Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #13396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Stereo Adapter

I just received a Pentax Stereo Adapter I picked up on Ebay for less than US$20. It's marked for '55mm f1.8' and fits a 49mm lens, with a little set screw to hold it tight.

I hooked it up to an old M42 35mm F3.5 S-M-C Takumar, mounted it on my K5, and took some quick tests shots.

Here's what the adapter looks like, an image straight out the camera, and an anaglyph created in StereoPhotoMaker (dig out the old red/cyan glasses to view).

You're restricted to portrait mode, but hopefully I can find some good subjects to shoot. An inexpensive, fun toy to play with.

Fred.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
08-06-2018, 01:26 PM - 3 Likes   #13397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MeFOTO WalkAbout Air Aluminum Monopod (Orange) WAAIRORG B&H

7 business days to deliver... time is cruel. LOL
08-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #13398
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
MeFOTO WalkAbout Air Aluminum Monopod (Orange) WAAIRORG B&H

7 business days to deliver... time is cruel. LOL
That's a great price!
08-06-2018, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #13399
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

After months of "should I / shoudln't I" thinking, I finally ordered a Techart Pro LM-EA7 Leica M to Sony E-mount auto-focusing adapter for my A7 MkII. With suitable adapters, it'll allow me to use some of my LTM / L39, M39, M42, F and K-mount glass with AF, which should be a hoot. I say "some", because it's only specified to handle lenses up to 700g in weight. Furthermore, it only provides 4.5mm of back and forth movement, so longer focal length lenses will need to be pre-focused manually to get the AF mechanism in range. In fact, there's all kinds of compromises with this product, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and it's something I'll actually use - especially with my Soviet glass.

I've ordered three adapters to get me started - LTM / L39, M39 and M42. If it works out well, I may add F and K-mount adapters...

Everything is arriving at different times (from different suppliers), but I'm no rush

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.
08-06-2018, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #13400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
After months of "should I / shoudln't I" thinking, I finally ordered a Techart Pro LM-EA7 Leica M to Sony E-mount auto-focusing adapter for my A7 MkII. With suitable adapters, it'll allow me to use some of my LTM / L39, M39, M42, F and K-mount glass with AF, which should be a hoot. I say "some", because it's only specified to handle lenses up to 700g in weight. Furthermore, it only provides 4.5mm of back and forth movement, so longer focal length lenses will need to be pre-focused manually to get the AF mechanism in range. In fact, there's all kinds of compromises with this product, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and it's something I'll actually use - especially with my Soviet glass.

I've ordered three adapters to get me started - LTM / L39, M39 and M42. If it works out well, I may add F and K-mount adapters...

Everything is arriving at different times (from different suppliers), but I'm no rush
Have you seen this? Got a Fotodiox Pronto Pro For Sony A7ii - PentaxForums.com
08-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #13401
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks - and yes, I have

Looking around, I was able to source the Techart Pro with v6 firmware considerably cheaper than the Fotodiox Pronto Pro (I paid GBP 230 which is just under USD $300). That was one reason for going with Techart. But I was also a little conflicted that Fotodiox has blatently copied the Techart adapter - it even uses the same firmware and accepts Techart's firmware updates (for now, that is). I have other Fotodiox products, and they're generally good. I can understand them coming out with a competing product. That's fine, and I'd have been interested if it was an independent product, but I think it's a little naughty that they've (apparently) "stolen" the entire design, certainly in terms of firmware, and probably mechanically too, with just minor cosmetic differences
08-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #13402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks - and yes, I have

Looking around, I was able to source the Techart Pro with v6 firmware considerably cheaper than the Fotodiox Pronto Pro (I paid GBP 230 which is just under USD $300). That was one reason for going with Techart. But I was also a little conflicted that Fotodiox has blatently copied the Techart adapter - it even uses the same firmware and accepts Techart's firmware updates (for now, that is). I have other Fotodiox products, and they're generally good. I can understand them coming out with a competing product. That's fine, and I'd have been interested if it was an independent product, but I think it's a little naughty that they've (apparently) "stolen" the entire design, certainly in terms of firmware, and probably mechanically too, with just minor cosmetic differences
Is it possible it is licensed?

08-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #13403
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible it is licensed?
It's possible, but the anecdotal (and, admittedly, brief) online content I've read suggests that's not the case...

For example:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504638/0
08-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #13404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
I just received a Pentax Stereo Adapter I picked up on Ebay for less than US$20. It's marked for '55mm f1.8' and fits a 49mm lens, with a little set screw to hold it tight.

I hooked it up to an old M42 35mm F3.5 S-M-C Takumar, mounted it on my K5, and took some quick tests shots.

Here's what the adapter looks like, an image straight out the camera, and an anaglyph created in StereoPhotoMaker (dig out the old red/cyan glasses to view).

You're restricted to portrait mode, but hopefully I can find some good subjects to shoot. An inexpensive, fun toy to play with.

Fred.
FYI in case you do not know. You can get stereo viewers from bargain priced to outrageously expensive from geologic equipment suppliers and some school supply houses. The cheapies are for student use, the big ones (Topcon always made a a premium unit) with mirrors are for grad students and professionals. They are intended for viewing aerial stereophotos, so you place the prints on a table, the viewer over them, and look down in. It's best to have two separate photos so they can be shifted and rotated until they "gel." If you don't know or cannot find a website for a supplier, send me a PM and I'll get a couple for you.
08-07-2018, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13405
Pentaxian

I was in Cardiff for the weekend and went into a camera shop to have a look. They had quite a selection of new Pentax gear including some limiteds but I was really looking at the used gear section where I found a Vivitar 28mm f/2. I asked to have a look to see what mount it was and the price and was very pleased to find it was a K-mount and only £30. It's the Kiron version (55mm thread, the one not marked "MC"), I already own a copy of the Komine one. The only problem with it is a small amount of oil on the aperture blades, which is a very common problem and even if it needs to be cleaned at that price it's still not a bad purchase.

I still need to test it on digital to see how it performs, especially in comparison to the Komine, and to remove the extra-long flange that will prevent it being mounted on an AF Pentax body.

Got a few rolls of Tri-X too.
08-07-2018, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #13406
Pentaxian

Like I really need more 50s...

• Pentax F 50/1.4
  • Industar-61/3-MC
08-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #13407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote

Fred.
That's an excellent deal, even the cheapo plastic stereo adapters are usually horrendously expensive now. I used to do a fair amount of stereo photography years ago, but can't fuse stereo images easily any more - I have a creased cornea in one eye, fortunately not the dominant one, and anything I see with that eye looks slightly curved - so had to give up on it. Can't even watch films in 3D.
08-08-2018, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #13408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This S-M-C Takumar 24mm f/3.5 len arrived to today. The lens hood was already here waiting for it. If I had to do it over I might have gotten the K 24mm f/3.5 instead.

08-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #13409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
This S-M-C Takumar 24mm f/3.5 len arrived to today. The lens hood was already here waiting for it. If I had to do it over I might have gotten the K 24mm f/3.5 instead.

Any particular reason? Are you disappointed with the tak or is it just a convenience thing?
08-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #13410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Any particular reason? Are you disappointed with the tak or is it just a convenience thing?
More just the convenience of the K mount. I think the lenses are otherwise the same.