Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #9871
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax-A 645 120mm f 4.0 macro

Just received the highly rated (9.67 on Pentax Forum) Pentax-A 645 120mm f 4.0 macro from Keh. The lens was priced at only $126 including freight, and marked as UGLY. However, as usual Keh has sent a lens that looks like new except missing front and back caps. I can't wait to try out this lens with my 645-K mount adapter on the K-1.

06-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #9872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Have you tried street photography, or attended a political rally, with this setup yet ?
The rifle stock setup I built got me a secondary look more than once, and I haven't had it out in public for 20 years or more.

Of course I used it at raceways to shoot fast moving cars.
06-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #9873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Military surplus 50 caliber ammo cans were once quite popular for cheap crush-proof dry storage of camera gear.
So no hypervigilant numbskull gets any mistaken notions about my intentions mine remains inside my car's trunk.

Chris
06-17-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #9874
Pentaxian

Today's garage saling found a ZX-5n with a SMC-F 35-80 f/4-5.6 in extremely good cosmetic condition (no wear except minor scuffing of the bottom plate).

The only problem is that the battery compartment door is missing the lock-screw and metal plate that completes the battery circuit. That I can fix because I have the leftover parts from a defunct ZX-50 and the battery compartment door seems identical. Then I'll just need to find some CR2 batteries to see if it still works....

The funny thing is that I don't need a ZX-5n (I don't shoot film) or a F 35-80 (I already have one of these nice kitlens zooms). So why did I buy it? Is this how GAS starts?

06-17-2017, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #9875
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Then I'll just need to find some CR2 batteries to see if it still works....
Just rig up some jumper cables from the car.
06-17-2017, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #9876
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just rig up some jumper cables from the car.
Great idea!

I'll just saw the battery in half to get it down to 6V. (Or should I use the full 12 and see how many frames-per-second the ZX-5n will do?)
06-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #9877
Veteran Member

I'll just saw the battery in half to get it down to 6V. (Or should I use the full 12 and see how many frames-per-second the ZX-5n will do?)
A lot of older cars ran on 6V electrics

06-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #9878
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A lot of older cars ran on 6V electrics
My Ford 8N originally had a 6 volt positive ground system.

But now it happily sports an alternator and a 12 volt battery.
06-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #9879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The funny thing is that I don't need a ZX-5n (I don't shoot film) or a F 35-80 (I already have one of these nice kitlens zooms). So why did I buy it? Is this how GAS starts?
I still have my ZX -5n. I always liked using it more that the PZ-1p. I have the battery grip for it too. A very handy combination.

What this means is that you have a latent desire to record latent images on a more permanent storage platform. I think you need to follow this desire and see what develops.
06-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #9880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I still have my ZX -5n. I always liked using it more that the PZ-1p. I have the battery grip for it too. A very handy combination.

What this means is that you have a latent desire to record latent images on a more permanent storage platform. I think you need to follow this desire and see what develops.
I also still have my ZX5n, Was it the last Pentax body with a real shutter speed dial? It was one of my favorites, I think it was nicer than the later *ist I used, although AF was better on that body.
06-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #9881
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I also still have my ZX5n, Was it the last Pentax body with a real shutter speed dial? It was one of my favorites, I think it was nicer than the later *ist I used, although AF was better on that body.
I didn't get my first autofocus lens until 2012. I'm still not convinced that they are better than manual focus lenses. It is certainly a hassle to have to set them up for each camera. After the I upgraded the firmware in my K1 to v1.41 I needed to do some AF tweaking. Still got a few lenses to check too. I don't even bother using autofocus on my DA 55-300 (not the current version). I don't think I have ever gotten it to lock on anything including a high contrast brick wall. Just easier to focus it manually. I really don't care as I got it new on sale for something like $260 or so. Optically it is pretty good.
06-18-2017, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #9882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice CZJ 135/3.5 lens (Sonnar?), $32 shipped on eBay.

There's no photo of the lens mount, and descripton
mentions both Praktica bayonet and M42 versions.

Either way is okay; I have cameras in both mounts.

Chris
06-18-2017, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #9883
dmr

Long story on this one, but it looks like I'm now officially in the color film processing business.

06-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #9884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

LOL! I see you've framed the enlargement of my photographic hobby as a series of puns. The topic lens itself to to such changes in focus. But if I get into film, will the compulsion be fixed? Or will I go crazy and get locked into a dark room?
06-18-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #9885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or will I go crazy and get locked into a dark room?
There to breath deeply the irritating, sickening, if not dangerous miasma generated by large print-processing trays.