Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #10126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
well

some posters may call us copy cats but by this time Saturday my wife and I will have gained a Daughter in Law ( actual ceremony scheduled to begin at 4 PM our time here in Topeka Kansas on July 29 )

Alexandra - Alex - will be married to our only child Scot
Congratulations!

07-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #10127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well

some posters may call us copy cats but by this time Saturday my wife and I will have gained a Daughter in Law ( actual ceremony scheduled to begin at 4 PM our time here in Topeka Kansas on July 29 )

So. A suit, dinner for 30, a sunny resort, and a daughter-in-law.
07-26-2017, 01:34 AM   #10128
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Congratulations!
thanks I'll pass the message onto the happy couple

---------- Post added 07-26-17 at 03:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So. A suit, dinner for 30, a sunny resort, and a daughter-in-law.
Moi, no

her father and stepmother are hosting a brunch on Sunday for 60 +, the newlyweds will go to Estes Colorado for a short honeymoon then to Omaha Nebraska ( that little suburb of Council Bluff Iowa ) where Scot works and she will be going to school

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-26-2017 at 04:06 AM.
07-26-2017, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That is a good tip. And I can buy just one for all lenses that way But I'd probably have to shoot with a tripod...
Using a graduated ND filter, or a really dense ND filter to get angel-hair water, or using a TSS lens, are among the techniques that are akin to using a view camera for landscapes, and a tripod is just as essential as an iris diaphragm. But, it is possible, not easy, to hand hold a camera and hand hold a graduated ND against the lens, especially if you rest two fingers of the hand holding the filter against the lens barrel to steady filter where you want it (thumb + forefinger hold the filter, middle + ring finger against the lens barrel). I've done it in the film era, with an LX, but it's far more satisfactory to put the camera on a tripod.

But WARNING! WARNING! Do not put the filter against the front of a tulip hood. The cutouts will allow light reflections on the camera side of the filter. IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. Only use a traditional cone-shaped hood. Intuitively a rubber hood seems best, but there's a strong tendency to press the filter too hard and partially collapse the hood. A rigid hood is easier, but tight against the lens is best, with perhaps a Flair-Buster panel to shade the filter. Using an ND filter properly is not P&S photography.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-26-2017 at 04:01 AM.
07-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #10130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Using a graduated ND filter, or a really dense ND filter to get angel-hair water, or using a TSS lens, are among the techniques that are akin to using a view camera for landscapes, and a tripod is just as essential as an iris diaphragm. But, it is possible, not easy, to hand hold a camera and hand hold a graduated ND against the lens, especially if you rest two fingers of the hand holding the filter against the lens barrel to steady filter where you want it (thumb + forefinger hold the filter, middle + ring finger against the lens barrel). I've done it in the film era, with an LX, but it's far more satisfactory to put the camera on a tripod.

But WARNING! WARNING! Do not put the filter against the front of a tulip hood. The cutouts will allow light reflections on the camera side of the filter. IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. Only use a traditional cone-shaped hood. Intuitively a rubber hood seems best, but there's a strong tendency to press the filter too hard and partially collapse the hood. A rigid hood is easier, but tight against the lens is best, with perhaps a Flair-Buster panel to shade the filter. Using an ND filter properly is not P&S photography.
Those are all helpful, thank you! I do have a tripod, but I've actually been pondering the graduated ND more for street type photography, where the sky usually ends up being washed out unless I expose for it. I can raise enough detail from the rest of the picture even from my K10D, so it might not be totally necessary... but something I want to play with. And who knows, maybe I'll get the landscape bug
07-26-2017, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #10131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well

Congratulations. Picked up a few daughter in laws along the way myself. They arrive knowing how to feed themselves and are potty trained to boot. Plus if they act up it's your son's problem and not yours. And if your lucky they produce these things called grandkids. Best invention ever! In fact they will all be staying here this weekend for our annual family picnic.
07-26-2017, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10132
Pentaxian

Here is an image captured by my "new" Takumar 35mm f/2.3.

To say the least, I am blown away. It was not cheap but any misgivings I had about buying a lens that is older than me is now gone.

You just can't do this in Photoshop...

Last edited by Wasp; 07-13-2018 at 04:38 AM.
07-27-2017, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10133
Pentaxian

a major difference between that type as well as other slings and the Op Tech USA slings is the attachment to the camera

the opt tech uses the attachment point on the top side of the camera

others use the tripod attachment point
Correct. Both Op/tech and Peak Design leave the tripod screw hole alone, although Peak Design include an Arca-swiss compatible plate that can accept their anchor links.

After using Op/Tech for many years, I've migrated towards Peak Design. The links are smaller, I like how the strap's length adjusts easily and quickly, and since I also use their Capture Clip, I've found that I rarely use the camera strap anymore.
07-27-2017, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #10134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The cameras are recent, the lenses aren't...

Still had a roll of film in it.

The A11 flash has a corroded battery in it...

07-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #10135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The cameras are recent, the lenses aren't...

Still had a roll of film in it.

The A11 flash has a corroded battery in it...

What's the difference between the P3 and the P3N?
07-28-2017, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #10136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
What's the difference between the P3 and the P3N?
The only difference is the P3N has Av mode. The P3 only had Program and Manual.
07-28-2017, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #10137
Pentaxian

As a lot:
  • Asahi K1000 w/ remote cord (or whatever you call that)
  • Sigma Mini-wide II 28mm
  • Pentax-M 40mm (pancake)
  • Promaster FTD 5700 flash
On its own:

• Kenko Pz-AF 2x teleconverter (7 element)
07-28-2017, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #10138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(Helped my daughter buy a) Mazda 3 Hatchback Touring to go with her new job back home. After 11 years living in DC and New York, this is her first car, at age 33.
07-28-2017, 08:07 AM - 3 Likes   #10139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Pentax K-5 (low S/N, but only 10.400 actuations) for € 199. In seemingly very good condition.
Since several years, I had set myself a limit to buy a used K-5 only if it drops to €200 or less. Now it happened.
07-28-2017, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #10140
Veteran Member

Tamron AF 18-200 3.5-6.3 (if) Macro

Picked it up on E-bay for 70.00 plus shipping. Picture here is my cat @48mm with the lens very close to her face. So far I am in love with this lens. My new FA* 300 is on the way. (Ouch$$$) Does anyone know a cure for LBA? Please??? (Just don't say give the wife my cards and checkbooks.)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/364020d1...cess-peeps.jpg

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 07-28-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Wrong focal length in text.