Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2016, 07:12 AM - 7 Likes   #8926
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not posted in a while here, but still grabbing up some good gear left and right ... plus the thrift store has been good at times. Maybe I will do a "best of" series of posts to catch up a bit ... ha!

Anyway, I have had this over two weeks now and quite pleased thus far ... a combined X-mas and early b-day gift.

12-24-2016, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8927
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I have not posted in a while here, but still grabbing up some good gear left and right ... plus the thrift store has been good at times. Maybe I will do a "best of" series of posts to catch up a bit ... ha!

Anyway, I have had this over two weeks now and quite pleased thus far ... a combined X-mas and early b-day gift.
Congratulations! Glad you are back - I can't take up the slack forever.
12-24-2016, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #8928
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
'm sorry, I don't understand. My point is that I rarely, if ever, use my lenses below F2. When I swapped the F50 for the DA40 LTD (before the K-1 was a thing), I did it because I preferred the wider FOV and realized I didn't use F1.7. Now that I have a K-1 I'm finding I like 50 again, but I'm still not seeing myself using F1.7 or F1.4/1.2.
I think very few of us use our fast lenses wide open on a regular basis. The DOF is just too small and not very practical but it's very nice to have when you need it. One of the big selling points back in the days of film and manual focus was that the bright viewfinder of those fast 50's made it a lot easier to focus. Even cheap SLR kits came with f1.8 or f2 glass. When every lens in your bag is MF, the benefits of fast glass becomes very apparent. Film and developing wasn't cheap so nailing every shot was important. Anything more than one roll a week was out of the budget for me at times and sometimes, color film would sit around for months before I could get it developed.
12-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #8929
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
When every lens in your bag is MF
Some of us are still that way...

12-24-2016, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #8930
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

went whole hog

took a chance and just bought a used HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW off ebay from a long time lurker to the forum and now a new member.

combination Christmas present and birthday present

It was purchased for his dad but didn't work out for him.

expected delivery early next week, it came a few minutes ago.

boy is it big and heavy

here is a quick hand held photo of (while sitting in my arm chair) of a trophy I got in Iowa a number of years ago around my 40th birthday

have been looking at this lens for a while and trying to talk myself into (and out of ) buying one.

my thanks to the seller he did right by me.

now I need to locate a manual for it to determine all of the capabilities.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-24-2016 at 12:31 PM.
12-24-2016, 11:30 AM - 4 Likes   #8931
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sold my DA 560mm last week and 2 days later picked up a new/used Sigma 500 f/4.5 to replace it It's sunny today so I should test it out before we get another snow dump
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel  Photo 
12-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #8932
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
I sold my DA 560mm last week and 2 days later picked up a new/used Sigma 500 f/4.5 to replace it It's sunny today so I should test it out before we get another snow dump
what is the tiny little thing on the back end of the lens?

12-24-2016, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #8933
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

how do you find it if you set it down in the brush????
12-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #8934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
took a chance and just bought a used HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW off ebay from a long time lurker to the forum and now a new member.

combination Christmas present and birthday present

It was purchased for his dad but didn't work out for him.

expected delivery early next week, it came a few minutes ago.

boy is it big and heavy

here is a quick hand held photo of (while sitting in my arm chair) of a trophy I got in Iowa a number of years ago around my 40th birthday

have been looking at this lens for a while and trying to talk myself into (and out of ) buying one.

my thanks to the seller he did right by me.

now I need to locate a manual for it to determine all of the capabilities.

You are a lucky lucky man. I bought myself a Tamron SP90 model 52BB and a Pentax 35-70 F2.8-3.5 and am totally telling the wife they are a Christmas present from her
...........................if she finds out.

12-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #8935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a second hand Pentax Da 16-50 f2.8 which the kids can give me for Xmas

As far as I can tell the SDM is ok, so at £280, I think I did OK.

12-24-2016, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #8936
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

used the K 5 II and the HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR to take a few photos of the big guy (focal length set at 150 mm with lens cap reversed except for final photo which is set at 450 mm plus the lens cap in operating mode) and I found a link to instructions for the big guy too

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/313322-oper...ml#post3516679

Thanks to the forums
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-25-2016 at 05:52 AM.
12-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #8937
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
what is the tiny little thing on the back end of the lens?
Closer to the camera? That's where the drop in filter goes. Unless you're referring to the metal bar, in which case I believe it's where you'd attach a carry strap to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
how do you find it if you set it down in the brush????
So much easier to maneuver than the 560. Maybe it's me, but I feel like less klutzy and more coordinated with it.
12-25-2016, 05:48 AM   #8938
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
picked up a new/used Sigma
Please tell me more about your camo lenscoating, I'm struggling to get one of my older lenses done.
12-25-2016, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #8939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Please tell me more about your camo lenscoating, I'm struggling to get one of my older lenses done.
I bought 3mm camo neoprene from here: Neoprene Fabrics, peeled off the back fabric layer to expose the rubber and went nuts with the zigzag stitch on my sewing machine It probably cost me around $5 to do that lens, much cheaper than buying from lenscoat, who only uses 2mm neoprene
12-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #8940
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought 3mm camo neoprene
Thanks for your reply, I'm off to see if I can source this side of the pond.