Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #7306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
My new to me S-M-C Takumar Macro 100mm f/4 from Japan in excellent condition.
Wonderful lens. Enjoy!

12-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #7307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!
12-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #7308
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I really enjoy my copy too, and have no interest in getting the most recent version.
12-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #7309
Pentaxian

Samsung 50 inch TV and Bose sound bar. My wife and I are enjoying our new setup very much.

12-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #7310
Veteran Member

Nubert nuWave 85. 85 cm tall floor standing speakers (though they could do with something to raise them up perhaps 20 cm). Used to be top of the line from Nubert (apart from bigger versions), though there are now clearly better ones available. Still good speakers though Bought them from someone who replaced them with my initial first choice, the Nubert nuPro A300 active monitors. I'm happy with my choice though, they are great, but meant as monitors when sitting on the computer, close to the speakers. I'm much more classic in the use case...

I'm a bit disappointed with fit and finish, I mean it's well put together, but apart from the slightly fancy front the rest is just a black foil on MDF, and my previous entry level Nubert nuBox 380 looked just as expensive. Also a shame I couldn't get the orange variant. A direct competitor in terms of sound should have been the Wharfedale Pacific Evo/Evo2, and those look like a million bucks, with fancy curves, gorgeous veneer finish, high gloss coating (though they did charge a few hundred just for the coating). It's a shame that no one nearby was selling them, at the very least I would have loved to listen to them. It would have cost me quite a bit more though...

Part of the package was also the Nubert ABL-85, a specially designed box to match the speakers and extend the frequency respond curve down to 26 Hz at -3db. It does make a difference, normally I would need significantly bigger speakers to be flat all the way. Plus it has dials to modify the sound (boost bass, reduce treble... depending on the source the nuWave 85 can sound harsh on the upper end), and they work very well, better than those usually found on an amp would.

As for amp I'm using a harman/kardon AVR 5500.

Main reason is it supports the ABL-85 without requiring to have a preamp and power amp (the ABL needs to sit between preamp and power amp). There aren't many that do. Otherwise I'd be more interested in a NAD. The hk is clearly a home theater and not audiophile amp, as good as it sounds. There's no way to easily bypass all kids of sound optimizations... at least I think so. It's very complicated, and I don't even know if it is trying to improve the sound or not. I would love to try my vintage NAD with these speakers, I imagine the sound would be more enjoyable, with the sweet, warm sound that amp created (the speakers are very neutral, monitor-like).

I should tidy up and take a photo of my setup these days... now that it is pretty much complete. The only things missing now is a NAS and a media player so it doesn't have to be hooked up to the TV anymore. Perhaps the nvidia shield tv, if it drops further in price.

Next stop has to be to improve the sound of the room though. Surprisingly it's not too bad, but I think there is still a lot of potential in the speakers. Amazing what a difference different rooms can make... the exact same setup, in the previous owners' room, was very, very bass heavy. Had to take the speakers far away from the wall to get decent sound at all. Now in my flat that isn't an issue at all, if anything I could do with more bass.
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #7311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
1950 Philco tube radio, for listening to Mets games:

Chris
Pretty Cool.
12-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #7312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1950 Philco tube radio, for listening to Mets games:

Chris

12-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #7313
Forum Member

As well as photography, I'm a big fan of Masterchef so here is my Christmas present from my sister. (now I can create culinary masterpieces and photograph them with my new Oly O-MD 10

12-29-2015, 04:20 AM   #7314
Veteran Member

I received a 100 dollar McDonald's Gift card on top of a free Big Mac a week for a whole year.
12-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #7315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monocular Converter K for $2 at a 'Closing Out' final day of estate sale, on the way home last night. All the cameras and lenses had been scooped up by a known eBay hawker, but he missed the one rarity.

I am finished unless an F*300 with tripod foot drops out of the sky.
12-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #7316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I received a 100 dollar McDonald's Gift card on top of a free Big Mac a week for a whole year.
Better watch your LDL levels!
Cheers!
12-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #7317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
And at the end of the year you will receive a coronary stenting to reverse the damage.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Monocular Converter K for $2 at a 'Closing Out' final day of estate sale, on the way home last night. All the cameras and lenses had been scooped up by a known eBay hawker, but he missed the one rarity.
Neat.

As a result of Christmas I have three new Limited primes and a lovely flash to play with. I had of course taken a collection of brick wall test shots as soon as they came in their boxes (in case they had arrived DOA or badly flawed and had to be returned), but the first one I pointed at a worthy subject and pushed the button showed me I'd got something really special.

As a counterpoint I will soon have the Spotmatic from Hell, which I am going to ram a film through on Sunny 16 just to see how bad a camera can be and still work, if it does, and will be my teardown-and-clean practice camera if it doesn't. I need to find a Grotty Lens From Hell to go with it that I don't mind losing if I can't put it together again, but other than that I think I'm done for now.
12-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #7318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Monocular Converter K
I had to google that--very cool!
12-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #7319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I had to google that--very cool!
i think so too. Tomorrow I'm going outside with my tripod, K400 and my new toy. I'll post let some photos.
01-01-2016, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7320
Pentaxian

Arrived yesterday to close out 2015 in a nice way ...

- a like-new K2 with case and a very nice M 35/2.8 (with its hard case, not shown) - this K2 is about the most pristine Pentax film SRL that I have now ...
- a nice M 100/2.8 with caps and hood ...
- a not-working-yet Agfa 200B flash and a very "retro" camera bag (dark tan/British Racing green/ Bordeaux red highlights) - both not shown ...

Overall a quite good deal for this kit and I will be sending the K2 to Eric H. soon ...