Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #12241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slightly boggled after two more car boot sales:

A Canon conversion lens adapter with a 58mm polarizer for 1 - the adapter is plastic crap, but it's worth it for the polarizer.
A very clean Ricoh 50mm 1:2L (not sure what the L means - does anyone know?) for 5
A Franka Frankarette 35mm rangefinder camera for 5 (meter and rangefinder work well, speeds under 1/8th second are dodgy otherwise very good)
and a big lot of Lomography stuff for 17 including a a 35mm fisheye camera, a Diana Plus 120 camera with wide angle lens, various film masks for it, a 35mm back for the Diana, and an instant film back for the Diana. VERY grubby, but I think they'll clean up OK. There's also a flash that doesn't work.
I could have got several more lenses, all manual zooms, at a fiver each, but none of them were good and all of them had fungus and other problems. Sometimes you have to just walk away...

And I also picked up a Mac Mini - early Intel model - for 15 (no idea if it's working yet, I'll check later tonight since I have a load of auctions ending at six), an IBM USB floppy disk drive for 3, a TI-84 Plus calculator for 2 (works but the battery contacts are corroded), 20 new retractable ballpoint pens for 1, and four packets of Reese Pieces and 20 individually wrapped 5g bits of Elizabeth Shaw 70% cocoa solids chocolate for 2

And the one that got away was three Mac Cubes with two power supplies and two monitors for 50 - I had no way to get them home, and at that point I only had about 20 on me, which was VERY annoying because they're worth 100+ each working!

Later - mac is working but its power supply isn't - fortunately I have exactly the same model hooked up to my TV, so I can at least confirm that it works. Since it's no better than the one I have I'll wipe the drive and sell it on.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 04-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.
04-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #12242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just won a Carl Zeiss tessar 50mm f2.8 m42 mount in lovely shiny silver metal for 24. I am rather looking forward to that one arriving my first Carl Zeiss

Hope its not crap!

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Actually, no... Both have four elements in three groups, but the formula is quite different.

I prefer the Jupiter-11 compared to the original Tair-11, but the later Tair-11A is better still, IMHO.
I have my eye on a Jupiter 11. It is the long, thin version (technical term). Is that the one that doesn't really work on Pentax?
04-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #12243
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have my eye on a Jupiter 11. It is the long, thin version (technical term). Is that the one that doesn't really work on Pentax?
When you say "long and thin", that suggests to me it may be the rangefinder version - in which case the flange focal distance is way too short for use on anything but mirrorless bodies and rangefinder film cameras. Do you have a photo of the lens? I'll be able to tell you for sure if I see it
04-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #12244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you say "long and thin", that suggests to me it may be the rangefinder version - in which case the flange focal distance is way too short for use on anything but mirrorless bodies and rangefinder film cameras. Do you have a photo of the lens? I'll be able to tell you for sure if I see it
Here's a screen shot

Attached Images

04-15-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #12245
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Here's a screen shot
Yep, that's the rangefinder version. The M39 SLR version is the one shown in my post... there are also slightly later versions in black, or black and silver (both quite rare - the all-black version especially so).

I'd recommend you look for a Jupiter-11A with M42 mount instead. If infinity focus is important to you, it's a far better choice. You can pick them up quite cheaply, they produce nice results, and they're not too difficult to work on if servicing is required...
04-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #12246
Pentaxian

Got another job lot I won on eBay last week and forgot to mention - mostly M42 lenses:

A nice clean Tessar 50/2.8 in the classic zebra version. Focusing is a bit stiff but it's working well
A very nice Soligor 28/2.8 with case
A Helios x2 converter - a bit loose but seems OK now I've tightened things up a bit.
a good clean Hoya 80-200 f4 zoom with case
a fairly filthy Vivitar x3 converter in OM fitting - haven't tried cleaning it yet.
and a cable release, a couple of filters, a hood, and a Watameter rangefinder, also working well. Total cost was 35 but I should get that back on the Tessar and the rangefinder, I think, the rest ought to be profit.
04-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #12247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
so after playing with the trigger and one flash i am sold , ordered 2 more flashes and mounts so I can use modifiers (and a couple more light stands, now have a mains free setup (I'll replace my strobes eventually w ones compatible as well) was hoping for an outdoor shoot this weekend to test hss more thoroughly but ice storm on the way. for less than half the price of a single Profoto head I think I can live with the limitations, and att the TTL Battery powered studio strobes as time and money permits (they are still half the price each of a Profoto piece) Meanwhile I will do some product shots of items i want to sell to test the 3 light setup and wait for nicer weather
and today the last part of the order arrived -- 2 new 9' heavy duty light stands for $50 Canadian, the same light stand at the local camera chain under their house brand name run $100 each...I'm really impressed with them very sturdy going to be very useful with large softboxes outside (or in)
04-16-2018, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #12248
Pentaxian

Look what arrived from the seller via a trip across Eric's bench for some TLC:

04-16-2018, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #12249
Forum Member

Just picked up my newest addition to my normal lens collection, a leitz elmar 5cm f3.5. I have another one that is a few years older and in much worse shape but this version goes to f22 and is in pretty good shape. It came attached to a bessler enlarger lens board that an offerup seller had in a darkroom lot. Picked it up for 20.00 so I am pretty happy with it.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
ILCE-5000  Photo 
04-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #12250
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlthellama Quote
Just picked up my newest addition to my normal lens collection, a leitz elmar 5cm f3.5. I have another one that is a few years older and in much worse shape but this version goes to f22 and is in pretty good shape. It came attached to a bessler enlarger lens board that an offerup seller had in a darkroom lot. Picked it up for 20.00 so I am pretty happy with it.
That is *lovely* <drool>

I have a couple of Soviet FED / Industar "copies" - although, as I'm sure you know, they're not quite the same in terms of optical design, despite visual similarities...

Have you tried utilising the flare characteristics yet?
04-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #12251
Forum Member

That is *lovely* <drool>

I have a couple of Soviet FED / Industar "copies" - although, as I'm sure you know, they're not quite the same in terms of optical design, despite visual similarities...

Have you tried utilising the flare characteristics yet?
I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet. I picked it up on my lunch and had just enough time to take a few sample photos.
04-16-2018, 03:33 PM - 4 Likes   #12252
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Update We Have An Update

back in February, i used this thread to relate that I had suffered a detached retina and macula at the optic nerve in my left eye

well I have an UPDATE in case anyone is wondering that is going on:

just got done with my latest eye exam

good news: left eye: vision is roughly 20/25 ( the one that had the detached retina/macula at optic nerve ) with some linear distortions [ before incident, my vision in that eye was 20/25 ]

Right eye ( no problem 20/20 )

no knowing if the distortions are permanent or not, again eye can take 6 months or more for complete hearing

semi bad news - still have 10 % of the gas bubble still in the eye. Dr is sure that it will be completely gone in 10 -14 days. of course, it was suppose to be gone within 6 - 8 weeks of Feb 8.

if there is any bubble left, I cannot fly or change altitudes

so still planning on going to nephew's wedding May 8 in Arkansas and then flying to Yellowstone on May 14.

keeping fingers and everything else crossed.

thank you for your support

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
04-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #12253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
back in February, i used this thread to relate that I had suffered a detached retina and macula at the optic nerve in my left eye

well I have an UPDATE in case anyone is wondering that is going on:

just got done with my latest eye exam

good news: left eye: vision is roughly 20/25 ( the one that had the detached retina/macula at optic nerve ) with some linear distortions [ before incident, my vision in that eye was 20/25 ]

no knowing if the distortions are permanent or not, again eye can take 6 months or more for complete hearing

semi bad news - still have 10 % of the gas bubble still in the eye. Dr is sure that it will be completely gone in 10 -14 days. of course, it was suppose to be gone within 6 - 8 weeks of Feb 8.

if there is any bubble left, I cannot fly or change attitudes

so still planning on going to nephew's wedding May 8 in Arkansas and then flying to Yellowstone on May 14.

keeping fingers and everything else crossed.

thank you for your support
I suffered a full detachment in one eye and a bulge in the other eye about 32 years ago. It was no picnic then at a much younger age. I still have to be checked on every year and if I fall down, get hit, get in a car wreak, etc. I have massive floaters and maintain 20/25 or so in my worse eye myself. It made manual focus on DSLR's not a lot of fun so I tend to use focus peaking if that is needed and otherwise go AF. Hang in there sir. It's a bear at first getting used to this but you can live with it. I hope they can get that bubble to move along so your trip isn't disrupted.
04-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #12254
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's great, Allen... I'm very pleased to hear it

if there is any bubble left, I cannot fly or change attitudes
Can't change attitudes? So if you're in a good mood one day and cranky the next, that's not allowed?!
04-16-2018, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #12255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooh, hope that eye gets sorted out in time Aslyfox! Good luck!

I got a package today containing a K-1 ii and grip. Have not had time to open it yet. Looking forward to it when I get home!

Last edited by mattb123; 04-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.
« The Joke Thread | - »