Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #14146
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Kinda silly question, what is an SMU?

not a silly question at all - it's a silly subject all the way around...

a while back, when shooting shots of new lenses, I needed a quick way to note how large (or small) a lens is; it started with the tiny DA 40 Limited...

it was cute:

mainly because the DA 40 is so small... but the SMU adventure quickly progressed:

until I got to the FA* 300/4.5:

but every lens I have has been subjected to this....

10-11-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #14147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This year's Canadian version, bought yesterday at my door. By the way, this is a new world's record. The box is STILL unopened.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-11-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #14148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
This year's Canadian version, bought yesterday at my door. By the way, this is a new world's record. The box is STILL unopened.

At our house they would be opened before the door even closed!
10-11-2018, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #14149
Pentaxian

Yesterday I picked up a good condition original square hood designed for the 28mm f/3.5 Takumar, but it should fit on any Pentax lens with a 49mm filter thread whose barrel extends a little beyond the focusing ring. I don't have the Takumar and my K 28/3.5 has a 52mm filter thread, but it should go nicely on the A 28/2.8 or either of my M series 35mm lenses.

It slots on then a ring is turned to lock on to the barrel. For €8 it was expensive for a hood but it looks cool.

10-12-2018, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #14150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New hood

I just received in the mail from Japan a new square (well, rectangular) hood PH-SA 67mm for my lens Pentax 67 105mm f 2.4.
10-12-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #14151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yesterday I picked up a good condition original square hood designed for the 28mm f/3.5 Takumar, but it should fit on any Pentax lens with a 49mm filter thread whose barrel extends a little beyond the focusing ring. I don't have the Takumar and my K 28/3.5 has a 52mm filter thread, but it should go nicely on the A 28/2.8 or either of my M series 35mm lenses.

It slots on then a ring is turned to lock on to the barrel. For €8 it was expensive for a hood but it looks cool.

The genuine Takumar hoods are quite expensive, so that was relatively cheap for them. Feel god about your buy.
10-12-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #14152
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Kinda silly question, what is an SMU?
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Standard Measurement Unit
This is a running joke in Pentax Forums. The girl guide cookie was stacked up to show the size of a lens by (I think) Pepperberry Farm some years ago, and was adopted by the rest of us.
when Pepperberry Farm posted a photo of two lenses with cookies stacked up in the middle, some wise guy said he would take the items in the middle

the SMU was born

discussion followed regarding whether they were cookies or biscuits and others have posted AMU [ alternative measuring units ] as well

SMU have been Girl Scouts Thin Mints, or similar products ( I use a Wal Mart copy ) and discussion on how to stack them for larger items have been held

10-12-2018, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #14153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After the pic you have to eat the cookies. So you can measure lba by waist size
10-12-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #14154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
After the pic you have to eat the cookies. So you can measure lba by waist size
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a while back, when shooting shots of new lenses, I needed a quick way to note how large (or small) a lens is; it started with the tiny DA 40 Limited...

it was cute:
Asking the real questions - do the cookies/biscuits get devoured after the shots, or are they themselves stored back until the next shooting (making them an actual instrument of measurement).
10-12-2018, 09:28 AM - 4 Likes   #14155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Asking the real questions - do the cookies/biscuits get devoured after the shots, or are they themselves stored back until the next shooting (making them an actual instrument of measurement).
I do believe that the most common treatment is devour after taking the picture. I find it difficult (as does one other above, I notice, where they don't make it past the door) to leave them uneaten for any space of time at all. There is one person on the list who freezes them and re-uses them. Weird.
10-12-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #14156
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I store mine in the freezer

darn diet [ type II diabetic ]
10-12-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #14157
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

some get eaten, some go back into the fridge... these are not in the house solely as measuring devices...
10-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #14158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have the Prakticar version and it is excellent.
Hope you get yours working.

Chris
Unfortunately the cleaning revealed that there's fungus inside, so I listed it "as is" for spares on Thursday. Already past £11 with more than a week to go.

And I've just found someone selling a Tamron 70-300 in Nikon AF mount (allegedly) for £15 inc P&P and ordered it. Fingers crossed it'll turn out to be worthwhile.
10-12-2018, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #14159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I store mine in the freezer

darn diet [ type II diabetic ]

Mrs Tim recently got that. Is managing it with diet so far. Soon to get a six month test after the test where she surprised the doctor with the results. Now, if she eats something outside what she should she very quickly feels symptoms she had suffered for years before but not recognised.

Since she cooks, my diet has changed to match, although less extreme. I get effects like sleeping better.

Since I am not qualified to give advice on such things I will not give details on an open forum.
10-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #14160
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Mrs Tim recently got that. Is managing it with diet so far. Soon to get a six month test after the test where she surprised the doctor with the results. Now, if she eats something outside what she should she very quickly feels symptoms she had suffered for years before but not recognised.

Since she cooks, my diet has changed to match, although less extreme. I get effects like sleeping better.

Since I am not qualified to give advice on such things I will not give details on an open forum.
good luck to her