered GPU core). but anyways, what is amazing though is that Intel seems to resolve any need for costly cooling system for their cpu. the catch however is that as long as the fans don't do a bit more extra effort, consume more electricity and silent, that would be fine. although I would think that liquid coolants would be much better.
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #669
Veteran Member

I don't think 4.7 GHZ is of any real use as of the moment, although can be useful in the future. 3.5 GHZ is too fast enough with today's software. with respect to complex graphics gaming, having a a fast GPU processor core is much more necessary as an upgrade, (graphics memory is useful but not as far as efficient with less powered GPU core). but anyways, what is amazing though is that Intel seems to resolve any need for costly cooling system for their cpu. the catch however is that as long as the fans don't do a bit more extra effort, consume more electricity and silent, that would be fine. although I would think that liquid coolants would be much better.
Depends on the game, really. Racing sims are far more CPU-bound than GPU.
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #670
Veteran Member

Nice, Kheldor.

And I'm with Eddie on the pinball.

Otherwise, wake me up when I can play Crimson Skies again.

Got some music for it:

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.
04-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #671
Pentaxian

Does scoring a FA-50 1.4 with a 9+ rating from B&H count for $270 shipped count? Lowest price even against anything Amazon was selling used. I have my fingers crossed for some luck this weekend at a local pawn shop and a local thrift store for some good finds. Now I just have to get rid of some things to help pay for this sweet deal.
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #672
Site Supporter

off-topic: I'm about to install COD Black OPS to see what's that all about.
It is fantastic...watch out

To keep this somewhat OT, I just bought a new game crusher of a PC

AMD 6 core 3.7Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Radeon 6850, 2 x 750GB 7200rpm 64MB cache, 24" 1080p 120hz LED monitor

Amazing how far technology has come since my last pc 4-5 years ago (single core 3Ghz, 2 GB ram, etc)

So far aside from games I cant seem to use more than 20% of my processors/RAM LOL
04-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #673
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mr.b.snowden Quote
Does scoring a FA-50 1.4 with a 9+ rating from B&H count for $270 shipped count? Lowest price even against anything Amazon was selling used. I have my fingers crossed for some luck this weekend at a local pawn shop and a local thrift store for some good finds. Now I just have to get rid of some things to help pay for this sweet deal.
I love my Fa 50....
One of those I will never part with.
Good price too.......I paid $240 a few years ago.
Do look into a hood though, it helps with contrast.
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #674
Veteran Member

Back when I bought the original Left 4 Dead in 2008 I played massively low-specced using hdmi out to a monitor on an HP laptop that supposedly had dedicated video (it didn't, liars, biggest piece of crap computer we've ever owned!). I played it on that until Left 4 Dead 2 came out - it simply couldn't handle it.

I promptly went out and got a refurb HP desktop with an AMD quad core and 8gb ram - even though it is an HP it runs pretty well. Added an ATI Radeon 512mb card (I think the 4570) and a new power supply, and it runs l4d2 full spec no problem at 1080p (my 23 inch monitor resolution). Cost less than $450 and still runs great.

That M11x was kind of a whim purchase, the new prices get pretty steep but I managed to get a refurb with a 20% coupon for under $500 and figured it would be nice to have!
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #675
Veteran Member

It is fantastic...watch out

To keep this somewhat OT, I just bought a new game crusher of a PC

AMD 6 core 3.7Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Radeon 6850, 2 x 750GB 7200rpm 64MB cache, 24" 1080p 120hz LED monitor

Amazing how far technology has come since my last pc 4-5 years ago (single core 3Ghz, 2 GB ram, etc)

So far aside from games I cant seem to use more than 20% of my processors/RAM LOL
true. having said that, there isn't really much of a difference in performance with regards to an old 3 GHZ single processor to a new (dual/triple/quad core) one. same speed honestly speaking. the difference however lies with regards to efficiency of distributing/using that power. it is also a way to cut costs and save money for both the manufacturer and consumer. processors nowadays are small in size but extremely powerful and doesn't generate as much heat as that of older cpus. which is less energy consumption, less maintenance, and longevity.

ram memory size, speed and latency plays a part as to execution of the program or needed buffer for softwares or anything that is running on the background. although 8GB would be more than enough to get you through all of your pp work. also provided that your computer is free of any errors, malwares and other garbages that hamper your computer's performance by a large degree.