Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #14896
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What did you drop on your foot?!
A one litre glass jug of MoviPrep, Steve. That's why he uses a plastic one now...

12-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #14897
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What did you drop on your foot?!

Steve
Just me.

Read all about it here.

By the way, everyone asks what causes the conditions I have had the foot surgeries for. The doctors think it is largely hereditary, but aren't sure.

I am the only one on either side of my family that has had this condition, so it isn't genetic.

Part of it is due to a lifetime of working mostly on my feet, and most recently in an industrial environment with steel decking, concrete floors, stairs, steps, ladders and all manner of uneven surfaces.
12-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #14898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

V-A-V feet. I've always had a problem with my feet because I have no arch whatever. I can remember these flat feet causing so much discomfort in my lower legs when I was four or five years old that I needed a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel against the soles of my feet to get to sleep. More recently a new twist has developed. My big toes have turned outward, the left one so far that it goes under the second toe and makes contact with the third toe. Through my middle years the lower leg pain caused by walking on flat feet abated and only bothered me if I were on my feet for many hours during the day. But in the last decade or so I experience sometimes tooth-gnashing pain as soon as we set out on our daily dog-walk, and experience shots of pain with essentially every step.
12-14-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #14899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Me too.

I did find that two years ago, while recovering from similar surgery to the left foot, I went through physical therapy, then work conditioning, and finally work hardening. The work conditioning was mostly like walking around, balance and repetitive stuff. The work hardening started out where that left off, and became very rigorous at the end. I was in better shape than when I got out of high school, and close to the weight I was then.

The better degree of fitness, coupled with a dramatic change in diet a few years ago, have caused me to feel much better than I expected to at this age. People notice the difference too, commenting on appearance and such.
Fitness is important, that's for sure. During the past couple of years I've got into walking, actually at an indoor track. Before the track I tried walking on the street, but where I live, lots of cold, hard ice and snow...long winters ( 5 -5 1/2 months) and it gets pretty slippery. I've taken a fall or two.

In the summer was nailed by a couple of bicycles over the years, while walking on the sidewalk. The track is great...no hits...no misses...no falls...just a secure place to take a walk.

I've lost a few pounds, but still could stand to lose a few more. I'm at about 235...docs feel that I should be around 220-225 lbs...given my height and frame. That's my goal and you're also right about changing diet...all that stuff contributes to feeling better.

12-14-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #14900
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
V-A-V feet. I've always had a problem with my feet because I have no arch whatever. I can remember these flat feet causing so much discomfort in my lower legs when I was four or five years old that I needed a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel against the soles of my feet to get to sleep. More recently a new twist has developed. My big toes have turned outward, the left one so far that it goes under the second toe and makes contact with the third toe. Through my middle years the lower leg pain caused by walking on flat feet abated and only bothered me if I were on my feet for many hours during the day. But in the last decade or so I experience sometimes tooth-gnashing pain as soon as we set out on our daily dog-walk, and experience shots of pain with essentially every step.
Sympathy is extended. Chronic pain, whatever the cause, is never a good thing.
12-14-2018, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #14901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR, acquired free in holiday giveaway in another photo forum

Chris
12-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #14902
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I feel your pain Walt.

Through all the treatment and medical procedures thus far on my feet, I have found that ice and stretching is very beneficial, and continues to be so as I adjust to the hardware. I have a couple of those large gel type ice packs like the physical therapy offices use, and 20 minutes or so makes a big difference.

12-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #14903
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris

Free is good! Congratulations.
12-14-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #14904
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I feel your pain Walt.

Through all the treatment and medical procedures thus far on my feet, I have found that ice and stretching is very beneficial, and continues to be so as I adjust to the hardware. I have a couple of those large gel type ice packs like the physical therapy offices use, and 20 minutes or so makes a big difference.

Sometimes now, after a particularly busy day or epecially when we're vacationing and spending much more time on our feet that usual, I have sufficient leg pain to have difficulty falling asleep. Either an Aleve, taken at least an hour before, or a Tylenol PM helps a lot, but I hate using either and avoid doing so unless absolutely necessary. I suspect the rare usage contributes to their efficacy when I do need one..
12-14-2018, 06:40 PM - 4 Likes   #14905
Veteran Member

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of these for years. Just never pulled the trigger, until now.

Sadly its been rainy and overcast and they predict more of the same for the next few days......

But at least I got it calibrated!

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
12-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #14906
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Really a great little camera Chris
12-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #14907
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What a couple of wimps. It just got UP to 30º F (-1º C) a few minutes ago. We have over 8 inches (20 cm) of white stuff on the driveway, road, sidewalk, house and soon, me.
Out here in Arizona it is a high of 72° and people dress like they're going on an artic expedition.
12-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #14908
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlthellama Quote
Out here in Arizona it is a high of 72° and people dress like they're going on an artic expedition.
Last time I was in Arizona it was 116o and people acted like it was a pleasant summer day.

.;
12-15-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #14909
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Last time I was in Arizona it was 116o and people acted like it was a pleasant summer day.

.;
That is a pleasant summer day
12-15-2018, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #14910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"But it's a dry heat..."

Chris

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

.;