Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Calumet 52mm X0 filter - yellow green
I hate using an SLR with colored filters for BW,
but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Chris
Many years ago you enlightened me about YG filters. I still routinely use the copies you sent me.

03-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #9362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Bone graft in socket where my #3 tooth used to be. So now I have some ground up cadaver bone in me. The theory is that my bone will use the cadaver bone as a bridge to grow and replace the bone lost to infection. This is part 2 of the implant saga. Four month hiatus in dental work now. My face used to look old and ugly, but now with the swelling it looks old, ugly AND asymmetrical.

Still waiting for the "golden years". Rupert, you are a few years older than me. Have you found them yet? I keep getting mail telling me that I can find them by becoming a member of the AARP.. (American Association of Retired People for you denizens of other countries.)
When I had that done, I asked if I could get the material from someone who was hot. Either it didn't work or the dentist loaded me up with really ugly dead people. And do not (in your best Sixth Sense voice) tell the dentist "I taste dead people."
03-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #9363
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who may care -

I posted earlier about my latest acquisition - artificial lenses due to cataract surgery (as far as I know they are "3rd party" non pentax brand lenses )

Here is latest up date:

Vision in both eyes "bouncing" around a little, uncorrected: left 20/60, with Astigmatism, right 20/30, thus I am now legal to drive in my state without corrected lenses. Prior to surgery 20/400 either eye

Further changes still expected in the future could take a while to settle down

Thanks to all for the good thoughts and support

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2017 at 11:32 AM.
03-24-2017, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #9364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some reading material . . .

The Keppler book covers Spotmatic through MX, with special attention to ES, ESll, K2 + DMD, KX, KM +K1000, all the lenses and accessories - 200 pages, then 300 more pages of information about technical aspects of how Pentax manual cameras of the era work (like how the aperture coupling works) and how to expose perfect images with them. Previous editions start with the Asahiflex and end around the Spotties.

The LX glossy brochure is neat, but a pretty routine marketing piece. I'll scan it and post jpegs to the Film Camera Forum.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
03-25-2017, 04:14 AM   #9365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a copy of Kepler's book back when my primary camera was a Spotmatic. Herb seemed to be especially fond of Pentax rather than the Canikon or the myriad of other SLR's available back then
03-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #9366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Had a copy of Kepler's book back when my primary camera was a Spotmatic. Herb seemed to be especially fond of Pentax rather than the Canikon or the myriad of other SLR's available back then
The line drawings are classic

This one has a slip of copy paper (remember onionskin?) in the KX Motor section.
03-25-2017, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #9367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(remember onionskin?) .
Do I remember onionskin? I'm beginning to think I remember papyrus scrolls.

03-26-2017, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #9368
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
seems there are three of these; one is discontinued and has a max load of 3.3 lbs, the current one has a max load of 1.7 lbs, and then there's the wee one for point and shoots...

I found the discontinued one, with the larger payload, at Adorama for $26 and ordered one...
So, my Manfrotto Pocket Support (Large) arrived... model number MP3-D02, which I believe is an older model since it shows as "Discontinued" on some websites. Maximum load is, allegedly, 1.5kg / 3.3lbs.

It's nicely-made - if anything, it feels more solidly built than the small version I have on my Q7.

I fitted it to my old K-5, which happened to have an A50 f/2 lens attached. There's also a very light-weight strap permanently attached to the camera. The weight of this combo is approx. 2lbs / 908g.

The stand works well enough, especially when set up as per the second photo below. However, with the feet at a 45 degree angle or less (see third photo below) on a smooth, low-friction surface, this camera / lens combo is just about on the practical weight limit, as the legs seem to want to flatten out and will begin to creep with only a little downward pressure on the camera. Although I haven't tested it yet, a slightly longer and/or heavier lens would be too much for this little stand, I think. On higher-friction surfaces, it's not an issue, as the rubber feet will grip to some extent - but it doesn't feel as sure-footed as the small version. Lighter cameras such as the K-S1 and K-S2 might be a little better suited.

Overall, for the price paid, it's a nice little stand - and I think I'll use it... but the small version fitted to the Q7 is a better match.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention... with the stand fitted centrally on the camera, it partially covers the battery door, so leaving it permanently attached isn't altogether convenient. It's not a huge problem, though - just use a coin to loosen the stand's screw half a turn, and rotate it out of the way for battery replacement...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2017 at 02:43 AM.
03-26-2017, 04:24 AM   #9369
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so useful up to a point, then you might as well get out the real tripod and go to work, right?
03-26-2017, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #9370
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so useful up to a point, then you might as well get out the real tripod and go to work, right?
Yep, that's about right

It's convenient for table-top use, and might be a compact alternative to a bean-bag for resting the camera on uneven surfaces (stone walls, that kind of thing). It could also be handy for positioning the camera as low to the ground as possible whilst pointing upwards at various angles (probably of more use with live view and an articulating screen). I'm sure there are plenty of other uses I haven't yet thought of. At the very least, I'll keep it in my camera bag, as it doesn't weigh much and is small enough with the legs folded in.
03-27-2017, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #9371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where I think such a stand would be useful is in the field, for an ultra-low, ground-level perspective. It will get the camera lower than either a tripod with variable leg angles or a table-top 'pod that requires a ball head. Outside, the leg tips could be slightly dug-into the ground to prevent slipping, if need be, but in most situations there would be enough gravel, grass, twigs, or just friction to prevent slippage. Flat in the camera bag for easy transport = less space even than a three-leg + ball head table-top 'pod, for which there are scores of options, including what I think is the original made by Leitz, a design perhaps 75 years old and still in production.
03-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #9372
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
. . . (remember onionskin?) ...
me too,

every time I work with a whole onion
03-27-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #9373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New prime telephoto

I just opened the box on an SMC Pentax-M 400mm f 5.6 complete with front and back caps and tripod mount. I would rate condition as about Excellent, tiny barely visible scratches and only minor "brassing" on integral hood ring. I have a lot to learn about this focal length, but my first few (hand held) shots appear promising, will post over on 300mm club. This fifth or sixth time I have received excellent merchandise at competitive prices from Japanese eBayers. It is a pleasure to see, touch, and feel the Pentax-M build quality in such a huge telephoto prime lens. Price was below $300 so it's time for me to start looking for birds and airplanes..
03-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #9374
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Do I remember onionskin? I'm beginning to think I remember papyrus scrolls.
ahh

if you remember using clay tablets, then you could claim being old -

"Cuneiform is a system of writing first developed by the ancient Sumerians of Mesopotamia c. 3500-3000 BCE. . . . "

Cuneiform - Ancient History Encyclopedia

"When the Egyptians began to write, about 3000 BC, they wrote from the beginning in ink, on papyrus . . . "

What is Papyrus? - Ancient Egypt - Ancient Papyrus - Quatr.us

03-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #9375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ My Sister-in-Law is one of a small number of people fluent reading Akkadian. That's old! I guess someone has to do it.

She also wrote "The Campaigns of Sargon ll, King of Assyria, 721 - 705 B.C.". That's not quite so old. I guess someone has to do that, too.