Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #10741
Veteran Member

I came across this little guy, Zone VI spotmeter, holster included. Zone system here I come! Since I can't really stand it, I'd have to measure it's area in cookies...

Attached Images

10-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #10742
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I came across this little guy, Zone VI spotmeter, holster included. Zone system here I come! Since I can't really stand it, I'd have to measure it's area in cookies...

it won't stand upside down?
10-13-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #10743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it won't stand upside down?
Hmm, haven't tried that. I'll try tonight. Might have to get some extra cookies...

By the way, "can't stand it" is not an accurate description of my feelings... That's a really cool gadget
10-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #10744
Pentaxian

Is that an Asahi light meter?

10-13-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #10745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
IIRC - For a time Pentax Spot meters could be modified with a third-party sticker to facilitate using the Zone System. They’re pretty neat.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.
10-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #10746
Veteran Member

Exactly, as monochrome said, it's a Pentax spotmeter that was modified. From my limited research into this, light sensor may have been changed and it was optimized for use with a B&W Kodak film (I think T-Max). There is also a sticker with zones on top. The sticker itself looks pretty crude - like a piece of paper with scotch tape over it.
10-13-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #10747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about standing the SMUs on edge beside it, lying down? You might need a couple of book (cookie) ends to stop the SMUs from falling over ...

10-13-2017, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #10748
Pentaxian

Still mostly in film land...

• Pentax Me (It was cheap, and I like its size, okay?)
  • 2 developed rolls of film
  • Genuine Minolta P-adapter, so I can actually use all of my M42 lenses on the Minolta cameras
  • Giant mouse pad
10-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #10749
Pentaxian

• Pentax Me (It was cheap, and I like its size, okay?)
  • 2 developed rolls of film
  • Genuine Minolta P-adapter, so I can actually use all of my M42 lenses on the Minolta cameras
  • Giant mouse pad
you don't need to defend getting an ME, it's a lovely camera. It gets overlooked due to the Super version but it's every bit as nice to use, just missing the 1/2000s shutter speed.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the P-adaptor. I just bought one myself but the seller didn't deliver to Spain, only to the UK, so i had to send it to my parents' place and probably won't get it for some time. I plan to use it mainly to be able to use my Takumar 105mm f/2.8 on my SR-T bodies as I have no fast primes around that focal length in SR mount.
10-14-2017, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #10750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Just took delivery of a pair of Vivitar 10x50mm binoculars. It was $20 including delivery by courier. Not bad, it cost about the same a takeaway burgers and chips for the family.

What I really want is something with a Pentax logo on it, but that would have been $100 or more. <snip>

This el cheapo might cure me of the idea or set me on the road to something like a Pentax 20x60mm. We will see.
As a long-time user of various binoculars for birding, may I offer a word of caution ? High magnification may seem a great idea, but there are drawbacks. Firstly, the d*mn things are heavy ! Secondly, DOF is limited. Thirdly, there is the same issue as long telephotos or zooms - holding them steady. Granted, they can go on a tripod or monopod, but that tends to cut down on their ease of use. Fourthly, they have limited light-gathering power - this is usually measured in bins by dividing the magnification (20) into the exit pupil diameter (60), thus giving a figure of three. I use Leica 7x42, thus giving a figure of six - twice the light gathering power, which in low light or murky conditions is invaluable. HTH.
10-14-2017, 03:58 AM   #10751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
As a long-time user of various binoculars for birding, may I offer a word of caution ? High magnification may seem a great idea, but there are drawbacks. Firstly, the d*mn things are heavy ! Secondly, DOF is limited. Thirdly, there is the same issue as long telephotos or zooms - holding them steady. Granted, they can go on a tripod or monopod, but that tends to cut down on their ease of use. Fourthly, they have limited light-gathering power - this is usually measured in bins by dividing the magnification (20) into the exit pupil diameter (60), thus giving a figure of three. I use Leica 7x42, thus giving a figure of six - twice the light gathering power, which in low light or murky conditions is invaluable. HTH.
Re 4th point: particularly true if you wear spectacles: bought both 8x50 & 7x50 Oly binos a few years ago to compare them. Sent the 8x50s back because there was insufficient "eye relief" when wearing specs (can't rely on the +/- dioptre eye correction because I have strong astigmatism which that correction cannot fix) and found them very difficult to use - pity because they had a tripod bush whereas the 7x50s don't. Both pairs were optically very good though.

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-14-2017 at 05:51 AM.
10-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #10752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
there was insufficient "eye relief" when wearing specs
Agree entirely - I've found some 'beauties' (like looking down a tunnel !) but I thought I had provided sufficient confusion for one post !
10-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #10753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
you don't need to defend getting an ME, it's a lovely camera. It gets overlooked due to the Super version but it's every bit as nice to use, just missing the 1/2000s shutter speed.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the P-adaptor. I just bought one myself but the seller didn't deliver to Spain, only to the UK, so i had to send it to my parents' place and probably won't get it for some time. I plan to use it mainly to be able to use my Takumar 105mm f/2.8 on my SR-T bodies as I have no fast primes around that focal length in SR mount.
Unlike the cheapo chinese adapter, I can actually mount meter-coupled Takumars on the camera, which is the main thing. The disadvantage is that the P adapter needs a "key" to remove it.
10-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #10754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some 35mm manual focus Nikon gear - an e-series 50mm f1.8 pancake lens, a Sigma 28mm f2.8 with Nikon mount, a Nikon EM body, and a flash, all for £15. Haven't been able to test the body yet, I don't have the right batteries, but the lenses are nice and clean; I was very tempted to keep the 50mm, it's a VERY nice lens, but in the end I've decided to sell it on.
10-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #10755
Pentaxian

• DKL to M42 adapter
  • Spotmatic F back from Eric.