Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #14251
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picked up a used DA12-24 which arrived last night. Seems to be in good shape and came with a protective filter that had done its job (and will be retired by me). First lens purchase in 4 years.

10-23-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #14252
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Picked up a used DA12-24 which arrived last night. Seems to be in good shape and came with a protective filter that had done its job (and will be retired by me). First lens purchase in 4 years.
You have shown much restraint for a member of this forum...... if only I had that sort of will power.
10-23-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #14253

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlthellama Quote
You have shown much restraint for a member of this forum...... if only I had that sort of will power.
I'm currently having trouble getting past 4 weeks without a new lens purchase. :S (Mind you, I'm currently in the arsenal building phase of SLR photography and haven't had a "Why do you need this when you already have that?" moment yet.)
10-23-2018, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #14254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlthellama Quote
You have shown much restraint
= insufficient discretionary cash.

10-23-2018, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #14255
Veteran Member

OK, my Minolta XG-M arrived today. This camera and lens looks brand freaking new, even the protective film on bottom plate looks unmarred. I tossed some batteries in her and did a quick check of meter and everything thing seems to check out as of now. The XG-M is the flagship of the XG line, the X-700 used the same basic body as the M.

I also received a Minolta flash that is not pictured. It was a steal of a deal @ 20.00 USD. Thanks eBay!

10-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #14256
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DrMindbender Quote
I'm currently having trouble getting past 4 weeks without a new lens purchase. :S (Mind you, I'm currently in the arsenal building phase of SLR photography and haven't had a "Why do you need this when you already have that?" moment yet.)
I have learned to ignore that voice in my head when I am purchasing 30th 50mm or my 10th 28mm.
10-23-2018, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #14257
Pentaxian

GKJR Katana Junior Gimbal Head Telephoto Lens Side Mount

I bought one last year, and it is rather impressive. Unfortunately caught the eye of a sticky finger thief who took it, my tripod, my k1 and a bunch of lenses. I got all except the tripod and gimbal back with minor damage, a broken lens hood on my da*300. I replaced the tripod, and used my old gimbal for a year. Should see it tomorrow. I will do something unspeakable to it to make it ugly.

10-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #14258
Pentaxian

Where have you been, Robert?! Nice to see you participating once again. Thought maybe you left the Pentax family.

10-24-2018, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #14259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Where have you been, Robert?! Nice to see you participating once again. Thought maybe you left the Pentax family.
Good to see a familiar name around this old place Brian! I'm still shooting the K3 & K5iis. Hope you're doing well.
10-24-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #14260
Pentaxian

Good to see a familiar name around this old place Brian! I'm still shooting the K3 & K5iis. Hope you're doing well.
Doing great, thanks. I look forward to reading more of your posts/contributions to this forum, and am curious to hear your experience shooting with the DA 12-24. I have thought about getting that lens for a long time but ended up getting a good deal on a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. I sold my Tamron 10-24 a while ago because it wasn't that sharp wide-open. The Sigma is definitely very usable wide-open and I'm happy with the sharpness. I also like the 10mm end but wish it zoomed to 24mm like my old Tamron (and your new lens).
10-24-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #14261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Doing great, thanks. I look forward to reading more of your posts/contributions to this forum, and am curious to hear your experience shooting with the DA 12-24. I have thought about getting that lens for a long time but ended up getting a good deal on a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. I sold my Tamron 10-24 a while ago because it wasn't that sharp wide-open. The Sigma is definitely very usable wide-open and I'm happy with the sharpness. I also like the 10mm end but wish it zoomed to 24mm like my old Tamron (and your new lens).
I, too, am selling off my Tam 10-24 for the same reason. Loss of 2mm in exchange for sharpness and better colors seems a good-enough trade for me. I'll be taking it out for a spin in about 10 days for an all-day event so we'll see how much I like it then. I just could not pass up the deal on the DA12-24 and hope to come out of it costing about $100 to upgrade.
10-24-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #14262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I, too, am selling off my Tam 10-24 for the same reason. Loss of 2mm in exchange for sharpness and better colors seems a good-enough trade for me. I'll be taking it out for a spin in about 10 days for an all-day event so we'll see how much I like it then. I just could not pass up the deal on the DA12-24 and hope to come out of it costing about $100 to upgrade.
I have the DA 12-24 and it may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but for the sizes I use, it's plenty good enough. I find the field of view range (on my K-3) fits most of my walk around needs. I have been known in a park to have just the DA 12-24 and DA 55-300 with me, and never have a really pressing need for anything else. My 3 lens kit adds the FA 100/2.8 macro.
10-24-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #14263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax SV, from an eBay seller in Japan:

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-24-2018 at 06:01 PM.
10-24-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #14264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was a happy camper yesterday. I thought I had lost the front cap for my M 400, but found it in the book case. I have no idea how it got there*, but I surely am happy I don't have to track one down. That's a big hunk of glass on the front end and old faithful wouldn't be as faithful with a scratch.

* I am a charter member of the Hereafter Club. That's those of us (of many ages, apparently) who stand in the kitchen saying to themselves "Now, what the #$%^# was I here after?"
I misplaced the flash shoe cover for my K10D for something like three years (I’m sort of anal about the little plastic bits). One day it magically appeared in the center of my dresser top. I had not cleaned or moved anything and mrs. monochrome swore she had not found it on the floor and put it up there or something. It’s still a mystery how it got there.
10-24-2018, 03:57 PM - 4 Likes   #14265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I misplaced the flash shoe cover for my K10D for something like three years (I’m sort of anal about the little plastic bits). One day it magically appeared in the center of my dresser top. I had not cleaned or moved anything and mrs. monochrome swore she had not found it on the floor and put it up there or something. It’s still a mystery how it got there.
You know that if you talk about the wee folk they stop coming round.....