Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #9406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paul, is that your original KX body, your very first Pentax?

Chris

04-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #9407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's why I buy all this old Pentax stuff, have it fixed by Brian and Eric and use it as much as I can.
I like this attitude - gives a philanthropic basis to my GAS.
04-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #9408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Paul, is that your original KX body, your very first Pentax?

Chris
Chris: No - my original KX is in my avatar and is the Forum photo in the Camera Review.

That's a split-image focusing screen body I bought as a donor, but then I just gave it a CLA and keep it at my office with a K55/1.8 for any unplanned lunchtime rambles. It seemed appropriate to mount the dcshooter lens for the photo.

My retired MESuper is nearly that dinged and brassy though.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-04-2017 at 06:44 AM.
04-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #9409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I recently picked up two ProMaster lenses (Tamron relabels) from MarketPlace:

70-300 Macro

28-105.

Got these at a very reasonable price, and am very surprised at the quality of the images from them. I'm really loving them!
These Promaster lens certainly seem to better than you have any right to expect at the pricing points. I picked a Promaster spectrum 19-35mm f 3.5-4.5, autofocus, complete with hood and a Promaster 77mm UV filter for less than $100. I am not really a zoom lens user, but wanted this one for the wide angle end if its focal length. I find the image quality is definitely better than the 18-55mm WR Pentax kit lens, which I still keep and use for those occasional times when I feel like shooting in the rain.

04-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #9410
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
These Promaster lens certainly seem to better than you have any right to expect at the pricing points. I picked a Promaster spectrum 19-35mm f 3.5-4.5, autofocus, complete with hood and a Promaster 77mm UV filter for less than $100. I am not really a zoom lens user, but wanted this one for the wide angle end if its focal length. I find the image quality is definitely better than the 18-55mm WR Pentax kit lens, which I still keep and use for those occasional times when I feel like shooting in the rain.
I'm quite impressed with both of the Promasters. The 70-300 Macro came with hood, end caps and the box for $65!
The 28-105 came with end caps, $45. Both are in mint condition. I saw the 70-300 on Marketplace, and checked the reviews here, & bought it. Was so pleased with it, that when I saw the second one on Marketplace, took that one also.

This was taken in poor light, thru a window, handheld with the 70-300 +1.4TC.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #9411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm quite impressed with both of the Promasters. The 70-300 Macro came with hood, end caps and the box for $65!
The 28-105 came with end caps, $45. Both are in mint condition. I saw the 70-300 on Marketplace, and checked the reviews here, & bought it. Was so pleased with it, that when I saw the second one on Marketplace, took that one also.

This was taken in poor light, thru a window, handheld with the 70-300 +1.4TC.
Are yours full frame? My lens seems generally to be full frame, although I think I can see some shading-type vignette at 18mm and wider apertures. I have not looked up the data to see if it is supposed to be officially a full-frame lens.
04-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #9412
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are yours full frame? My lens seems generally to be full frame, although I think I can see some shading-type vignette at 18mm and wider apertures. I have not looked up the data to see if it is supposed to be officially a full-frame lens.
Good question! I'm not sure, where would one find this info?

04-04-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #9413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hot water heater. Thought of going with a tankless hot water heater, but there were $3600 reasons not to.
04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #9414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good question! I'm not sure, where would one find this info?
You can put it onantfull-frame camera, look throughtdhe viewfinder, and see if you get a full view or a artial, obstructed view. Any old Pentax film camera would work.

Or you can google to find a review of your particular lens and the review will probably say if it is full frame.
04-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #9415
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can put it onantfull-frame camera, look throughtdhe viewfinder, and see if you get a full view or a artial, obstructed view. Any old Pentax film camera would work.

Or you can google to find a review of your particular lens and the review will probably say if it is full frame.
Well, I don't have any full-frame cameras, and not many reviews of these. But I'm very pleased with them on my K3!

Here's why I like them!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/343605-pro...ml#post3964717
04-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #9416
Pentaxian

This. Could not pass on the 36$ Amazon.ca deal.

I already have a better (although larger) PTTL flash, and this one is pretty limited, but there's never enough light in a studio, so it will live there I think.
04-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #9417
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just received a new accessory which might be interesting:

stedistock II

StediStock II Black w/Quick Release | Stedi-Stock

Product Info | Stedi-Stock

the idea is that this "rifle stock" style grip allows you to mount an optical system including a DSLR + lens and brace it off of your shoulder and a vertical handle out in front. The vertical handle will also mount to a monopod/tripod/bean bag (with screw mount) in two ways. one a quick connect and the other the traditional thread mount.

the type II allows you to adjust through out the length of the "barrel" and the type 1 (which is discounted at their web site only has 3 adjustment points.)

will let you guys know how I like it. especially with the K 3 [Weight w/ Battery 800 g 28.2 oz. ] and battery grip with battery [ weight ?? ] with "big guy" - HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW [ 2000 g (70.5 oz.) ] + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter [ 126g (4.4 oz) ] = 2982 + g, 6.574185 + lbs ]

just did a search and it was reviewed back in 2015

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/rifle-style-mount-stedistock-ii.html?src=all
04-04-2017, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #9418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Apple USB keyboard with number pad. The MacBook Air is missing that, and it drives me bonkers -- and it doesn't help that I am in the middle of tax season ...
04-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #9419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This. Could not pass on the 36$ Amazon.ca deal.

I already have a better (although larger) PTTL flash, and this one is pretty limited, but there's never enough light in a studio, so it will live there I think.
I am wondering what the model number is? I have a couple of old Pentax AF200T flash units that I use in all manual mode, and find quite convenient. On both K-3 and K-1, I set a user mode U1 with 1/160 sec., f 8.0, and ASA 100. It is simple to throw on one of these small flashes set initially to 1/2 power,, go to camera U1 user mode, and shoot away with generally good results. It is easy then to move power setting up or down depending upon distance from subject.
04-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #9420
Pentaxian

I am wondering what the model number is? I have a couple of old Pentax AF200T flash units that I use in all manual mode, and find quite convenient. On both K-3 and K-1, I set a user mode U1 with 1/160 sec., f 8.0, and ASA 100. It is simple to throw on one of these small flashes set initially to 1/2 power,, go to camera U1 user mode, and shoot away with generally good results. It is easy then to move power setting up or down depending upon distance from subject.
This is the fairly recent AF200FG. It's a fully PTTL flash, with built-in exposure compensation (-0,5, -1) and full power in manual mode. In other words, a pretty limited flash regarding controls. It's been superseded by the 210 recently (the latter has more manual controls, a tilting head and WR). It's still a GN20 flash with a wide diffuser, PTTL and it cost 36$...