Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
of course it being cloudy and grey, I ran right out to try it

you can see the result, SOC here

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

01-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #11447
Veteran Member

Aslyfox, did the choccy biscuits come with it?
01-21-2018, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #11448
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Aslyfox, did the choccy biscuits come with it?
no

those are SMU to show scale

a few ( quite a few ) posts back, a forum member,

not me,

posted a photo in this thread which showed a number of chocolate cookies [ biscuits/wafers ] and some photographic equipment

it was then declared by others that those items were the new Standard Measuring Units to show scale of the item photographed.

[ first established by pepperberry farm #9144 and approved by BigMackCam Moderator Loyal Site Supporter #9151 ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-21-2018 at 03:58 AM.
01-21-2018, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #11449
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I love SMU shots...

01-21-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #11450
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I had the 300 f4 Sigma APO macro that was issued at the same time as that 400 f5.6. The slide forward hood is really convenient. Such hoods should be required by law on all SFL lenses of 100mm and longer. The Sigma hood didn't slide as easily/smoothly as the beautifully made one on a Pentax SMCA 400 f5.6 I had for a while. The grippy rubber coating on the SIgma lenses causes the hood to stick a bit, and that coating is a bit vulnerable to being scraped off if your careless carrying the lens (did you guess that I marred that coating on my 300mm f4?). One of the nicest slide-forward hood designs I've encountered is on the Pentax FA 135mm f2.8. It moves very smoothly and also disappears within the outer part of the lens when retracted. Really nice design.
I just leave the hood extended. I ordered a LensCoat hoodie that fits the hood. My bag holds the camera and lens with the hood extended, so no need for me to not just leave it that way. I'm extremely careful with my equipment, so don't anticipate marring the rubber coating. I'm sure Ron put this lens thru it's paces, and still, it looks brand new.
01-21-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #11451
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I just leave the hood extended. I ordered a LensCoat hoodie that fits the hood. My bag holds the camera and lens with the hood extended, so no need for me to not just leave it that way. I'm extremely careful with my equipment, so don't anticipate marring the rubber coating. I'm sure Ron put this lens thru it's paces, and still, it looks brand new.
I think you'll like the Sigma. I found the 300mm version very good and convenient, but I parted with it when I gave up film and converted to digital, a time when I was really down on photography and parted with many pieces of equipment that years later I wished I had kept.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-21-2018 at 04:16 PM.
01-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #11452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today I ordered some black and white film processing chemicals from Freestyle
and assorted amber Boston Round glass storage bottles from Specialty Bottle.

Chris

01-22-2018, 07:55 AM - 7 Likes   #11453
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A rather nice camera and lens combo arrived with the postman this morning... this Cosmorex SE and Auto Cosmogon 2/58. It's a Zenit EM and Helios-44M, re-branded for the US market. The lens (which is the main reason I bought the combo) is interesting, as it carries both metric and imperial distance markings, unlike the Helios-44M which only showed the distance in metres.

The camera is in near mint condition cosmetically, and everything seems to work - though it all feels a bit stiff and sluggish. It's way too good for the junk box, so I'll add it to my list of projects The lens is also in excellent condition... there's a little bit of internal dust, and the focusing helicoid - whilst perfectly usable - could do with a clean and re-lubrication. So there's yet another one for the project list

This was one of those very lucky eBay finds where the auction was timed to end when most people would be at their day jobs. Plus, not everyone knows about these Cosmorex / Cosmogon rebranded products. It's mostly collectors that would be interested, I'd say. Anyway, I picked it up very cheaply (I'd have paid three times as much!).
Attached Images

01-22-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #11454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A rather nice camera and lens combo arrived with the postman this morning... this Cosmorex SE and Auto Cosmogon 2/58. It's a Zenit EM and Helios-44M, re-branded for the US market. The lens (which is the main reason I bought the combo) is interesting, as it carries both metric and imperial distance markings, unlike the Helios-44M which only showed the distance in metres.

The camera is in near mint condition cosmetically, and everything seems to work - though it all feels a bit stiff and sluggish. It's way too good for the junk box, so I'll add it to my list of projects The lens is also in excellent condition... there's a little bit of internal dust, and the focusing helicoid - whilst perfectly usable - could do with a clean and re-lubrication. So there's yet another one for the project list

This was one of those very lucky eBay finds where the auction was timed to end when most people would be at their day jobs. Plus, not everyone knows about these Cosmorex / Cosmogon rebranded products. It's mostly collectors that would be interested, I'd say. Anyway, I picked it up very cheaply (I'd have paid three times as much!).
Congratulations
01-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #11455
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Just bought another job lot - six lenses and eight filters for about £40, they all look pretty clean so I'm hoping it'll be profitable. A Pentax KA 28-80 3.5-4.5 and KM 50mm f2, a Sigma UC 28-200 3.8-5.6, fitting not clear but it looks like it's autofocus, a Prakticar 70-210 4.5-5.6, a Hanimax 28/2.8 which I think is PK mount, and a PK mount Jessop teleconverter (manual focus unfortunately). With luck the 50mm will pay for at least half of the lot, the rest is a bit more iffy but I hope I'll do well from it.
Arrived today - the Pentax stuff is very good, as is the Jessop converter. The Hanimex turns out to be Olympus OM mount, and is also excellent condition, and so is the Prakticar. Unfortunately the Sigma is DOA - it's Canon fitting and made in the era when they back-engineered the technology rather than paying Canon, so gives horrible errors on a digital body. To add insult to injury it doesn't work properly on a 35mm body either, I think the autofocus gearing is damaged. Another one to sell for spares / repairs for a couple of pounds. Never mind, the rest of this stuff should more than cover the cost.
01-22-2018, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #11456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Nice catch, Mack : )
01-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #11457
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slightly weird one - Last night I was looking at the pricing on old Ricoh KR-10 Supers before I sell the one I got the other day, and came across one being sold with three lenses - a 50mm Rikenon, a no-name PK-fit 70-200 zoom, and for some weird reason a 50mm f2 Nikkor E. The weird part was that the Nikkor wasn't mentioned until you read the listing and didn't come up on searches. So I guessed that it might end up selling at a low price, bid on it at about 5.30 this evening, and got the lot for £38. Since the seller was only a couple of miles away I picked it up this evening. So far very pleased - the Ricoh gear is working well and very clean, the Nikkor is very clean - focusing and aperture control a bit stiff, I think because it hasn't been used much recently, but working well enough, and the zoom is clean but won't focus, but since I valued it at about £2 when I bought the lot I'm not very worried, I can sell it for spares. VERY pleased!
01-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #11458

Photos: Albums
I went a little crazy expanding my autofocus kit before the Paypal Credit 2-year financing deal went away...

F 50 f1.7, used but in really nice shape, for about 20% less than the KEH bargain rate
Tamron 70-200 2.8, used, veeeery good price, this one arrives today so we'll see if there was an undisclosed reason for it, but I'm optimistic
FA 77 1.8 limited (!) - to date the only lens for Pentax I've bought new, and only the second current production lens, after the Tamron. I'm very excited for this one. I'll have to do a shootout vs. the m42 portrait primes I've preferred up til now

I also found somebody selling a buy-it-now Ricoh GR for what's usually the opening bid price. Not a lot of details in the listing but I took a chance. No more cell phone cameras for me.

My wife now has explicit permission to slap me if she catches me trolling gear on ebay again.
01-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #11459
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
CZJ 120mm f 2.8

I am happy to receive a competitively priced Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm f 2.8, No. 5893785, complete with both caps but no hood. Should not be too difficult to locate a suitable 67mm screw-in hood. Some claim this lens is on a par with its more famous 80mm stablemate, but I cannot say yet as I am still awaiting an adapter, Pentacon 6 to Pentax 645.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #11460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am happy to receive a competitively priced Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm f 2.8, No. 5893785, complete with both caps but no hood. Should not be too difficult to locate a suitable 67mm screw-in hood. Some claim this lens is on a par with its more famous 80mm stablemate, but I cannot say yet as I am still awaiting an adapter, Pentacon 6 to Pentax 645.
And here I'm waiting on Kiev-6s with a Pentacon 6 mount...