Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #8791
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The MS/Apple debate interests me. I liked how the first time I used a recent Apple (about 2010, not 1987) the first thing it asked was 'what is your wireless password'. With a Bill Box it would be a day's work of installations to get that far.

I think the difference is that the MS guys are software geeks who think everyone is interested in the computer. The Apple guys know most of their customers want a product to enable them to do something else, and do not really care about how the computer does it. The only thing I do not like on the small Apple devices (iPad and similar) is that they do not seem to give me a way to organise a logical structure for where I store data files. After a long time you run out of meaningful file names that you will recognise and find quickly, especially in work applications. The iPad also annoys me because it is really clumsy to get large files off, such as video that you took using it, if you want it somewhere else. I dislike cloud services - you do not know where copies of your data might be going and who might be using them for purposes you did not intend.

12-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #8792
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I dislike cloud services - you do not know where copies of your data might be going and who might be using them for purposes you did not intend.
One of the reasons I'm increasingly interested in moving to Linux is the lack of built-in tracking and intelligence gathering. Not that I have much worth tracking or gathering, and I know that online activities - search engine, shopping etc. get tracked by the providers regardless of the device... But I like the idea of running an OS that does mainly what I want it to and not what it wants...
12-10-2016, 04:40 AM   #8793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When Windows 7 is no longer supported I will probably switch to Linux.
I will also keep a Windows XP system as long as I have my Pakon scanner.

Chris
12-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #8794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Win 10 is pretty good and the best version so far. Win 8 was a disaster. Win 10 finds most devices and installs the drivers. WiFi connections come up in setup. NBD for me.

12-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #8795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I use a mac for work, and have found it logical enough to keep using it for everything else (it's a laptop). Compared to my cheapy win 7 laptop it's faster and has less issues despite having no dvd drive and having slightly less features in some programs like word. Wolfieboy is due to get a new computer soonm he is eyeing a ssd one with win 10 installed, so I'll be interested in seeing how he goes. But he has never been a mac person. I always thought i was the same, but so far the smooth integration between adobe and mac has made me reconsider.

That said, I'll stick to my samsung phone. The lack of a back button on the iPhones drive me crazy
I was Microsoft from MS-DOS 1.1 way back in the dark ages. Like Wolfieboy, I was a really not Mac person. I am now really not a Microsoft person. If your (non) operating system kills your machine every week so that you cannot work on Monday except to put your computer back together, you can get a bit ticked off.

It was a combination of the nightmare that Microsoft introduced with Win 10, the biggest combination of arrogance and incompetence I ever met, and the high blood pressure induced every Monday with the updates that sent me to the dark side. Although working hard with computers since a very long time ago, I had never, ever, had to use RegEdit until Windows 10 Pro Build 1511. Then I had to go into that mess and turn off specific updates. KB3185614 downloaded (3 hours) then tried to update (2 hours) every day for 10 days in a row, and failed every time. I had to go into the registry and turn it off.

I don't have a big income. At 52 years old my employer went bankrupt and 50+ year old cost accountants aren't in high demand, particularly when they have worked in one industry for 11 years. People don't understand that a well rounded cost accountant can go from a newspaper chain to a coal mine as I did in 1981 and it's all deja vu all over again. I went to the computer side and survived and the house is paid for, but I drive a 2002 truck. On vacation I pull a 1981 trailer. I have owned exactly six Pentax bodies including the one I bought used in 1961.

I did not need M$ to kill a two year old laptop. My son phoned last night and said that the ASUS was working so well for him under Unix (with no hardware changes) he was going to install a virtual machine to run Windows on it instead of the Toshiba he is using now.

Best wishes to Wolfieboy. I sincerely hope that he has one of the good combinations of hardware and Win 10. There are millions of them; more than the millions of us who were badly bitten.
12-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #8796
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was Microsoft from MS-DOS 1.1 way back in the dark ages. Like Wolfieboy, I was a really not Mac person. I am now really not a Microsoft person. If your (non) operating system kills your machine every week so that you cannot work on Monday except to put your computer back together, you can get a bit ticked off.

It was a combination of the nightmare that Microsoft introduced with Win 10, the biggest combination of arrogance and incompetence I ever met, and the high blood pressure induced every Monday with the updates that sent me to the dark side. Although working hard with computers since a very long time ago, I had never, ever, had to use RegEdit until Windows 10 Pro Build 1511. Then I had to go into that mess and turn off specific updates. KB3185614 downloaded (3 hours) then tried to update (2 hours) every day for 10 days in a row, and failed every time. I had to go into the registry and turn it off.

I don't have a big income. At 52 years old my employer went bankrupt and 50+ year old cost accountants aren't in high demand, particularly when they have worked in one industry for 11 years. People don't understand that a well rounded cost accountant can go from a newspaper chain to a coal mine as I did in 1981 and it's all deja vu all over again. I went to the computer side and survived and the house is paid for, but I drive a 2002 truck. On vacation I pull a 1981 trailer. I have owned exactly six Pentax bodies including the one I bought used in 1961.

I did not need M$ to kill a two year old laptop. My son phoned last night and said that the ASUS was working so well for him under Unix (with no hardware changes) he was going to install a virtual machine to run Windows on it instead of the Toshiba he is using now.

Best wishes to Wolfieboy. I sincerely hope that he has one of the good combinations of hardware and Win 10. There are millions of them; more than the millions of us who were badly bitten.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'll pass them on.

12-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #8797
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I find annoying about Win 10 is that the updates seem to result in changes in how the machine interface works. For example, one update meant that click and drag email in outlook to folders suddenly stopped. Now I need Ctrl+Shift+V and a new window comes up to allow shifted exactly the highlighted emails to one particular folder. Irritating when you have about 40-50 different categories of email to organise. Anyone know how to get click+drag back again?

12-11-2016, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #8798
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Gulp!
I said before that "It has proved so far... that my trusty heavy duty Benbo tripod of some 30 years aint really man enough and even the Manfrotto monopod could also be suspect. Now in each case, this may be down to the Manfrotto quick release system"

Well I'm pleased to report that it was the Manfrotto quick release mechanism, that was introducing the extra wee bit of unwanted movement.

But fair credit to Manfrotto, they do say that the safety payload is 2.5kg... not the all up weight of about 4.5kg that I'm asking it to do with this lens and camera combo set up.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-11-2016 at 04:35 PM.
12-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #8799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But fair credit to Manfrotto, they do say that the safety payload is 2.5kg... not the all up weight of about 4.5 that I'm asking it to do with this lens and camera combo set up.
When all else fails RTFM*

*Read The Fine Manual -- you all have dirty minds!
12-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #8800
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
When all else failsTFM*

*Read The Fine Manual -- you all have dirty minds!
I did that's how I found the problem, albeit maybe after the event.
12-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #8801
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm pleased to report that it was the Manfrotto quick release mechanism, that was introducing the extra wee bit of unwanted movement.
Ah, good news! Something that can be relatively easily sorted. Any ideas what you might go for as a replacement? Or can you adjust / fix that existing mechanism?
12-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #8802
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ah, good news! Something that can be relatively easily sorted. Any ideas what you might go for as a replacement? Or can you adjust / fix that existing mechanism?
Aye for the monopod just remove the whole head, bolt lens direct to pod, similar idea for tripod bolt down straight to ball mount without quick release.

Purchase camo cushion once I've sorted one out, couldn't believe how many different flavours there are of something so simple.
12-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #8803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye for the monopod just remove the whole head, bolt lens direct to pod, similar idea for tripod bolt down straight to ball mount without quick release.

Purchase camo cushion once I've sorted one out, couldn't believe how many different flavours there are of something so simple.
Which QR are you using? I have a Manfrotto ball head with the hex plate quick release (0168) that I have recently replaced with the LensMaster gimbal head. They are in that foreign country just South of you. I am very pleased with it. Solid, easy to use, heavy as stink ... but surprisingly easy on the wallet. Works well with my M 400/5.6 even with the AFA 1.7x on the back.

12-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #8804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which QR are you using? I have a Manfrotto ball head with the hex plate quick release (0168) that I have recently replaced with the LensMaster gimbal head. They are in that foreign country just South of you. I am very pleased with it. Solid, easy to use, heavy as stink ... but surprisingly easy on the wallet. Works well with my M 400/5.6 even with the AFA 1.7x on the back.

I have a Lensmaster gimbal Head too. Solid as a rock. As you stated it is easy on the wallet.
12-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #8805
Pentaxian

Well, Pentax still haven't made that DA 35mm f/1.4 that they should have brought out years ago so I finally bought a Fujifilm one to use on my mirrorless camera instead. Fuji know which primes make sense on APS-C, something that Pentax seem to have forgotten.

I haven't tested it much yet but it seems extremely sharp in the centre even wide open, but with some corner softness. I'm looking forward to finally have a good and really fast standard prime, and AF on the Fuji after over a year and a half using it only with adapted lenses.

It seems to be a Fuji day as I also stopped to buy a half litre of Ilford fixer on my way home and found that the shop I buy it from still has some three-packs of Superia 400 36 exposures (they're only made in 24s these days). These don't expire until spring 2018 so I bought a pack. Amazingly, I've never tried this very common film. If I like it I'll need to go back for some freezer stock before it's all gone.