Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #10891
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
No lenses nor SLR's at the thrift store, but this showed up for 7€.

Like new, but a couple of fungus blooms on the front element which I serviced and removed in about a half hour ... very simple construction.

Bad news was that the scope was "paired" with a no-name tripod which was also 7€. Good ol' Gilbert would not let me buy the scope alone, so I had to take both. Oh well, c'est la vie !
I have had one of those for years. Can't remember where I got it. Probably some sporting goods store. Not a bad scope. It usually gets range time when I am sighting in a rifle. Not sure how good it would be for spotting wolves at Yellowstone that are a mile or two away. Definitely worth what you paid for it and the tripod.

11-09-2017, 02:52 PM - 3 Likes   #10892
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unpacked my Pentax-D FA 645 90mm f 2.8

I unpacked the 645 DFA 90mm f 2.8 slowly, savoring the moment this significant lens came into my possession, not thinking of what was sacrificed to obtain it! Now I am prepared for this lens to embarass me for being unable to locate suitable models and scenery to justify having it, but I am resolved to try.

Here are a couple of unedited JPEGS right out of the 645D, setting AV.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
11-09-2017, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #10893
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Sekonic Auto-Lumi 86 light meter

One of the few photo items I bought new and still own,
mine is still active and accurate after nearly forty years.
That is remarkable given the reputation of selenium meters.
It's definitely not a spot meter and not sensitive in low light,
but for 99% of anything I'd photograph it works perfectly fine.

Another inexpensive model I recommend for meterless cameras is the Vivitar 24 CdS.
It is compact, has a shoe mount ("clip-on"), and is accurate with a 44/76/357 battery.
Though not described as a semi-spot meter, both I have owned read a surprisingly narrow area.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-12-2017 at 09:30 AM.
11-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #10894
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That’s gonna hurt.

Yikes! Just had an emergency replacement of the Waste Arm from the kitchen down to the main Waste Stack in the cellar (2” cast iron now PVC). While they were at it they replaced 8’ of cast iron stack from ceiling to concrete floor, including the clean out (and Waste Arm junction). Not the kind of expenditure that you gaze at with pleasure, thinking, “Wow! That’s really nice!”

UGH. Lenses and cameras are out of the drawer for sale photos. Contax is fun and dupe f/l M’s and A’s look nicer on SuperPROGRAM, MX and LX, but money is money.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.
11-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #10895
Pentaxian

In exchange for some unwanted cameras, lenses, and flashes, I acquired:

• Vivitar XC-3 (Cosina M42 TTL camera)
  • Vivitar XC-A (Av mode accessory)
  • Auto Rikenon EE 50/1.7
11-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #10896
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yikes! Just had an emergency replacement of the Waste Arm from the kitchen down to the main Waste Stack in the cellar (PVC). While they were at it they replaced 8’ of cast iron stack from ceiling to concrete floor, including the clean out (and Waste Arm junction). Not the kind of expenditure that you gaze at with pleasure, thinking, “Wow! That’s really nice!”

UGH. Lenses and cameras are out of the drawer for sale photos. Contax is fun and dupe f/l M’s and A’s look nicer on SuperPROGRAM, MX and LX, but money is money.

Except in Singapore where a friend had a flat high in a multistorey I have never seen a kitchen waste system that lets the stuff fall to a lower floor. I have only ever seen receptacles of various types in the kitchen which are emptied frequently, as they fill, to the proper council removal bin, outside. What a mess if someone tips rubbish down when you have the bin out for collection etc.
11-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #10897
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Except in Singapore where a friend had a flat high in a multistorey I have never seen a kitchen waste system that lets the stuff fall to a lower floor. I have only ever seen receptacles of various types in the kitchen which are emptied frequently, as they fill, to the proper council removal bin, outside. What a mess if someone tips rubbish down when you have the bin out for collection etc.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to regular plumbing, not a garbage chute.

11-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #10898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm pretty sure he's referring to regular plumbing, not a garbage chute.
Yep. Plumbing is for the sink and dishwasher. My house was built in 1957, so this kind of maintenance is expected and we had it in the upkeep plan, but the tIming was a surprise. Better today than Thanksgiving Day, I suppose, but I don’t enjoy thinking of infrastructure plumbing as a purchase. .

@tim60. Trash goes in a green wheelie bin for city collection. Recyclables go in a blue wheelie bin for city collection. The trash bin takes nearly a month to fill. The recyclables bin fills every week.
11-11-2017, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #10899
Pentaxian

I misunderstood what you meant by "kitchen waste system".

It seems like plumbers get the hourly rate a GP gets and they are much less likely to have the customers sue them for malpractice.
11-11-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #10900
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I misunderstood what you meant by "kitchen waste system".

It seems like plumbers get the hourly rate a GP gets and they are much less likely to have the customers sue them for malpractice.
When I worked for Kodak doing field service our hourly rate was $275/hour. If you did not have a service contract it cost you a $340 call charge plus a minimum of two hours labor charge just to have me walk through the door.
11-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #10901
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
When I worked for Kodak doing field service our hourly rate was $275/hour. If you did not have a service contract it cost you a $340 call charge plus a minimum of two hours labor charge just to have me walk through the door.

I take it that was the charge out rate, not your rate.
11-12-2017, 06:46 AM - 4 Likes   #10902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Konica Genba Kantoku rugged weatherproof 35mm film P&S camera

Chris
11-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #10903
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it that was the charge out rate, not your rate.
The difference was substantial. And while they kept raising the rate citing increasing costs, I and all the field service techs, didn't get a raise the in the 12 years before I retired.

FWIW, I have some goodies coming form B&H later this week. Nothing big, just a few accessories and their accessories.
11-12-2017, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10904
Pentaxian

A pile of books about a foot high - science fiction and fantasy - since I've been at an SF convention this weekend, but my photographic news is that I'm going to be getting rid of something - ten or twelve old camera bodies (Zenith, Praktica, etc.) that are well beyond repair and some seriously damaged lenses and bits of lens, the unwanted junk from various job lots, dead bodies that came with good lenses, etc.. I've been trying to talk myself into binning them for months, but last week someone made a post to one of the local recycling groups asking for old cameras that can be used as props in an amateur film, and is going to take the lot next week. I've suggested that he can glue old coke cans onto the bodies and spray them black as fake lenses...
11-14-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #10905
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

gonna need some SMU's...

(FA* 300/4.5 is on the way....)