Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #1126
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vivitar 70-210 Komine macro and 85mm 2.8. Both recent here, both 'in the mail'. All PF members are requested to stop listing good macro's for the time being; my plastic needs a rest.

09-17-2011, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #1127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What differences do you find between the 50 macros?
I haven't really taken photos of the same subject under the same conditions with each lens yet (A 50mm macro, D-FA 50mm macro), but there are a number of physical differences.

Without the lens hood on the D-FA the overall size and weight is very close. The hood makes the D-FA twice the length and quite a bit wider than the A at infinity focus, and because the front element is so deeply recessed the A doesn't need a separate hood. Up to 1:2 magnification (where the A tops out) the sizes without hoods remain roughly the same, then the D-FA extends its length another 30% or so to hit 1:1 with the front lens element even with the front of its hood.

The focus ring is much lighter and smoother on my copy of the A (almost too light), however it has obviously been apart at some point in the past. I didn't notice until I set the lenses beside each other but the focusing scale on the A rotates past the infinity marking by about 1 cm in order to actually reach infinity (which I will fix shortly).

My initial impression is that both lenses are brutally sharp, meter well and produce colours that I'm happy with. I'll put a more detailed comparison off until daylight and I'll probably stick it in the lens forum along with this preamble. The lens formulas are quite different and I'm not sure how much of a difference 6 aperture blades (A) vs. 8 (D-FA) will make in the highlights.
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #1128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I haven't really taken photos of the same subject under the same conditions with each lens yet (A 50mm macro, D-FA 50mm macro), but there are a number of physical differences.
Thanks for the overview!
09-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #1129
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote

the little silver guy on the right. Its a componon 80mm enlarging lens, costing me a whopping $9.99
With a 25mm thread.

I would recognize the Nikkor 50 anywhere. I have 2 of them... on photo enlargers.

09-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #1130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
All PF members are requested to stop listing good macro's for the time being
Noted.
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #1131
Veteran Member

I have a 40mm da waiting for me at home.. UPS just delivered it... I am stuck at work!
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #1132
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are two DA40s in the market for reasonable prices and it is very hard to resist even though I tell myself i have the focal range covered.

09-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #1133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Please don't tell anyone I know, or they'll be asking me to move furniture etc.

Chris
I always considered that an excuse, if not a reason, to have a big vehicle, you know. If I had a big one, people around who drove more could afford to have small ones.
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #1134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I drove various minivans for fifteen years doing computer field service.
Then I drove big box trucks and full-size vans for another five.
When I bought my last car five years ago I figured I was done with those.

Before my last car I had always owned four-cylinder economy cars.
Now with $4 per gallon gas fuel-efficient cars are in great demand, and pricey.
Desirable and affordable small cars are scarce used, here anyway.

I didn't set out to buy a larger vehicle, but this minivan was the best value in my price range.
It has the same size engine as my old car. I'm hoping the mpg will be similar.
Even if not it shouldn't hurt too much. I drive 27 miles round-trip per day for work.

This one will be a people and luggage mover only...

Chris
Hrm, welll, it shouldn't be so bad if you don't accelerate and decelerate too much. Down here a decent minivan isn't cheap, or common: seems those that like em don't let go of them. I looked at one that was I thought in my price range at that point, and I was like, "This is one bright red vehicle. I'm not usually fussy as to color, but..."

I was almost tempted to buy an old Suburban, like the big ones. They've been going cheap and they don't rust down here, I was like, 'I could make a house out of this,' (I really have paid rent on smaller places: in fact if I had gone that way, I might have just knocked the 'an' off the name and called it honesty. ) But it did seem a bit much.

I'd figured I'd end up with an Explorer or Ranger or Cherokee of some former-Yuppiedom, but I kinda didn't. They tend to go lame about the front end for one, and for another, I probably hosed my chances on one deal from not having a poker face about it and telling some young lad how impressed I was at the job he'd done fixing one. (Meritorious work, just not a way to talk when you need a cheap used car. Captialism fail. May as well have said, "YOu've done a great job on this, lad, you should ask more.")

It's OK, though, being in the South means everything's Hel on rubber, but things don't rust so much.

Vehicle I did get, I ended up telling my sweetie, 'You do realize the point of having mechanics look this over is to know what we're dealing with, (or have them say, 'It is what it is,' ...picture me saying, 'Clearly,' in Bostonianwise,) *before* you write a check and pass papers?' I was like, 'I think we need to come down about five..... You just did it, didn't you. OK.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.
09-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #1135
Veteran Member

i picked up a 2010 Giant TCX2 cyclocross on Craigslist a couple of weeks back. Just waiting to get the wheels back from having a couple of spokes replaced before I can try it out!

TCX 2 (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #1136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
There are two DA40s in the market for reasonable prices and it is very hard to resist even though I tell myself i have the focal range covered.
Those went up hours after I placed my order online... I didn't see it until the next day after my order was shipped... Owell
09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #1137
Inactive Account

09-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #1138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Oh my, what an acquisition!!!

---
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #1139
Veteran Member

My FA*85 got a pair of siblings this afternoon