Compared to a 'Florida' avocado and my Komine Viv 55/2.8

12-08-2018, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #14807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
This' my newest baby - Sigma 50/2.8 Macro MF - cool fellah

Congratulations on new lens. Very imaginative use of Florida avocado as measuring standard. I do not believe this will replace the cookie standard because of the varying size of a natural product such as avocados. :>)
12-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #14808
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

congrats -. I'll be curious as to how the Sigma compares to the Vivitar...
12-08-2018, 03:41 AM   #14809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
You know the moto : if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Well ... the moto is right ! The lens is full of fungus ! I will try to CLA it, but i never really done it so ...
Where's the fungus ... rear elements or front ... or both? I could try to CLA it if you want ... Salut, J

12-08-2018, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #14810
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma looks a lot cleaner that the Komine. Hope the images are "cleaner" as well.
12-08-2018, 05:31 AM   #14811
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Where's the fungus ... rear elements or front ... or both? I could try to CLA it if you want ... Salut, J
Well, fungus seems to be on every layer of glass ! I'm going to take pictures of it, and ask for a return. Despite the fungus, the lens in itself is in very good condition, and rendering is good.
12-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #14812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A mixed bag from today's car boot sale - the good was a nice clean Nikon F75 with a 28-100 3.5-5.6 AF lens for 20. The less good was a Zenit 11 with three lenses, also for 20, but unfortunately all very damp - I'm drying them out on a radiator now: Helios 44M-4, currently misty and wouldn't stop down at first, but just started to work, provided the damp isn't hiding fungus I think it will be OK once dry. Helios 135-2.8, one of the Japanese ones, which again I think it will be OK. Prinz Galaxy manual 300/5.6 T-mount lens, definite fungus and the rear element is badly milky, a common fault with these lenses. And the body itself is working apart from the meter, unfortunately that probably means it's unsellable. I've thrown away the canvas case they were in, and a flash that was full of corrosion.
12-08-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #14813

Well, the m42 adapter arrived. It was around 3-4mm thicker than it should, but nothing that a Dremel and an intensive clean couldn't do.

The 135mm Photax-Paragon prime behaved well ♥

12-08-2018, 07:44 PM - 3 Likes   #14814
Pentaxian

Epifanes Gloss Marine Varnish. They aren't kidding about gloss. I either have to knock down the shine or only canoe on cloudy days.

12-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #14815
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Epifanes Gloss Marine Varnish. They aren't kidding about gloss. I either have to knock down the shine or only canoe on cloudy days.
Looks beautiful though! Does it float?
12-08-2018, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #14816
Pentaxian

It would definitely fill with water right now, because there are 5/32" gaps between all the planks. It floats like that, because it's mostly cedar which floats well. I have to put canvas on it, then fill the canvas with a mixture of silica and linseed oil, then paint, before it's waterproof (if I do it right). Maybe April.

(I was watching a boat restoration video where the restorer said he tells people it'll be done in two years, no matter how much progress he makes. "Which means I will definitely launch early!")
12-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #14817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I do not believe this will replace the cookie standard because of the varying size of a natural product such as avocados.
I do not think there ever be a cookie standard replacement... but very sadly, and for some odd reason, I never find myself with cookies in the house!

---------- Post added 12-09-18 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how the Sigma compares to the Vivitar...
They are quite similar actually. Preliminary testing (no interesting subject yet) shows similarities in colors and sharpness... Now, these preliminary testings also show that the Sigma handles like no other lens in my possession (but for infinity), ultra easy to achieve focus. It does have issues at infinity - it goes over I believe by a tiny bit.
12-09-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #14818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kitchen sink installed. TWICE!!!!!!!!!!! Installer send by the home improvements store totally botched the job and I let him leave without arguing about it.

1) The drain he designed was "interesting" . He used magic pipes where water can run up hill etc.
2) Never clamped the sink to the countertop because it was "Snug enough" and the little silicone putty he did use would hold it in place good enough.
3) Never put and sealant along the whole back edge of the sink.
4) Bent the channels that are supposed to hold the clamps in place. In doing this to make the sink "fit" he bent the sink a little.
5) Installed the strainers wrong with the gasket the top side of the sink instead of using plumbers putty which he says is not used anymore. This meant that the strainers were too high for the sink to drain completely.

So early the next morning I went to the big box store and demanded my installation money back and actually got it. For some reason they did not seem surprised. Then after I got home I did what I should have done in the first place and called a reputable plumber. He came out and reinstalled the sink. Cost me $100 more but it is properly done and working.

Too bad "Old Rupert" is gone. I'd have paid him to fly up and do it. Then we could taken some photos of Yankee squirrels from our sunroom.

Last edited by gaweidert; 12-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.
12-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #14819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a couple of the paragraphs I thought you weren't going to complain to the box store. I hear of many people who just accept trashy performance and do not even go so far as to complain.

I'm sure Rupert would have enjoyed the trip and the different squirrels, although I'm sure Otis would have been very jealous.
12-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #14820
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Kitchen sink installed. TWICE!!!!!!!!!!! Installer send by the home improvements store totally botched the job and I let him leave without arguing about it.

1) The drain he designed was "interesting" . He used magic pipes where water can run up hill etc.
2) Never clamped the sink to the countertop because it was "Snug enough" and the little silicone putty he did use would hold it in place good enough.
3) Never put and sealant along the whole back edge of the sink.
4) Bent the channels that are supposed to hold the clamps in place. In doing this to make the sink "fit" he bent the sink a little.
5) Installed the strainers wrong with the gasket the top side of the sink instead of using plumbers putty which he says is not used anymore. This meant that the strainers were too high for the sink to drain completely.

So early the next morning I went to the big box store and demanded my installation money back and actually got it. For some reason they did not seem surprised. Then after I got home I did what I should have done in the first place and called a reputable plumber. He came out and reinstalled the sink. Cost me $100 more but it is properly done and working.

Too bad "Old Rupert" is gone. I'd have paid him to fly up and do it. Then we could taken some photos of Yankee squirrels from our sunroom.
Never been employed as a plumber, but I have done enough plumbing that my work would pass as journeyman level quality.

And I would be delighted to fill in for our dear departed Rupert.

But at the moment I am disabled while the recent surgery to my right foot heals.