Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #10066
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Let me know how you like it. I still have mine, it was given to me by a friend in mint condition, but the shutter broke at the start of the first role of film I put in it.
I will

From what I've read, it doesn't seem to be the most robust camera mechanically, with a number of people experience cracking or stripping of the plastic gear in the mirror mechanism. As expected with an unused camera, this one's OK for now... but I don't have high expectations for its longevity

07-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #10067
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I will

From what I've read, it doesn't seem to be the most robust camera mechanically, with a number of people experience cracking or stripping of the plastic gear in the mirror mechanism. As expected with an unused camera, this one's OK for now... but I don't have high expectations for its longevity
I do wonder if that's something that lasts better with regular use or not.
07-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #10068
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I think the lower quality plastics get brittle with age and just break, regardless of use.
07-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #10069
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the lower quality plastics get brittle with age and just break, regardless of use.
Doesn't bode too well for me, then

For what I paid, I won't be too disappointed if it has a short life. But I'd like to get through at least one roll of film

07-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #10070
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Re mice, I'm a long time user of the very basic M215 wireless mouse - have probably had about 10 or so (they do fail!) over the years, and I currently have 4-5 actually working on various machines. Quite small and comfortable (surprising as I have quite large hands), and I always try to get the Unifying receivers (but had some of those fail as well).
Can't see the point of the "all singing & dancing" mice - except possibly if you are a dedicated gamer or similar
Wow. I had a Logitech Pilot Mouse (to replace the one that came with my computer and failed within a year or so), which I used for quite a while. Best shape, ever. It was flat, but not too flat. It was comfortable. It works for both left- and right handed people. It did still have one of these heavy balls inside...

Then I can't remember what I had next... it might actually be a Microsoft Optical Mouse? Not sure. After that a more "ergonomic" shaped optical mouse, I believe I bought it because the older ones didn't have USB, and my computer did. No name. That one did fail I believe. It was replaced with a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical that I bought second hand, which to date after many years of use and then more in storage still works. It did get a bit nasty after a while (rubberized grips, and if you don't continuously use it, the rubber gets disgusting). It also had two sensors at the bottom, for, erm, more precision? Better reliability? To replace it I bought a Logitech G400, also wired, which I used for the next several years, and which is pretty good. Gaming oriented, the successor of the highly successful MX518. It has a very high refresh rate, and very high dpis (3600, vs the 400-1000 that are standard on normal mice). There are buttons to adjust the sensitivity, so if you want to do fine adjustments in Photoshop you could always reduce the sensitivity. It works on many surfaces. Thumb buttons are to far up front, but otherwise it's a good, wired mouse that's also great for daily use. At work I've got a Logitech M705 which works well, and then, for the first time wireless, the MX Master and M720 at home. Got them because I use more than one computer, and don't have the space for several mice on my desk. I can recommend both, and when bought at the right time the price is absolutely fine.

That's the past 22 years in mice, so I used most for many years, and no branded one has failed on me. We'll see how the wireless ones will do.

I have no problem with touchpads either, the one on my little tablet is a bit small, but I can touch the screen if necessary anyway, It works rather reliable. And the giant touchpad of the MacBook Pro works incredibly well. Later MBPs have even bigger touchpads, which may be too much. But the force touch is, ahem, magic. It feels like a regular touchpad where you can click by pushing down the surface, just that it actually doesn't give in. It just feels that way. And because it is not hinged, you can use the same force at any place across the touchpad. I still prefer a proper mouse, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
At one time or another on one machine or another I've used a wired mouse, a wireless mouse, a trackball and a touchpad. I've pretty much gone to a wired mouse on the desktop, because it has proven the most reliable and durable, and the little touchpad on my laptop, because it's there, and I frequently use the laptop on (gee whizz) my lap.
I'd be curious to know which mice have failed on you, and on jeallen01. The cheap ones I had didn't last too long, but the expensive ones... (initially the Dual Optical was 50 Euro, which was crazy money back then, the G400 around 35 Euro, and the M720 and MX Master were 70 and 100 Euro initially). I'm not worried of them dying anytime within the next 5-10 years.
07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #10071
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I'd be curious to know which mice have failed on you, and on jeallen01. The cheap ones I had didn't last too long, but the expensive ones... (initially the Dual Optical was 50 Euro, which was crazy money back then, the G400 around 35 Euro, and the M720 and MX Master were 70 and 100 Euro initially). I'm not worried of them dying anytime within the next 5-10 years.
Cannot remember for sure, but it failed much too soon, so I returned to the wired mouse supplied with the desktop (Dell).
07-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #10072
Veteran Member

Two lenses: Minolta MD Rokkor-X 1:1.7 f=50mm (technically I bought this two years at the used department of a camera shop in Boston, but I recently sent it out to be converted to a dumb K mount, as mount conversion and equipment servicing in general is much cheaper in China then it is in the US), and a Mitakon Creator 1:2/35mm.

One thing I did notice is that Mitakon did not implement K mount properly, and the Creator can only be used on a crippled K mount camera as it lacks the coupling slot for the open aperture metering mechanism. The second image shows my three dumb K mount lenses (from left to right): the Creator, the modded Minolta, and a modded Rollei HFT Planar 50 1.8 (originally in QBM). The Creator is clearly missing the coupling slot on the top left of the mounting plate. Will try to contact ZY Optics directly (in Chinese) to see what they have to say.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

07-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #10073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Two lenses: Minolta MD Rokkor-X 1:1.7 f=50mm (technically I bought this two years at the used department of a camera shop in Boston, but I recently sent it out to be converted to a dumb K mount, as mount conversion and equipment servicing in general is much cheaper in China then it is in the US), and a Mitakon Creator 1:2/35mm.

One thing I did notice is that Mitakon did not implement K mount properly, and the Creator can only be used on a crippled K mount camera as it lacks the coupling slot for the open aperture metering mechanism. The second image shows my three dumb K mount lenses (from left to right): the Creator, the modded Minolta, and a modded Rollei HFT Planar 50 1.8 (originally in QBM). The Creator is clearly missing the coupling slot on the top left of the mounting plate. Will try to contact ZY Optics directly (in Chinese) to see what they have to say.

Stop-down metering should still work, as it looks like there's not aperture linkage at all. No open metering, though.
07-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #10074
Veteran Member

In the 3rd Party Lenses Review section, a forum member mentioned that the mounting plate will drag the aperture simulator, and effectively confused his LX.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/zhong-yi-85mm-f2-mitakon-creator.html

Haven't tried this on my ME Super though, as I fear it might break the aperture simulator.
Stop-down metering should still work, as it looks like there's not aperture linkage at all. No open metering, though.

07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #10075
Pentaxian

In the 3rd Party Lenses Review section, a forum member mentioned that the mounting plate will drag the aperture simulator, and effectively confused his LX.

Zhong Yi 85mm f2 Mitakon Creator Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Haven't tried this on my ME Super though, as I fear it might break the aperture simulator.

Ah, so you mean it needs the slot for the aperture simulator.
07-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #10076
Veteran Member

Ah, so you mean it needs the slot for the aperture simulator.
Yep. Just like the genuine M42-K adapter, so that it can cheat the body to believe that it's wide open in order to meter stopped down. My two modded 50s have the slot for the simulator so they can meter just fine.

07-21-2017, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #10077
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the Porst arrived today:

07-22-2017, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #10078
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the Porst arrived today:

SMU returns.

Were they freshly acquired too?
07-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #10079
Pentaxian

I noticed this when the Mitakon lenses were announced. It's obviously a cost-saving decision and it means that I have no interest in the lens as it's not a proper k-mount lens.
07-22-2017, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #10080
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
SMU returns.

Were they freshly acquired too?
no - I bought them several weeks ago, but kept fresh in the fridge for just such an occasion...