Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #1291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Does that mean you need kosher salt to kill a Jewish vampire?
Zombies, not vampires. I think wood stakes still do the trick on vampires (if True Blood has taught me anything).

10-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #1292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Zombies, not vampires. I think wood stakes still do the trick on vampires (if True Blood has taught me anything).
Oops, my bad! And here I was investigating salt futures.

Has anyone investigated the relative efficacy of various wood species for the vampire stakes?
10-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #1293
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Oops, my bad! And here I was investigating salt futures.

Has anyone investigated the relative efficacy of various wood species for the vampire stakes?
Uh, bloodwood?

CW
10-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #1294
Veteran Member

Ob Topic:
My latest acquisition is a headache. Probably from reading some of the above. Other than that, I just got another set of M42 tubes. Woo woo. But I overpaid for them. Maybe that's the headache cause.

10-17-2011, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #1295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ob Topic:
My latest acquisition is a headache. Probably from reading some of the above. Other than that, I just got another set of M42 tubes. Woo woo. But I overpaid for them. Maybe that's the headache cause.
You, the deal master, overpay? Does that mean you spent $3 dollars shipped, instead of a buck and a quarter?
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #1296
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
We've had a really bad zombie problem here in Atlanta for about the last year. In fact, there is an attack being shown on AMC right now that happened about 20 miles south of me. So in anticipation of the zombie apocalypse, here is my latest purchase. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 with a flashlight on the left rail, green laser sight on the bottom rail and a 4-16X50 scope with either black cross hairs for day shooting and green lighted cross hairs for low light. Only thing lacking is a bayonet lug. Zombies beware!!!!

Does that like shoot those plastic Airsoft bb's? I got like a whole jug of these plastic airsoft BB's someone must be wanting. Somewhere. (Actually, btw, I really do. Have these. Like a quart or more of em. Old habits kicked in at one point and I trashpicked em, still all sealed.) The label promises exceptional qualities of accuracy. I'm kind of thinking they'd be pretty in a goldfish bowl or something. If the plastic wouldn't kill the fish.

As for zombies, I am of course well-known to be a 12th level cleric-ranger. That's how we handle it Boston-style. You just turn em. 'Go home. Go home, Go home. Wait a minute, you're not even dead, what the F is wrong with you.... Get. Shh. Get. ' All right, any undead revenants *not* representing an unredressed complaint of the ancestors, go try and figure out how to drool over there. The rest of you, take a number and we'll get to you. Thank you for your patience.

(Actually, though, I think I was just showing Suckerpunch clips, and I think I'd have to go with the katana and maybe a .45 to say, if necessary on points of etiquette, 'I'll greet you mouldering decaying gentlefolk presently. "

Funny how that whole 'Zombie Apocalypse' image is so compelling, though, it's almost as though people had some kind of deep-seated fears that everyone around was like some kind of mob of mindless soul-less brain eaters intent on consuming and overwhelming any spark of life they might blindly encounter en masse, or something.

I'll mention we ain't dead yet.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-17-2011 at 08:41 PM.
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #1297
Veteran Member

My Rokinon(Samyang) 14mm/2.8 arrived today, tomorrow the 8mm/3.5 should be here (free next day delivery). Got great deals on both, hope I don't regret getting these instead of the DA15 or the Sigma 8-16, but the price was right and I'm loving the 14 already.

Last edited by kenafein; 10-18-2011 at 12:04 AM.
10-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #1298
Veteran Member

All you need to kill zombies is a power spray gun and salt water. Any decent mambo can tell you that, and no, Jewish Zombies don't have to keep Kosher, any salt will do. Or you could simply just blow their heads off or them to pieces, torch them. Anything that severs the spine or that reduces them to tons of pieces will do. They can't just reassemble though the body parts, hands in particular, have been known to move forward for a while after death. Me, I just keep a flame thrower handy, just in case...
10-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #1299
Veteran Member

Felt like Christmas today. Well, half Christmas. My bad jugement buy, the Takumar 28-80 arrived today. Have mixed feelings about it, but we'll see. Took it out for a test run this evening and I must say I got some decent shots of the puppies with it. The colours don't look as rich as my 50-200 Pentax DA, but it still managed some great action shots. Still going through the macros atm.

Interesting comparison I thought to the Pentax M 1:1.7 that arrived yesterday. I miss the fast shots the 1.7 prime provides, but love the versatility of the zoom. Can I combine the two into the Perfect Lens without having to fork out the cash?

Also went via an op shop and picked up some Extension Tubes. I've already got some ordered from China on the way. But these were in mint condition in a proper pentax box, and are the branded Asahi ones with a leather case! Gosh extension tubes are a steeep steeeeeeep learning curve! They're 50mm ones and I attached the prime on them and everything's super blurry. I managed to get some focused shots, but had to be basically touching whatever it was I was trying to take a photo to make them work! I think I'll be spending this evening reading up on how to use extension tubes.
10-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #1300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You, the deal master, overpay? Does that mean you spent $3 dollars shipped, instead of a buck and a quarter?
*snarf*
10-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #1301
Veteran Member

My overpayment: I won't reveal my hidden shame, other than to say that I get all wobble-in-the-ass when I have something in my hands and I get too excited to look real real closely. Or maybe I just hallucinated that the tubes said Honeywell Pentax. Ah well, can't never have too many tubes...

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Interesting comparison I thought to the Pentax M 1:1.7 that arrived yesterday. I miss the fast shots the 1.7 prime provides, but love the versatility of the zoom. Can I combine the two into the Perfect Lens without having to fork out the cash?
Short answer: NO. Ain't no zooms that fast. None. None at all nowhere. Not for our dSLRs, anyway. Oh, do I have a fast beauty! A Bell & Howell Filmovara 15-25mm f/1.2 and it only cost ONE BUCK! It *might* work on a Q... But for miniature-format (FF and APS) cameras, the fastest zooms ever made were about f/2.6 IIRC. The fastest zooms you'll find will be f/2.8 and they won't be cheap. Ah, some f/3.5 or f/2.8-4 zooms won't cost much. But with zooms, SPEED KILLS (your budget).

QuoteQuote:
Gosh extension tubes are a steeep steeeeeeep learning curve! They're 50mm ones and I attached the prime on them and everything's super blurry. I managed to get some focused shots, but had to be basically touching whatever it was I was trying to take a photo to make them work! I think I'll be spending this evening reading up on how to use extension tubes.
Quick start: Use the shortest tube. With all three tubes (50mm long) behind a 50mm lens, you're at 1:1 magnification at a working distance of 50mm from the lens' optical center. That is CLOSE. Shorter tube sections give less magnification and more elbow room. Take it slow and easy, like housebreaking a wolverine.
10-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #1302
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
...Ah well, can't never have too many tubes...
And that my friends is the quote of the day!

QuoteQuote:
Short answer: NO. Ain't no zooms that fast. None. None at all nowhere. Not for our dSLRs, anyway... Ah, some f/3.5 or f/2.8-4 zooms won't cost much. But with zooms, SPEED KILLS (your budget).
dANGnabbit. I knew it was too much to hope for. Moving dogs are pretty diffick-ult to photograph at the best of times. *sigh*

QuoteQuote:
Oh, do I have a fast beauty! A Bell & Howell Filmovara 15-25mm f/1.2 and it only cost ONE BUCK! It *might* work on a Q... But for miniature-format (FF and APS) cameras, the fastest zooms ever made were about f/2.6 IIRC. The fastest zooms you'll find will be f/2.8 and they won't be cheap.
Geez Rico... a BUCK?!?! I need to come visit California!

QuoteQuote:
Quick start: Use the shortest tube. With all three tubes (50mm long) behind a 50mm lens, you're at 1:1 magnification at a working distance of 50mm from the lens' optical center. That is CLOSE. Shorter tube sections give less magnification and more elbow room. Take it slow and easy, like housebreaking a wolverine.
BWAHAHAHAHA... where do you come up with this stuff Rico? Housebreaking a wolverine? Do we wanna know?

Working distance of 50mm eh? No wonder I had trouble focusing at 30cm. *shakes head* Thanks for the tipe!
10-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #1303
Veteran Member

Geez Rico... a BUCK?!?! I need to come visit California!
Well, it was US$1.25 shipped, actually. Close enough. Hay, all sorts of superfast Super-8 and CCTV lenses are available for just a few bucks. They're just impossible for our dSLRs. I have a project to chop a cheap P&S, replace its fixed crappy lens with a D-mount and stick the Filmovara onto it. That'll look pretty funny, like a Corona cigar protruding from a Luckies cig pack.

QuoteQuote:
BWAHAHAHAHA... where do you come up with this stuff Rico? Housebreaking a wolverine? Do we wanna know?
Hay, wolverine-breaking is a rewarding career! Just be sure to wear double-thick elephant-hide gloves. And full body armour. A taser helps too.

QuoteQuote:
Working distance of 50mm eh? No wonder I had trouble focusing at 30cm. *shakes head* Thanks for the tipe!
They're for close-up work. Real close work requires tripod or flash. Or a supernova.
10-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #1304
Veteran Member

My bad jugement buy, the Takumar 28-80 arrived today. Have mixed feelings about it, but we'll see. Took it out for a test run this evening and I must say I got some decent shots of the puppies with it. The colours don't look as rich as my 50-200 Pentax DA, but it still managed some great action shots. Still going through the macros atm.
For the price you can pick one up for, this is a fine lens. You are comparing a $25 lens to a $150 plus lens. The problem with it is it doesn't have the SMC coatings, so you can lose contrast in certain situations. You could pick up a cheap hood.
10-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #1305
Banned

Black paint SV. don’t ask me how much I paid for it though, because I won’t tell you. just know that I paid far more than it was really worth.
Attached Images