Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #14941
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 477
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I like idiots, especially the ones who can't spell manfrotto 3 way head listed as manfotto so I got it for £12
Excellent!

Today was the last car boot sale of the year, so I splurged a bit

Nikon F55 with 28-100 3.5-5.6G AF Nikkor, all working well - £20
Cimko 135/2.8 M42 auto with a skylight filter and caps - £10 - under the magnifier I can see some fungus in the front element which is annoying, but it looks like it can be cleaned with a bit of care.
and three HUGE projector / spotlight lenses for £20:
Vega 3.6/325, probably from an early video projector
Aldis Anastigmat 35mm f/4, I'm guessing it's from an epidiascope
and an EdnaLite spotlight lens (I think) that has an iris, looks to be about 250mm f4.5
There's a lot of people messing around with old projector lenses for lomography, they ought to sell fairly well.

I have a very cheap job of lenses to come, otherwise no more acquisitions until 2019.

12-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #14942
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,833
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Excellent!

Today was the last car boot sale of the year, so I splurged a bit

Nikon F55 with 28-100 3.5-5.6G AF Nikkor, all working well - £20
Cimko 135/2.8 M42 auto with a skylight filter and caps - £10 - under the magnifier I can see some fungus in the front element which is annoying, but it looks like it can be cleaned with a bit of care.
and three HUGE projector / spotlight lenses for £20:
Vega 3.6/325, probably from an early video projector
Aldis Anastigmat 35mm f/4, I'm guessing it's from an epidiascope
and an EdnaLite spotlight lens (I think) that has an iris, looks to be about 250mm f4.5
There's a lot of people messing around with old projector lenses for lomography, they ought to sell fairly well.

I have a very cheap job of lenses to come, otherwise no more acquisitions until 2019.
I love how we use the English language:

boot sale

garage sale

yard sale


but no one reports buying boots, garages or yards at those events
12-22-2018, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #14943
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,792
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I love how we use the English language:

boot sale

garage sale

yard sale


but no one reports buying boots, garages or yards at those events
Those phrases rate right up there with "honest politician"
12-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #14944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,806
There are also:

rummage sales
jumble sales

Our house needs neither of those, but sometimes we could use something from a


clearance sale.

12-22-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #14945
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,891
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Those phrases rate right up there with "honest politician"
“Happily married”
12-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #14946
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,806
And all those "save money by spending with our credit card."
12-22-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #14947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 330
Samyang 20mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.4
Pentax smc K 50mm f1.4
Just need some time to try them out now.
12-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #14948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Those phrases rate right up there with "honest politician"
I've actually seen some of those British boot sales. It will look strange to the American eye, but there are actually lines of cars, all with their trunks (boots) open offering various items for sale.

12-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #14949
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,030
As an American boots sales were funny because of the name. A boot is what goes on your tire when illegally parked. The trunk is the back of the car. I sold my stuff at a boot sale when leaving the uk.
Pics of American car boot. https://www.google.com/search?q=car+booted&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFn5jkqbTfAhVKWq0KHSIOBaIQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=560

Last edited by swanlefitte; 12-22-2018 at 04:37 PM.
12-22-2018, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #14950
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 477
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
three HUGE projector / spotlight lenses for £20:
Vega 3.6/325, probably from an early video projector
Aldis Anastigmat 35mm f/4, I'm guessing it's from an epidiascope
and an EdnaLite spotlight lens (I think) that has an iris, looks to be about 250mm f4.5
Small error - the Aldis is 350mm f/4, not 35mm, and I think the EdnaLite lens is about 150mm f3 now I've tried focusing an image. I need to do this in daylight to get a precise measurement

Photo - the can is to show scale



QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I've actually seen some of those British boot sales. It will look strange to the American eye, but there are actually lines of cars, all with their trunks (boots) open offering various items for sale.
Next time I go to one (won't be until the middle of next month) I'll try to remember to take photos to show what they're like.
12-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #14951
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,833
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
As an American. . . . A boot is what goes on your tire when illegally parked. The trunk is the back of the car. I sold my stuff at a boot sale when leaving the uk.
Pics of American car boot.car booted - Google Search
I am an American and funny I wear my boots

various types, hiking, cow boy, dress

all boots
12-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #14952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,444
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I am an American and funny I wear my boots

various types, hiking, cow boy, dress

all boots
The British word for car trunk is boot. Funny, but that expression used to be common in the U.S. as well, and I recall it being used in late 1940s and early 1950s, but no more. Don't know the etiology of the word, but possibly what was in that part of the car was extra, i.e., something to boot. The use of the word trunk seems more straightforward as many of the early cars actually had a boxy trunk fixed with canvas straps on the back of the vehicle.
12-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #14953
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,833
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
The British word for car trunk is boot. Funny, but that expression used to be common in the U.S. as well, and I recall it being used in late 1940s and early 1950s, but no more. Don't know the etiology of the word, but possibly what was in that part of the car was extra, i.e., something to boot. The use of the word trunk seems more straightforward as many of the early cars actually had a boxy trunk fixed with canvas straps on the back of the vehicle.
yeah I was aware that the boot of a car meant trunk for the Brits

but is that what they called the " trunk " area of a VW Bug ?
12-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #14954
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,657
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
yeah I was aware that the boot of a car meant trunk for the Brits

but is that what they called the " trunk " area of a VW Bug ?
It is a Frunk in an old style bug and the Toyota MR 2
12-22-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #14955
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,806
According to WIKIPEDIA, the term "boot" for what what is called the "trunk" of a car in the USA comes from a term used on horse-drawn carriages. Originally the "boot" of a carriage was where the driver sat, but later the driver was repositioned and the "boot" of the carriage was used for storage (primarily luggage) and that usage was carried over to automobiles.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
addicts, canon, chinon, collection, forum, fun, jp, length, lens, lenses, life, m305, mine, pentax, performer, portraits, post, ps, rikenon, salut, shot, six, smc, sound, stitch, store, takumar, tammy, tamron, thread, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recent acquisition [pics + question] irishwhite Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 03-09-2010 08:59 AM
DA 55-300mm F4-F5.8 - New acquisition! legacyb4 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 09-27-2009 03:13 PM
Body acquisition overachievement - what to sell? grainbelt Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 02-16-2009 11:42 PM
Suggestions on flash acquisition Whatabirdie Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 06-23-2008 07:41 PM
Lens Acquisition KFrog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-23-2007 08:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top