Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #12946
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Surely you're not telling me people can tell the difference in the music sounds they make?
Much as I'm a lover of animals and it pains me to draw this comparison...

Imagine two entirely different cats are roundly perturbed, and make yowling, screeching sounds... I posit that you'd hear the difference in them.

So it is with bagpipes.

06-28-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #12947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
get a vintage set with silver and ivory
Doesn't the inclusion of Ivory present a trade issues with certain countries?
06-28-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #12948
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Doesn't the inclusion of Ivory present a trade issues with certain countries?
Pipes nowadays have imitation ivory (plastic). Vintage sets with real ivory can present problems at borders (and 'professional' pipers with their $10k plus pipes travel a lot), I think you need some sort of certificate. African Blackwood has recently been pronounced endangered possible resulting in issues at borders with legalities, especially since almost every single set of pipes is ABW.
06-28-2018, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #12949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I LIKE Bagpipes... they are amazing in some music.
Bagpipes can be thrilling. Bagpipes in a building or any closer than 5 miles (8 Km) are less than thrilling.

06-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #12950
Pentaxian

Not exactly a new acquisition - a while ago I got a Sigma 24-80 AF for Pentax that I thought wasn't working, but I've just tried it again and it's fine. Not entirely sure how that happened, I may have mixed it up with another lens, but good news anyway.
06-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #12951
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Not exactly a new acquisition - a while ago I got a Sigma 24-80 AF for Pentax that I thought wasn't working, but I've just tried it again and it's fine. Not entirely sure how that happened, I may have mixed it up with another lens, but good news anyway.
Hi Marcus
Good news
Maybe you could try it out shooting ( photographing ) some bag pipes since they seem to be the 'in' thing.

Dave
06-28-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #12952
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Marcus
Good news
Maybe you could try it out shooting some bag pipes (with really big guns) since they seem to be the 'in' thing.

Dave
Fixed it.

06-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #12953
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fixed it.
I was really trying to be nice Norm but that was my thought also,
.Do they make a bigger enough gun yet ?

Dave
06-28-2018, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #12954
Veteran Member

Ah the bagpipes.. I must admit that I don't mind the sound so much. After all, bagpipes have nothing on a colicky child... What I wonder though is does it say somewhere that bagpipers have to play the most boring tunes? Only a piper can stand in one place playing the same four notes for hours...
06-28-2018, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #12955
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Only a piper can stand in one place playing the same four notes for hours...
I would like to say that we have nine notes on our chanter

06-28-2018, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #12956
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
What I wonder though is does it say somewhere that bagpipers have to play the most boring tunes?
There are many many types of tunes.

Marches, Slow Marches, Hymns, Laments, Jigs, Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Piobaireachd, etc...
06-28-2018, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #12957
mee
Veteran Member

Whoever invented the term 'bagpipes' wasn't really creative.

Descriptive but not creative.

What if we called more things in the same manner? keyhammerstrings, blowholewindpipe, membraneovertub, etc..
06-28-2018, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #12958
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to say that we have nine notes on our chanter

My Northumbrian small pipes were fully chromatic over three octaves!!!!! Four notes!!! Harrumph

---------- Post added 06-28-18 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Whoever invented the term 'bagpipes' wasn't really creative.

Descriptive but not creative.

What if we called more things in the same manner? keyhammerstrings, blowholewindpipe, membraneovertub, etc..
My musical instruments were always called bitsofwoodormetalthatsoundslesslikemusicandmorelikeavendetta

---------- Post added 06-29-18 at 12:00 AM ----------

There are many many types of tunes.

Marches, Slow Marches, Hymns, Laments, Jigs, Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Piobaireachd, etc...
Horses for courses. I find some of the more self indulgent jazz tedious. I can appreciate the skill of the musicians but the music doesn't appeal. Also, in my opinion Rap is simply bad poetry and Sampling is pick and mix plaigurism. There are still great songwriters out therethough. The reason why you hear the same songs is because punters like things that are familiar. Like jazz, aspects of the repertoire can only be enjoyed by those that understand it and even then, take for example the hauntingly beautiful Piobaireachd (pronounced pee-brokh), they aren't always.
06-29-2018, 01:31 AM   #12959
Veteran Member

Pipes nowadays have imitation ivory (plastic). Vintage sets with real ivory can present problems at borders (and 'professional' pipers with their $10k plus pipes travel a lot), I think you need some sort of certificate. African Blackwood has recently been pronounced endangered possible resulting in issues at borders with legalities, especially since almost every single set of pipes is ABW.
Didn't know about ABW... my instrument has pegs and tailpiece of that material.
With bows it's much more complex than with violins... historically the list of materials used for decoration included ivory (at the tip), turtle and whalebone (baleen).
06-29-2018, 03:02 AM   #12960
Pentaxian

A few posts here to make sure that the K-1 raffle will happen ...

From the Labo Argentique ... new stuff to play around with. Came with a "thank you" card and a neat lil' sticker, too ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 06-29-2018 at 04:42 AM.