Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 06:19 PM - 5 Likes   #11836
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UPDATE, we have an UPDATE

remember I bored you folks a month or so ago about the detached retina and macula in my left eye

well, for anyone interested, here is the latest info

original surgery February 8, free floating gas bubble inserted into pupil to hopefully force retina and macula [ which had pulled away from the optic nerve ] into proper place,

restrictions placed on activities

and we had to cancel our whale watching trip to Baja California

just got back from my latest DR exam. ( Dr spent a whole 7 minutes with me )

retina and macula has successfully been forced back into place

limited vision - basically light perceptible

bubble reduced to 60 % still expected to be gone by mid to late April

so far best possible outcome achieved

no way to tell how much more vision I will be able to obtain

restrictions re: flying, change in altitude and how I must sleep ( on right side, keep off my back ) remain, all other restrictions lifted

Next appointment April 16.

so thanks for your good thoughts and I hope you continue to send the same my way.

03-06-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #11837

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

restrictions re: flying, change in altitude and how I must sleep ( on right side, keep off my back ) remain, all other restrictions lifted

so thanks for your good thoughts and I hope you continue to send the same my way.
Awesome news!

BTW I was never bored.
03-06-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #11838
Pentaxian

Just acquired a practically brand new Tamron Adaptall 2 52A (1:3.5-4.5 70-210mm) lens, with Canon FD adapter (which also looks brand new).
03-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #11839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

remember I bored you folks a month or so ago about the detached retina and macula in my left eye

original surgery February 8, free floating gas bubble inserted into pupil to hopefully force retina and macula [ which had pulled away from the optic nerve ] into proper place,

Good news to hear. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. Retina repairs usually have a good result. I know it is scary. I had a torn retina about half a year ago with a good resolution.

Just worry about taxes not the doctor appointment and catch the whales next year.

03-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #11840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
remember I bored you folks a month or so ago about the detached retina and mmacula in my left eye

Yikes, you must have been shell shocked! Glad things are moving in the right direction. Will keep my fingers crossed
03-07-2018, 04:57 AM   #11841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hang in there my sly, foxy friend. We're all thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome.
03-07-2018, 06:58 AM - 6 Likes   #11842
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My Industar-24M arrived today, and it's even better than I could have hoped for - very, very near mint, and no sign of re-polishing; it's clearly the original finish. I haven't seen a lens this old in better cosmetic condition, and optically it's absolutely flawless. The diaphragm blades are in great condition, with no corrosion and no oil.

There's usually a "but" with these vintage lenses, though... thankfully, it's minor with this one: the focusing is rather stiff, so it's going to need a clean and re-lubricate at some point. I'm guessing it's rather similar in construction to the Jupiter-11, so shouldn't be all that difficult. An afternoon's work, maybe.

EDIT: The documentation dates this lens to 1960, the first year of production, which makes sense given the very low serial number

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-07-2018 at 07:33 AM.
03-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #11843
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fantastic news, Allen. Extremely glad to hear you're making such good progress
03-07-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #11844
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My Industar-24M arrived today, and it's even better than I could have hoped for - very, very near mint, and no sign of re-polishing; it's clearly the original finish. I haven't seen a lens this old in better cosmetic condition, and optically it's absolutely flawless. The diaphragm blades are in great condition, with no corrosion and no oil.

There's usually a "but" with these vintage lenses, though... thankfully, it's minor with this one: the focusing is rather stiff, so it's going to need a clean and re-lubricate at some point. I'm guessing it's rather similar in construction to the Jupiter-11, so shouldn't be all that difficult. An afternoon's work, maybe.

EDIT: The documentation dates this lens to 1960, the first year of production, which makes sense given the very low serial number
Well, red P and 3 zeros... I guess it's a pre-production run. Nice!
03-07-2018, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #11845
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I want to thank all who have ( or will ) expressed their good thoughts and support for my recovery

all are hereby awarded double " Bonus Points "

remember that " Bonus Points " are useable for the purchase of your favorite beverage at your favorite café when accompanied by the required amount of local currency

they are usable world wide

be advised that it has been reported that at least one café is not publicly acknowledging their participation in the program due to legal or regulatory restrictions but rest assured it will comply with the program

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-07-2018 at 11:37 AM.
03-07-2018, 12:00 PM - 3 Likes   #11846
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little bit of Pentaxiana. I found this at my sister-in-law's place together with her Pentax film-era camera after her death in September, 2016. I bought the Pentax, lens, flash and this cleaning cloth for her sometime in the 1980's. She used the equipment some, but not very much. The cloth was pristine, didn't look as if it had ever been taken out of the plastic sleeve, although the outer packaging was a little scruffy around the edges. The cloth is not embroidered with "Pentax" but the little white tag sewn into one edge does say Pentax. The camera, lens, etc. went to my son. I've subsequently mailed this cloth to a Pentaxiana collector as I have many good lens-cleaning cloths, several made by Zeiss that came free with lens purchases, so this one would just get lost in the lot and slowly go to ruin.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
03-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #11847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are here with absorbent shoulders for you! I hear good things about modern retinal surgery. Do keep us posted.

PS: I am taking SWMBO out to dinner tonight, seeing as how I'm not home on Wednesday to do my cooking, and I will take you up on your kind bonus offer. The closest thing the Causeway Bay has to beer is Heinekin, so that's what I will use to celebrate your successful surgery.
03-07-2018, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #11848
Veteran Member

Got a K1000 and M40/2.8 for five dollars at the thrift store - seems to all work fine and in good condition.
If I'll actually use it, that's another question...
03-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #11849
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We are here with absorbent shoulders for you! I hear good things about modern retinal surgery. Do keep us posted.

PS: I am taking SWMBO out to dinner tonight, seeing as how I'm not home on Wednesday to do my cooking, and I will take you up on your kind bonus offer. The closest thing the Causeway Bay has to beer is Heinekin, so that's what I will use to celebrate your successful surgery.

what

you are using the bonus points on yourself instead of her

you better keep that very very quiet
03-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #11850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Got a K1000 and M40/2.8 for five dollars at the thrift store - seems to all work fine and in good condition.
If I'll actually use it, that's another question...
Wow, that's a lucky find. At the very least, you should run a roll of film through it