Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #10786
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely lens and great results!

My acquisition today was rather less exalted, though also lenses - a job lot in various obsolete fittings etc. that are destined for eBay once I get them sorted out and cleaned up. There's a small manual Pentax zoom in there somewhere, and a Vivitar in Pentax fitting that isn't currently working properly, but mostly it's obscure brands and/or older fittings like Canon FD, Olympus OM (the short-lived autofocus version), and Minolta SR. Cost me £42 plus postage, so if I can manage say £4 average per item I'll just about come out ahead after eBay charges etc. Not quite as good as I was hoping when I bid on them, but I think I'll at least break even,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
10-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #10787
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Lovely lens and great results!

My acquisition today was rather less exalted, though also lenses - a job lot in various obsolete fittings etc. that are destined for eBay once I get them sorted out and cleaned up. There's a small manual Pentax zoom in there somewhere, and a Vivitar in Pentax fitting that isn't currently working properly, but mostly it's obscure brands and/or older fittings like Canon FD, Olympus OM (the short-lived autofocus version), and Minolta SR. Cost me £42 plus postage, so if I can manage say £4 average per item I'll just about come out ahead after eBay charges etc. Not quite as good as I was hoping when I bid on them, but I think I'll at least break even,
Enjoy the sorting out process!

---------- Post added 10-20-17 at 02:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That’s some gorgeous kit.
Thank you. I am enjoying it.
10-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #10788
Pentaxian

Yesterday I picked up a Takumar-F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5, the cheaper, single-coated, and perhaps Japan-only, version of the renowned F 35-70mm. It came with an SFX with a busted shutter so I talked her down from €30 to €20, which I think is not a bad deal.
10-20-2017, 05:24 PM - 9 Likes   #10789
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
latest acquisition

no SMU's used, mainly because she would eat them and chocolate isn't good for her... Laney is a rescue and came to us from a friend of the family that wasn't willing to care for her anymore...

10-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #10790
Pentaxian

• 2 Developed rolls of 120 film
  • Sunpack Auto 321 flash (which works on my Yashica TLR, with a PC socket adapter reversing the direction of the shoe...(yeah, weird))
10-22-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #10791
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
latest acquisition

no SMU's used, mainly because she would eat them and chocolate isn't good for her... Laney is a rescue and came to us from a friend of the family that wasn't willing to care for her anymore...
Yes, I can see the problem with the SMUs, even if you could find some equivalents without chocolate. The acquisition would still make a good effort to eat them... And the more she ate the more you would need to measure her

A beautiful acquisition she is, though - I'm sure sure you'll get along nicely
10-22-2017, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #10792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
latest acquisition

if that is a beagle you should know they actually have measurable IQs that they apply to securing an adequate diet

ours at one point had pushed a kitchen chair to the counter that served as a platform to reach the top of the refrigerator where we had "hidden" a birthday cake from her...epic fail
she loved Crisco and defeated baby locks on the cupboard doors to get it just so she could poop on the carpet before we got home from work
she loved crayons as well...real Crayola crayons in the 64 color pack...she said it made her poop prettier

she is the same dog that half killed a rottie that attacked my boys on a early autumn walk

I used to take her with me when I did photo walks in the wild...her nose caught almost everything...even passed out drunk deer hunters

we never got another (even though I wanted one)...my wife said we weren't smart enough to own a beagle

it looks to be a beautiful pooch

good luck

10-22-2017, 11:58 AM - 4 Likes   #10793
Pentaxian

A gift. He bought a newer studio set and asked me if I wanted this. Oui!

Like new and includes a 85cm circular softbox set up plus a speed light bracket ... from a fellow PF Pentax user in 645Z that does not live far from me ... very lucky I am. I am now really well set up for some studio efforts!

The rest looks like kind of like this, excluding the box ... a very happy camper.

Merci beaucoup, Bob !!!
10-22-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #10794
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I am now really well set up for some studio efforts!
All you need now is a 645Z

But really, I think you'll do reasonably well as it is with the 67
10-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #10795
Pentaxian

After i acquired in the last 2 or 3 years most of the lenses i craved for (but a few ones that were definitely too expensive for my declining LBA budget), i self imposed a new rule on myself: unless it's almost too good to be true, let's refrain from new, silly purchases!
I just realized that such harsh rule is like a house of cards. It relies on a very unstable equilibrium. Just touch a single unimportant detail, and everything else falls
Btw, i had a very good reason to stick to my rule, i am thousands Km. away from home and my hand luggage is already filled of photographic paraphernalia (checked luggage is also already super heavy and i don't feel comfortable storing high cost gear in it).
Unfortunately my Sigma Apo Macro 5.6/180mm is seeing a lot of use lately, and often i'm finding that 1:2 magnification ratio is not enough. 1:1 would be much better!
So i enquired on the forum about cheap achromatic diopter lenses and... started my Ebay search.
I ended up finding an original Sigma close-up attachment, probably identical to the one that was sold as an accessory at the time i bough my lens (one of the few i ever purchased new). It's the right size (52mm), it doesn't specify the diopter value (it should be 1.6x), and i'm confident it would extend the range of my long macro lens to 1:1, with good quality and negligible weight/bulk.
Unfortunately during my search i checked Ebay Japan... and of course i couldn't help myself. Found a nice 2.8/105mm series K sold for a very nice price, with free shipment, and saw the Pentax-FA 100-300mm all-plastic version, which i suspect would be much better than my Pentax-F 100-300mm (and could also replace my Sigma Apo Macro 70-300mm that has been severely infested by fungus). Proposed a price of 75 USD (shipment included), and my proposal was accepted!
Now, instead of a simple close-up lens, that i needed, i have two more objectives on their way to Thailand. Which of course are everything but necessary
Here are the two new pets:

Btw, the late, silver, plasticky Pentax-FA zooms don't get the appreciation they deserve.
I have the similar Pentax-FA f/4-5.6 35-80mm that i tried to sell on PF Market for as cheap as 40 euros. With original box and almost as new.
No one sent me a PM!
It is difficult to understand, i have some more expensive (and rather well regarded) lenses that don't perform as well at mid diaphragms.
Forgetting the pitiful construction and the unimpressive performance wide open, if it's used the way it should (taking into account its limits), sharpness, contrast and nice colors are all there.
A great little lens, good even on FF, when you need a light objective that can take a beating in difficult shooting conditions.
Not a WR of course, but if it gets damaged... who cares?
From what i read, the 100-300mm should perform in a similar way. Plastic construction but better IQ than many zooms that have a better build and cost more money.
Any recent first-hand impression on full frame?
The 105mm doesn't need any reassurance.
Slowly i'm discovering by myself the qualities of the early series K. The lenses that changed the optical project with the M and A lines are often not on par with the earlier ones.

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-23-2017 at 10:30 AM.
10-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #10796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A gift. He bought a newer studio set and asked me if I wanted this. Oui!

Like new and includes a 85cm circular softbox set up plus a speed light bracket ... from a fellow PF Pentax user in 645Z that does not live far from me ... very lucky I am. I am now really well set up for some studio efforts!

The rest looks like kind of like this, excluding the box ... a very happy camper.

Merci beaucoup, Bob !!!

You are outstandingly lucky to get those monolights at that price. I'll give you one warning - they draw a LOT of current. I had a single monolight of lesser wattage and when it recharged after a full output blip, the nearby lamps would dim momentarily. Two 400 ws units on the same circuit might trip a circuit breaker or blow a fuse.
10-23-2017, 10:20 AM - 3 Likes   #10797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting close to all the K lenses

Nearing my goal.
Attached Images

10-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #10798
Pentaxian

Good find monochrome!
The 3.5/24mm is one of those K's i still miss!
The f/2.8 version makes no sense because it's substantially the same as the later Pentax-A version i bought looong time ago
The f/3.5 should be way better...

cheers

Paolo
10-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #10799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Good find monochrome!
The 3.5/24mm is one of those K's i still miss!
The f/2.8 version makes no sense because it's substantially the same as the later Pentax-A version i bought looong time ago
The f/3.5 should be way better...

cheers

Paolo
TYVM! The 2.8 is no slouch. This one will be fun also.

I’m selling all but the K lenses and the Macros (and two M’s for the MX) in my manual collection.
10-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #10800
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
TYVM! The 2.8 is no slouch. This one will be fun also.

I’m selling all but the K lenses and the Macros (and two M’s for the MX) in my manual collection.
Aw, no 40mm pancake?