Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 05:52 AM - 3 Likes   #14191
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just ordered a new laptop PC.

I bought my current laptop, an HP ENVY 17, about six years ago. It's a nice machine that I've upgraded slightly over the years... has an i7-4700MQ processor, 16GB RAM, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, and an OK-ish 17" screen. It's quite fast, ran Windows 10 / Lightroom very well, and now runs Linux Mint 18.3, digiKam, Darktable and GIMP really well. However, within two or three years of ownership, the screen hinge anchor points inside the case started to crumble, resulting in the case gradually coming apart (a common problem with this model, and a known design flaw). I've repaired it twice using epoxy, but those repairs have started to deteriorate again. Other aspects of the machine are showing significant signs of wear too... which I guess is to be expected, given that I've used it for several hours almost every single day since I bought it. I haven't treated it badly, but I haven't babied it either

After some weeks of deliberation - mostly financially-driven (as I've had some significant home maintenance costs lately) - I've finally ordered a new machine. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted from the major brands, and the closest I could get from Dell was way too expensive for my budget. So, I went to one of the more reputable custom PC manufacturers here in the UK and configured the machine I wanted at a much lower price. I haven't gone crazy with the specification - it was a case of building something with good performance, at a manageable price that I won't feel bad about if I should have to replace it in another five or six years (hopefully it will last at least that long, maybe longer).

Here's what I've configured:

17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC / 100% sRGB LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™ i7 8750H Six Core Processor (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo) with Cooler Master "Mastergel Maker" thermal compound
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4GB GDDR5 Video RAM)
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
2TB Seagate FireCuda 2.5" SSHD
Integrated 6 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Gigabit LAN & wireless INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) + BlueTooth 5.0
1 x USB 3.1 Type C, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI, 2 x Mini Display Port
RGB backlit keyboard (I'd rather have had non-backlit, but it wasn't an option... I'll just leave the backlighting switched off)
3 Year Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs

Should be here in about a week, give or take a day or two (I'm in no rush, as this HP is still running fine... I just can't open and close the screen ). I'll be installing Linux Mint 19 and I'm hoping I won't run into too many problems with drivers, since all of the components are quite common and well-supported by now... Fingers crossed

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-16-2018 at 07:43 AM.
10-16-2018, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #14192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Well, this is a sample taken from the 35mm (X-post from bridges thread):
Nice pic!
It seems quite sharp, and I like the starbursts.
Good catch!

Cheers
Paolo
10-16-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #14193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've just ordered a new laptop PC.

I bought my current laptop, an HP ENVY 17, about six years ago. It's a nice machine that I've upgraded slightly over the years... has an i7-4700MQ processor, 16GB RAM, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, and an OK-ish 17" screen. It's quite fast, ran Windows 10 / Lightroom very well, and now runs Linux Mint 18.3, digiKam, Darktable and GIMP really well. However, within two or three years of ownership, the screen hinge anchor points inside the case started to crumble, resulting in the case gradually coming apart (a common problem with this model, and a known design flaw). I've repaired it twice using epoxy, but those repairs have started to deteriorate again. Other aspects of the machine are showing significant signs of wear too... which I guess is to be expected, given that I've used it for several hours almost every single day since I bought it. I haven't treated it badly, but I haven't babied it either

After some weeks of deliberation - mostly financially-driven (as I've had some significant home maintenance costs lately) - I've finally ordered a new machine. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted from the major brands, and the closest I could get from Dell was way too expensive for my budget. So, I went to one of the more reputable custom PC manufacturers here in the UK and configured the machine I wanted at a much lower price. I haven't gone crazy with the specification - it was a case of building something with good performance, at a manageable price that I won't feel bad about if I should have to replace it in another five or six years (hopefully it will last at least that long, maybe longer).

Here's what I've configured:

17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC / 100% sRGB LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™ i7 8750H Six Core Processor (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo) with Cooler Master "Mastergel Maker" thermal compound
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4GB GDDR5 Video RAM)
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
2TB Seagate FireCuda 2.5" SSHD
Integrated 6 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Gigabit LAN & wireless INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) + BlueTooth 5.0
1 x USB 3.1 Type C, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI, 2 x Mini Display Port
RGB backlit keyboard (I'd rather have had non-backlit, but it wasn't an option... I'll just leave the backlighting switched off)
3 Year Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs

Should be here in about a week, give or take a day or two (I'm in no rush, as this HP is still running fine... I just can't open and close the screen ). I'll be installing Linux Mint 19 and I'm hoping I won't run into too many problems with drivers, since all of the components are quite common and well-supported by now... Fingers crossed
Boo... Intel and Nvidia
10-16-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #14194
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Boo... Intel and Nvidia
Well, as I mentioned, it's built to a price

Actually, I'm very happy with Intel's i7-8750H as the CPU. PassMark shows a combined benchmark of 12,539 versus 7,694 for my existing i7-4700MQ, and with lower power usage. I should see noticeable performance improvement from that alone.

NVIDIA cards were the only choices for this company's laptop models, and the GTX 1050 Ti was a good compromise on performance vs price. Way better than the GT 740M in my old machine. Plus, it's well-supported on Ubuntu and derivatives.

The Intel SSD was a cost-cutting choice over the better-performing but more expensive Samsung 970 EVO - but performance is still very decent, and it comes with a good warranty and reputation. It should speed up both the OS and applications considerably versus the 2TB Seagate Barracuda 5,400rpm HDD I'm currently using.

Similarly, the 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD was a cost-cutting choice over the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD that I'd have preferred. But since this will mostly be used for file storage rather than OS and applications, I'm OK with HDD / SSHD performance levels, especially considering the saving. It should be more-or-less equivalent to my Seagate Barracuda... quicker for some things, slower for others, but mostly quite similar.

With these and a few other economies, I got the price down to under GBP £1,100 (USD $1,450) including VAT and delivery. For the UK, that's a cheap laptop considering the specification

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-16-2018 at 10:53 AM.
10-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #14195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, as I mentioned, it's built to a price

Actually, I'm very happy with Intel's i7-8750H as the CPU. PassMark shows a combined benchmark of 12,539 versus 7,694 for my existing i7-4700MQ, and with lower power usage. I should see noticeable performance improvement from that alone.

NVIDIA cards were the only choices for this company's laptop models, and the GTX 1050 Ti was a good compromise on performance vs price. Way better than the GT 740M in my old machine. Plus, it's well-supported on Ubuntu and derivatives.

The Intel SSD was a cost-cutting choice over the better-performing but more expensive Samsung 970 EVO - but performance is still very decent, and it comes with a good warranty and reputation. It should speed up both the OS and applications considerably versus the 2TB Seagate Barracuda 5,400rpm HDD I'm currently using.

Similarly, the 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD was a cost-cutting choice over the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD that I'd have preferred. But since this will mostly be used for file storage rather than OS and applications, I'm OK with HDD / SSHD performance levels, especially considering the saving. It should be more-or-less equivalent to my Seagate Barracuda... quicker for some things, slower for others, but mostly quite similar.

With these and a few other economies, I got the price down to under GBP £1,100 (USD $1,450) including VAT and delivery. For the UK, that's a cheap laptop considering the specification
I'm moreso booing the fact that laptops are so difficult to get with AMD chips

Anyway, sounds nice.
10-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #14196
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm moreso booing the fact that laptops are so difficult to get with AMD chips
Yeah, it's a while since I shopped for a laptop and I was a little surprised that so few of the big brands and smaller bespoke systems builders offer AMD chipsets... or if they do, the choice is very limited.

Is the Ryzen 7 Pro 2700U the highest spec mobile CPU that AMD offers right now? I think it is, and if so, it seems to lag behind Intel on performance overall. PassMark shows the AMD processor to be slightly below the current generation Intel i5-8300H - which I guess makes sense given the quad-core architecture. Mind you, the AMD is incredibly efficient when you look at power consumption. That's pretty amazing performance for such a measly power requirement, and a huge advantage for battery life. The integrated Radeon Vega 10 graphics is supposed to be quite capable too.

EDIT: In fact, looking at benchmarks the Radeon Vega 10 graphics can outperform the discrete GeForce GT 740M in my current HP - which is more than good enough for things like Lightroom and Darktable. So a Ryzen 7 Pro 2700U laptop should make for quite a nice photography post-processing solution.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
10-16-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #14197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a nicely specked rig!
10-17-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #14198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Minolta Autocord L. Excellent Rokkor f3.5 lens, the evergreen Tessar formula. Seikosha shutter. This is the model with the selenium exposure meter, (operating!) which uses an "interesting" implementation of the LV system. I'll use my hand held meter, thank you! My Autocord has been "rebuilt" with new leather, full CLA, shutter spot on, focus smooth (the focus lever is a weak point on these lovely boxes), clean lenses and VF. It looks like a decades old camera kept in a showcase, few use marks. Sadly the eveready case is pretty rough. I may attempt a re-sew job.

10-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #14199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Minolta Maxxum 5

Ebay buy, Minolta Maxxum 5 with Minolta AF Zoom 28-80 f 3.5-5.0. Needs batteries, $15 on eBay.
10-17-2018, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #14200
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 300

Thanks Andrew

Dave
10-17-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #14201
Pentaxian

A recent splurge has arrived

Sigma EX 105mm f/2.8 macro
Vivitar (Tokina) TX mount (with M42 adapter fitted) 105mm f/2.8 (not macro)
Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 macro in M42 mount
10-18-2018, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #14202
Pentaxian

Found for a good price an old Soligor G/S f/5.6 400mm. Made by Sun in 1982.
The only pity is the PK mount, a PKA would have been better.
I like the tripod collar and the sliding hood.
Anybody out there owns an identical one?

10-18-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #14203

Awaiting arrival of a Tokina ATX SD 80-200 2.8
Won on a online auction fo $120 plus $13 shipping
10-18-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #14204
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Received all of the eBay stuff I mentioned earlier in the week, all in good condition except for slight dust in the Nikon 50/1.8 and shutter speed variation in the Exa - not worried about the latter because I've bought it to test lenses on before I take trial pictures with an adapter on my Eos.

There was a surprise extra with the more modern stuff - two rechargeable CR2 batteries and a charger. I was actually thinking about buying one last week, VERY glad I didn't! Unfortunately it doesn't take CR123 batteries too, which would have been very useful, but I don't seem to need them for tests nearly so often.

And the Rollei adapter for Eos also arrived, unfortunately it turns out that one of the lenses I have has an aperture fault I should have spotted, the other isn't actually Rollei, it's something unidentified with a very similar mount, I think Konica but I'm not sure. Oh well, it'll be useful in the future I hope.
10-18-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #14205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got a Bronica SQ lens today. Here's one of my first shots on my K3. Sharp with nice colors. One study rated the bokeh on this lens super high.

[IMG][/IMG]